Exchange Number 2

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
This time I'm off to Manchester going to Oldham to do Oldham RUFC vs St Edwards OB. I've got a friend studying at Manchester Uni, so might make a weekend out of it. Am looking forward to this exchange once again :D

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Still cycling to get up there?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
a while since I've done these teams but would expect Oldham to win. Just looked at the website and it isn't on the fixture list so either this has been rearranged or maybe a lancashire cup/plate match so make sure you know competition rules.
Once missed the club bus home from Oldham in my playing days that was a long night !!!

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
League table would agree with you. But it's a league match and on the Nov. 2nd, the website has it.

a while since I've done these teams but would expect Oldham to win. Just looked at the website and it isn't on the fixture list so either this has been rearranged or maybe a lancashire cup/plate match so make sure you know competition rules.
Once missed the club bus home from Oldham in my playing days that was a long night !!!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
L8 or L7 exchange Cody? Good to see you being given a good chance to step up!

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Oldham is the L8 match on this exchange. I am heading in the opposite direction to do London NZ-Stevenage.

Oldham will be a strong enough side with forwards who will get stuck in! They can be a bit vocal so put a lid on it early on. Massive in-goal area, only beaten by Vale of Lune in my experience.

Can't tell you much about St Edwards as their home matches are covered by Liverpool society so we only get to see them on visits to Manchester and I have not had the pleasure yet.

Oldham will be a couple of degrees colder than everywhere else in the country (or it just seems that way). But they do still have a big communal bath (if that's your thing).

Enjoy.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This reminds me of that episode in a Finbarr Saunders story where Mr Gimlet and Mrs Saunders were travelling round the country delivering Christmas presents - concluding with that immortal line:-

"I'm going to get Mrs Saunders to Oldham then I'm going to Bangor as fast as I can!"

"Fnarr Fnarr!"

View attachment 2673

Good luck!

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
And the pub trick?

Put two coins on the table and challenge people to make three towns out of them. When they give up, you demonstrate.
"Dublin" (Put one on the other.)
"Oldham" (Pick then up.)
"Bath" (Throw them in someone's beer with as much splash as possible.)

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
LNZ is a fun club, they've struggled a few times away with FR but at home are a strong club. Food isn't the greatest but normally you get a decent changing room. You're literally like 1.5 miles from where I liver there. In general enjoyable club full of a bunch of Kiwis. Not sure on Stevenage.

Oldham is the L8 match on this exchange. I am heading in the opposite direction to do London NZ-Stevenage.

Oldham will be a strong enough side with forwards who will get stuck in! They can be a bit vocal so put a lid on it early on. Massive in-goal area, only beaten by Vale of Lune in my experience.

Can't tell you much about St Edwards as their home matches are covered by Liverpool society so we only get to see them on visits to Manchester and I have not had the pleasure yet.

Oldham will be a couple of degrees colder than everywhere else in the country (or it just seems that way). But they do still have a big communal bath (if that's your thing).

Enjoy.