Feet or Hands?

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've noticed a lot of players starting to get ready in close to the ruck in a similar position to a sprinter or NFL lineman. Crouched down with a hand on the deck, ready to charge at the attacking player, particularly a forward in close.

Law 16.5, Offside at the Ruck, states "If a player who is behind the offside line oversteps it and does not join the ruck the player is offside."

By stating that it's the overstep that causes the offside, my interpretation was that it was just both feet behind the last feet of the ruck in order to be onside. However I've had a few people indicate that all body parts on the ground (ie including the hands) have to be behind the line.

Thoughts?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I personally keep all of their body behind the back foot. Otherwise a player who had their feet behind the line, but are crouched could be 1m or more closer to the attackers.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
If any part of the person touches the ground ahead of the offside line, he's offside

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just manage it, if you want them back get them back, you set your standards.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I prefer to see them managed to have all irbody behind the back foot - "push back please", "behind the back foot please", "check your offside line please"

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
This happened in the Scotland Wales game if I'm not mistaking.