FOR USE WITH NLD DEVELOPMENT SQUAD & INCOMING EXCHANGE REFEREES

Referee Referee Level Referee Society
Upnunder 8 NLDRFURS

Match Type Match Level Match Date
NLD CUP 9 3rd September 2011

Home Team Pts Pts Away Team
Red 11 v 40 Green

Challenge of the Match

This match turned out to be a strong challenge for James.

Red, relegated last season, had the appearance of a side used to losing and they blame everyone except themselves, especially the referee, for the position they find themselves in. Most breakdowns and stoppages seemed to bring comments or queries, mostly through the captain, on perceived injustices and this snowballed as an ill-informed crowd joined in.

A home player was injured at a ruck. through no malicious intent, but after this stoppage James found himself looking over his shoulder as ‘off the ball’ niggles crept in and there were undertones that the game could get out of hand.

Unable to pinpoint culprits James spoke to both sets of captains on a number of occasions but with the home skipper just paying lip service to what had been said friction continued to the final whistle.

Green had marginally the better set of backs and it was this, together some slack defending, that saw them run out deserved winners. Today was not the greatest advert for the game.

Match Management

James was quick around the park especially to the tackle and rucks which were the main flashpoint areas although I would have liked him to be more pro-active when he arrived (see Development Areas). Overall he communicated well with good primary and secondary signals and whistle. He played advantage sensibly and, although the skills levels of both sides were poor, many of the instances offered proved beneficial.

The one yellow card shown to a Green (2/6) was deserved although this was in retaliation to an earlier incident that had resulted in the same player having to leave the field for a blood injury.

The line-outs and mauls presented few problems and James positioned himself well at the set-piece and breakdowns. Scrums were untidy but safe with just one reset at the first set-piece of the match and no collapses. James kept his wits about him and his good judgement, in what and what not to penalise, led to a commendably low penalty count in what was a difficult game to keep under control.

Potential based on the performance in and the match level of this game
Should be considered for up-grading

Is at the correct grade x

Should be considered for a lower level game

Date 3rd September 2011
Referee Strengths
Scrum : Line-out : Tackle : Ruck : Maul : Advantage : Positioning : Communication

Line-out

Presented no problems.
Asked for and maintained and varied his position between front and back.
Ensured that the backs did not encroach until the line-out had finished

Scrums

Although untidy James monitored these well with clear and concise engagement instructions and ensured that the front and back-rowers stayed legal prior to and after engagement.

Positioning

Arrived at the breakdowns early.
Took up good positions according to whether fast or slow ball looked likely.

Development Areas

Tackle/Ruck

I would encourage James to be more pro-active in these areas by reminding tacklers to release move and also to advise arriving players when the ruck has formed.

Positioning

Remember to scan the defenders for off-side.

When at the back of the line-out do not stand too far infield. This could put you in a weak position if there is a short throw, front peel or a marginal not five metres.

When moving to the tail of the lin-out keep your eyes on the thrower.

1st Half 2nd Half
Match Statistics 0 - 20 21 - 40 41- 60 61 - 80 Total
Scrums 6 4 7 5 22
Line-outs 6 6 6 11 29
Penalty Kicks 4 3 2 3 12
Free Kicks 2 0 0 0 2

Card Analysis 1 - 20 21 - 40 41 - 60 61 - 80 Total
Team Home Away Home Away Home Away Home Away Home Away
Yellow 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
Red 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

PK & FK Analysis
Half Minute Type Against Offence
1 2 FK H Lineout - Unsporting Conduct
1 3 PK H Open Play - Obstruction
1 7 PK A Tackle - Straight To Floor
1 8 PK A Ruck - Handling
1 15 FK H Scrum - Early Engagement
1 17 PK A Tackle - Side Entry
1 28 PK A Tackle - Not Releasing
1 31 PK H Tackle - Straight To Floor
1 36 PK H Tackle - High Tackle
2 46 PK A Ruck - Foul Play
2 50 PK A Tackle - Straight To Floor
2 70 PK H Tackle - Straight To Floor
2 75 PK A Tackle - Straight To Floor
2 78 PK H Line-out - Unsporting Conduct

