England V Wales Yellow Card Decision

cymruboy

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have just been watching the game and heard Romain Poite telling the front rows to push square on. I am baffled by his decision to sin bin Jenkins as I couldn't see him not pushing straight or caving the scrum in. Can anyone explain what happened as I didn't see the infringement and jenkins seamed puzzled as well. There were a number of times the England scrum pushed before the ball was fed which were not called properly I felt. Thanks Dan

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
100% correct decision :eng: :clap::biggrin:

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
If you watch the highlights, check out where Jenkins backside is pointing after the ball goes in. :eng:

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Was a good decision by Poite. Thought he had a very good game. Only thing I would say is that he could perhaps be slightly less mean to the TMO ;)

'I have a recommendation'... well sod you actually I'm just gonna go on my own! I think Poite should have at least listened then decided whether to stick with his own opinion.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Toby falatlau takes a pass from the line out whilst jumping into an England player, and wales get a penalty.
What was the England player supposed to do?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you watch the highlights, check out where Jenkins backside is pointing after the ball goes in. :eng:

And after three warnings- look at the overhead camera shot for confirmation

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have just been watching the game and heard Romain Poite telling the front rows to push square on. I am baffled by his decision to sin bin Jenkins as I couldn't see him not pushing straight or caving the scrum in. Can anyone explain what happened as I didn't see the infringement and jenkins seamed puzzled as well. There were a number of times the England scrum pushed before the ball was fed which were not called properly I felt. Thanks Dan

although bitterly disappointed with the result as an Abertawe man and member of the Hampshire Taffia, Poite was right on with his ATP and warning then YC. Gethin clearly "walked round" and pushed early before Care had presented the ball. The overhead camera shot confirmed it 100%.

to give them their due England have found another gear, possibly two, in a very good performance but Wales never got into theirs fully and did not compete at the gain line nor penetrate a good England defence - at one stage I saw the possession stats at 65% to Wales, but with only H'penny's PKs as scores. Mr Gatland has some thinking to do.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Toby falatlau takes a pass from the line out whilst jumping into an England player, and wales get a penalty.
What was the England player supposed to do?

very simple - wait until he lands before you tackle him :biggrin:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Sorry Simon, I do not agree. he couldn't wait as Toby jumped into him. Not deliberately dangerous but definitely not a penalty. It looked wrong, scrum at least.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
very simple - wait until he lands before you tackle him :biggrin:

What a crap decision, .....so you can get protection from being tackled - by jumping at a player - WTF !

ps, ....Who were those two new players for Wales today? Hugh Jerrorcount & Ron option :eng:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

Dan, when a side is utterly dominant in the scrum, it's often the case that the #1 is driving inwards on the opposition tighthead. Jenkins has got away with this so often he probably thinks it's legal - so when Poite tells SW to get Jenkins to drive straight, he doesn't take it seriously and picks up a second warning. The third time was, IIRC, before the ball even came in, and with Poite on his own side. The card was correct, IMO.

I thought Hartley was unlucky to be penalised when May was taken out in the air, jumping for the high ball, causing him to spill forwards. Granted DH shouldn't have played the ball, but the first offence was against May.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I thought Hartley was unlucky to be penalised when May was taken out in the air, jumping for the high ball, causing him to spill forwards. Granted DH shouldn't have played the ball, but the first offence was against May.

We all agreed, wide disapproval muttered in our pub.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Was a good decision by Poite. Thought he had a very good game. Only thing I would say is that he could perhaps be slightly less mean to the TMO ;)

'I have a recommendation'... well sod you actually I'm just gonna go on my own! I think Poite should have at least listened then decided whether to stick with his own opinion.

And if he disagrees with the TMO decision, he has to air that in front of millions. Nope, if he sees it on the screen and is content, then the REFEREE should make the decision IMO.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry Simon, I do not agree. he couldn't wait as Toby jumped into him. Not deliberately dangerous but definitely not a penalty. It looked wrong, scrum at least.

Totally agree. What 's next? Jumping everytime some passes to you? RP had a great game.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes

You've got your Llanelli lens in, your Glamorgan goggles on and your Swansea specs to hand. Step back and look at it with Neath neutrality - oh yeah, that's what you are doing!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I have no problem with the Yellow for Gethin Jenkins. However, two PKs and a warning for Dylan Hartley is followed up by a foul play PK and not even a word. Something not right there.

All that said the far better side won and Gatland has been found out twice in this series. Wales are easy to defend against. We really need to produce a plan B or we will fall behind England and Ireland. Both countries worked Wales out and won, in the case of England, far more easily than the score suggested.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I do find it funny that one side of the game accuses the other of goggles! Pot and kettle boys! Pot and kettle!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes

Two red players looking at the ball one White player looking at the ball. Not C & O at all unless you are wearing white. Poite did not think so. But he had neither white nor red on.

It was clumsy and I have had no problem with a PK against Wales. Several PKs both ways could have gone the other way. Only one side was PK'd for standing up for instance.

Has Ian Cook posted some of your comments he would have been attacked by you for being a one eyed All black.

As I posted above we have a few pots calling out the kettles!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What a crap decision, .....so you can get protection from being tackled - by jumping at a player - WTF !

ps, ....Who were those two new players for Wales today? Hugh Jerrorcount & Ron option :eng:

no Browner - TF was jumping to catch a ball, not jumping into a tackle - in the latter case I agree, in the former which is what happened today let the catcher land first.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
no Browner - TF was jumping to catch a ball, not jumping into a tackle - in the latter case I agree, in the former which is what happened today let the catcher land first.

TF was jumping to catch a pass .... So you're saying a player who Jumps into the air as he's about catch a ball gets protection from being tackled, if so you've just invented a new way of winning a match from PK's .... boing IMO this is a jump to far !