Ermmmmmmm!

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Penalty against R 17 for high tackle. I've got the number and St I have the advantage. They go 25 meters up the pitch I shout advantage over. Then their winger gets shot by a sniper falls over and the balls spills forward. I peep then peep peep time off.
Call R 17 and skipper to me. I issue yellow to 17 for the tackle but the restart is to R after knock on.
Myself and the assessor were not sure if this is correct or did I sell my bullshit well?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Correct for me. You played advantage and deemed it over (I'll assume that calling it over was "correct". You are the judge etc). At the next stoppage you deal with the offender and restart according to the stoppage.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
What if the chap you were planning on binning had intercepted the ball and run the length of the pitch to score? (After you had called advantage over)

Would you award the try and then bin him? Is that credible?
Would he now avoid a binning? Is that fair?

Also consider a possible backlash to this flashpoint incident occurring whilst you are looking for an advantage. There are definite benefits to blowing immediately when you see a high tackle worthy of a yellow card.

Last edited:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
^^^^ This ^^^^.
I did thankfully get away with it. The victim saw I had seen and everyone knew it was Penalty advantage. But I see what your saying.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Whether or not you play advantage after foul play depends on a lot of things, "temperature" of the game being the obvious one. but it is there to keep the game flowing.

Compare the OP scenario with this:

A player is offside ref signals advantage (all happy so far?).

The side gains an advantage and you call "advantage over" (Still happy?).

Interception now occurs - Advantage is over bad luck. Play moves on. At the next stoppage we card the offender for repeated intentional offending (still happy or not?).

If the original offender of his team score after an advantage is gained and "blown". What is the difference? So by logic, does the nature of the offence change it? I'd say no (with the caveat that if a flare up was likely then I'll keep advantage very short.)

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I would consider that a better quality of advantage would be required when it is compared to a PK against a 14-man defence rather than normal open play. After all, the referee is the sole judge of Advantage. The OP's situation may still arise, but less frequently.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If you create a 3 man overlap against 14 or 15 you've prpbably got your advantage.

Dealing with the facts as presented. Advantage was played / accrued and the game moved on. Assuming that the judgement was correct there is nothing, in principle with playing advantage and giving a card later.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think for a YC-worthy high tackle you are normally going to blow straightaway. Only play advantage for a clear and imminent try scoring opportunity.

1 - its a flashpoint, you want to be clear you are dealing with it
2 - they want to play against 14 men... that's a an advantage

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
What if the chap you were planning on binning had intercepted the ball and run the length of the pitch to score? (After you had called advantage over)

Would you award the try and then bin him? Is that credible?
Would he now avoid a binning? Is that fair?

Also consider a possible backlash to this flashpoint incident occurring whilst you are looking for an advantage. There are definite benefits to blowing immediately when you see a high tackle worthy of a yellow card.

Interesting.
So if Mr intercept grabs the ball, are you suggesting we should immediately blow & YC the player , under the theory of ' He can't personally take advantage' because he shouldn't be on the pitch, ie ...your willingness to delay sanctioning is ONLY to benefit the non offending team play rather than his team or him.

??

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
I never said that I would delay sanctioning the player.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
To clarify the philosophical point, let's change the scenario.

Blue have a team warning for ruck offences when Blue 12 comes in the side of a ruck. Clear YC, but not foul play. Referee calls advantage. Red move the ball quickly, big gain in ground, advantage over, before the winger is tackled near the goal-line. He flips the ball back, straight into the arms of Blue 12, who runs past some wrong footed opponents into the clear.

Do you blow your whistle to stop play because Equity says he should not have been on the field?

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Daftmedic was correct in his handling of the situation, but as waspsfan points out it opens up a potential nightmare senario where the YC recipient scores a try. Again its correct in law,but its a hard sell and in a tight game could make life very difficult for you as a ref.

So abiding by my motto of KISS (keep it simple stupid) unless there was a try in the offing I would blow straight away and YC there and then.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Handling was correct.

Never mind the well if the dog ran on the pitch carrying a tree, then 6 aliens from the stand threw a giraffe on the pitch etc etc.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Handling was correct.

Never mind the well if the dog ran on the pitch carrying a tree, then 6 aliens from the stand threw a giraffe on the pitch etc etc.

I wish people would stop bringing up the dog_tree_aliens_giraffe game again, i am trying to move on.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is not an issue which the refs need to mediate, instead players and refs just need to understand the risks.

So the refs will always try to play the advantage described in the examples above and players have to understand that there is an outside chance that after advantage is called over things could go badly wrong as described above. Its a risk they have to take and is outside the control of the referee.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If advantage is there play on UNLESS you have a good reason not to do so. There will always be specific incidents where a prompt whistle is the right thing to do. But there will be many where playing advantage is the right action. To answer the point that playing against 14 is an advantage. Indeed and that is what will happen for 10 minutes after the next stoppage!