Banned
Post Likes
Prediction....?

Eng+4. :eng:

Ref has a great game.:eng::biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
St Nige is Reffing... I predict four bon mot, seven jokes and one youtube snippet.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Lots of blocking from both sides at restarts and kick chase

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So why would you NOT go to TMO for a try like the NZ one? Can't understand why St Nige didn't go upstairs

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Lots of blocking from both sides at restarts and kick chase

Kiwis are experts at putting in or leaving players in "disadvantageous" positions. England doing a pretty job at it too.

Both sides right on the limit of offside lines, tackle/ruck entry, tackler release, jackling, etc - real challenge for the Team of Three and doing pretty well so far in one of the quickest and most physical matches I have seen.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The ball was not out, so surely a PK to England..

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Law 16.6
NO has said the ball was on the line, ruck over. Which makes me wonder why he didn't give the try, looked like a grounding in that case (but looked short anyway on my TV).

- - - Updated - - -

Why was the TMO only recommending a penalty?

Because kicking out is ok on TV!! Good choice from NO to watch it again.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
jonesp92:285826 said:
Law 16.6
NO has said the ball was on the line, ruck over. Which makes me wonder why he didn't give the try, looked like a grounding in that case (but looked short anyway on my TV).

If it was on the line, yes ruck over, and a try.
Seems to me try or PK.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The ball was not out, so surely a PK to England..

When ? Are you talking about whitelock try attempt in ruck ? As soon as ball hits line it is in-goal and ruck is over.

I saw it as not grounding but a knock on - hence correct to give a scrum 5 m to England.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Stupid stupid PK to give away, diving on man on ground

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
St Nige earning his crust in last fifteen minute

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
NZ try at 70 is mins why is no 20 allowed to block so close to the line, he goes through the gap then a second player before the third then takes the ball in. Seems to be obstruction to me. Any thoughts?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Which Kiwi do you card ?

St Nige needed to be clear as to number to blame and communicate it to McCaw - he didn't. This is something we dril into the Level 5 Group guys.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nigel's referee stocks really have fallen. Three completely incorrect decisions.

54: The Non awarding of a try to Sam Whitelock,
The ball was on the line so Whitelock only required to apply ANY downwards pressure, which he did BEFORE the ball left his hand. This was a try all day long.

65m: The non-awarding of a penalty try to NZ

The offside by the white player was a clear and obvious cynical infringement which was intended to prevent a try being scored, and it did so. This should have been a PT and a YC against the offside player.

79m: The Penalty Try
The first scrum prior to the scrum at which the PT was awarded was legitimately turned through 90°. It should have been turnover and scrum feed to NZ. The scrum itself was also legitimately being turned by England through 90°. Again, this should have been a turnover.

Additionally, the circumstances surrounding the YC to Coles was sheer comedy; a referee and a TMO both allegedly speaking English, and they could not understand each other.

England were unable to score while Coles was in the bin, but NZ managed do score while they were a man short. They were unable to score at all in the second half other than by a dubious PT that was gifted to them. They were beaten in all the key match stats.

running metres 204 - 446
Possession 46-54 - second half 40-60
Territory 44-56 - second half 31-69
Clean Breaks 4-8
Offloads 6-13

The score of 21-24 flattered England, they simply were not that good.