[Law] England Women vs Wales Women - player off feet playing ball

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I seem to remember getting a right old spanking for using such terms:chin: when discussing differing applications of the same laws:

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?21391-Application-of-Laws

Really?

] ...in the girl's game...

...Can we have this for the men's game as well please?

Context! You were comparing MEN with girls

Where as I was comparing skilled agains unskilled / Pro against amateur / ERC Cuo against South Old Craptonians IV team cup

"Women agaist girls" as opposed to "Men against boys".

Had you said "in the women's game" Or " ...Can we have this for the boy's game as well please? " Ie linking boys to girls or had you linked men to women you might not have been spanked.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The AR was immediately adjacent with an unobstucted view and the action was very evident - this wasn't a hidden scarmble on the floor with jacklers and sealers obscuring a view.

Appreciating stills are only that nonetheless this shows the relative positions and openess of view etc for the AR

didds

Didds

Im curious to know what makes you think this is or should be an ARs call? This sort of call is not one in the ARs remit.

Would any referee on here really make that call for the referee?? (even if comm'ed up? (surely no way you would flag it)?

From my AR experience I cant see any referee requesting or briefing for AR input on open play/tackle call like this. I certainly wouldn't be making that call into a referee even when mic'ed up. IMO this is a decision entirely owned by the referee and if they screw it up it is all on them.
As a referee with ARs I do not ask an AR to be feeding in live calls about open play and TR (caveat: unless clearly blindside).

So as obvious as it may seem that the AR could make a call - it's one typically where the AR, IMO, stays quiet.
We cant have a situation where the AR is refereeing the game as it's an unnecessary distraction for the referee (a la WB! and how did that work out for Williams.)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Ah ) i just rpesumed ARs were incontact dialoigue with the ref as to various stuff. if that's not the case then fair enough and hence why this AR kept schrumm. Im surprised however that noody else has yet brought up this glaring anomoaly in my thought process.

Fair does - is he has to keep schtumm and the ref is unsighhted etc then that would epxlain a lot :)

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
As a referee with ARs I do not ask an AR to be feeding in live calls about open play and TR (caveat: unless clearly blindside).

Well this would be a clear example maybe of a situation where an AR has a clear view of a "blindside" action as the other players are potentially between the offence and the ref. But if the ref hasnt asked for such feeback then fair enough it wont come.

cheers for the explanantion :)

didds

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
apologies I hope I didn't come across as I was having a crack. But I think that's the misconception from most that ARs can, and do, make calls on everything. They don't.
Touch and foul play is the default...anything above that is usually by specific request from the referee and now days it is more and more to get the right decision but it cant be everything (one day Ill post up my AR brief that I ask from my ARs to assist me).

mind you, your country brethren may disagree with me and have a different AR remit over there than here!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not at all Menace :) I didnt know, youdid, and I appreciate the explanation and I am NOW better informed. Not a problem - I'd rather know :)

awaiting updates from the UK based chaps and chappesses :)

didds

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Maybe it's just my ignorance but couldn't it have been interpreted that the red player had never been tackled so didn't have to release, and as a player going to ground to recover the ball she was attempting to get up with it as per law 13.1.a?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The player on her feet doesn't have to let red up, but a player off feet can't prevent a player on feet from taking the ball - red has to release

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The player on her feet doesn't have to let red up, but a player off feet can't prevent a player on feet from taking the ball - red has to release

Well yes, if Red was clearly still on the floor during the tussle I would agree with you 100%.

But in this case, doesn't it depend on the interpretation of "get up", and "immediately".

For most of the tussle, Red certainly isn't on the ground any more.

And very shortly afterwards, they are all bundled into touch.

I'm just trying to think what was going through the ref's mind, and why she didn't blow immediately.

[LAWS]
  • 13. 1. Players, who go to ground to gather the ball or who go to ground with the ball, must immediately:
    • a) Get up with the ball; or
    • b) Play (but not kick) the ball; or
    • c) Release the ball.
[/LAWS]