England v South Africa

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Re: Blow it up on a mark.

Just the best the IRB allow his union put forward...then sack...then rehire from a different Union!

He's calls it fairly decent but his show pony antics lead to game control issues and however insignificant it is, blowing it up on a mark is poor form for a test ref.

He may have his little quirks but in games where the players can go more than 2 phases without dropping a pass or knocking on, he usually manages a fast, quality match. Can't ask for much more than that.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Just the best the IRB allow his union put forward...then sack...then rehire from a different Union!

He's calls it fairly decent but his show pony antics lead to game control issues and however insignificant it is, blowing it up on a mark is poor form for a test ref.

He may have his little quirks but in games where the players can go more than 2 phases without dropping a pass or knocking on, he usually manages a fast, quality match. Can't ask for much more than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn stutter is back

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought he had a decent game. A few instances I thought the break down ball was being slowed, and the YC for DH could have gone either way - slow mo exaggerated it, but can't complain really (England specs!). Thought he managed the game well.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hartley stamp was worse than Coles last week, I think if you stamp on a joint you expect a YC. . It was rather petulant also totally pointless..

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bodes well for a eng vs Aus scrap. 2 shitty teams trying to figure it out.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Quade C and Genia made a difference to Aus speed behind the breakdown, and created more momentum - expect them to start next time out? Or at least a Genia/Foley combo?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
True...or now that Kurtly Beale and Quade C are in camp together, expect them to catch up with old buddy O'connor at a London night club! Party time. :bday: :chair::chair:
:sarc:

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

And yet he is consistently chosen to referee test matches. I guess he must be very good at making it up as he goes along...

Well, I suppose the other scenario is that as an international referee he doesnt know the most basic of laws and the IRB is happy with that.

Whatever.

didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I was impressed, particularly his use of AR and TMO

Antipodean

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Was a bit surprised to see no comment on this thread regarding the legality of Schalk Burger's try for Saffies to get the lead back after England drew level 20-20.

I didn't see the game live and was only idly watching the replay on cable when I noticed the replay of that said try...Coeztee had peeled off the back of the maul after giving the ball to Burger, and only had to amble 2 metres to the line right near the corner post in full view of the AR. Burger was still bound to him when Coeztee ran into two defenders (or was it one?), allowing Burger an easy try.

Isn't that a truck and trailer situation? Given that Coeztee had peeled right off the maul and only had air in front of him in moving forward to the goal line.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Was a bit surprised to see no comment on this thread regarding the legality of Schalk Burger's try for Saffies to get the lead back after England drew level 20-20.

I didn't see the game live and was only idly watching the replay on cable when I noticed the replay of that said try...Coeztee had peeled off the back of the maul after giving the ball to Burger, and only had to amble 2 metres to the line right near the corner post in full view of the AR. Burger was still bound to him when Coeztee ran into two defenders (or was it one?), allowing Burger an easy try.

Isn't that a truck and trailer situation? Given that Coeztee had peeled right off the maul and only had air in front of him in moving forward to the goal line.

I agree. I posted so in the other thread - I forgot this one was running.