Total Kicks Against Home PK 5 : FK 2
Total Kicks Against Away PK 7 : FK 0

Scoring Pattern
Half Minute Type Team Score
1 8 Penalty Home 3 - 0
1 13 Goal Away 3 - 7
1 21 Goal Away 3 - 14
1 28 Penalty Home 6 - 14
1 32 Try Away 6 - 19
2 51 Try Home 11 - 19
2 55 Goal Away 11 - 26
2 61 Goal Away 11 - 33
2 82 Goal Away 11 - 40

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
sounds like a good report :clap:, but only 12 PK's in what sounds like a niggly game seems very low :chin:

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
65 stoppages plus shots at goal plus tries...you got 51 points out of them...sounds like you did a damn good job keeping them on their feet and producing quick ball.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sounds like a hard day at the office?
Assessor seems to think you did well despite the players trying to ruin it :clap:

I would like to put my first assessment from Saturday on this thread as well if that's ok, but will wait until everyone has had a chance to read yours.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Scrums were untidy but safe with just one reset at the first set-piece of the match and no collapses.

Referee Strengths
Scrum
though untidy James monitored these well with clear and concise engagement instructions and ensured that the front and back-rowers stayed legal prior to and after engagement.

PKs
1 15 FK H Scrum - Early Engagement
Can someone please tell me what in the name of Geebus constitutes a "TIDY" Scrum? Of 22 scrums, there was 1 reset, and 1 FK (15th minute), and the other 20 scrums ended successfully. That is a 91% success rate. That rings out "Mission Accomplished" in my book.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Can someone please tell me what in the name of Geebus constitutes a "TIDY" Scrum? Of 22 scrums, there was 1 reset, and 1 FK (15th minute), and the other 20 scrums ended successfully. That is a 91% success rate. That rings out "Mission Accomplished" in my book.
It suggests to me that there were continual reminders to bind properly, stay bound etc. Potential to go pear-shaped kept under control by good management?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
It suggests to me that there were continual reminders to bind properly, stay bound etc. Potential to go pear-shaped kept under control by good management?
It's probably just my wordsmithing, but I would expect that to read: "upnunder worked hard to maintain compliance at the set-piece. His effective management resulted in 20 of 22 successful scrums, with one early reset and FK for early engagement fully-warranted."

I read "untidy" as "the referee didnt sort out this area and it was a mess".

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Oh dear, a clear example of a report that offers so little in terms of specific relevant advice. I doubt if you had a bad game James, but it isn't clear to me as to the material impact of your actions or inaction. After each of the elements I am prompted to ask the advisor, "And what was the consequence?"

The 'Positioning' is a good case - Did any of the things which might happen, actually happen? If you failed to spot something which never happened then you can't be marked for not being there in case it did.

Hopefully you will get another assessor who can explain how certain actions enabled eg quick open restarts for constructive play development or how other actions resulted in eg dangerous collapsed scrums. Materiality to make the comments relevant.

However, not a bad report James and hopefully you got more out of the post match discussion...

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The discussion covered all the topics fully, but it is difficult for the report to cover as much ground.
Scrums were a little untidy, as there was quite a pronounced slope on the pitch in places, and the team going downhill struggled not to engage early as the front row were having to hold back their second row, so required a couple of resets before I let them engage. As they got tired this took a little longer.

Main problem in the game was the lack of support from the skippers to be honest, and all of the mystery infringements that seemed to happen after every decision.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well hopefully the assessor was constructive in discussion to help you consider different ways of addressing this main problem if, or rather when, it happens again :smile:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is my first report/assessment of the (pre)season:

Coaching Report Form

Name Phil E Referee’s Level 9 Society Warwicks
Date 03/09/11
Home Team Blue 38 v. Black 10

Description of the Match and its challenge for the Referee Game Level 9
This was a start of season friendly warm up between neighbouring clubs. The teams were a mis-match, Black bringing a depleted second team which included several young players. It was also a physical mis-match, something which the referee also had to manage at times. The challenge was to make a game of it, keep it all safe and let them play, all within the properly administered laws. It needed a firm hand, the home side went 28-0 by half time, but changes in the second half made it more competitive. The penalty count was low [8-7] and the game proved to be a useful start to everyone’s season, including the referee.

Please highlight up to three key areas for development:
After the match we discussed three main points:

MANAGEMENT: only in as far as checking the ground prior to ko to establish technical areas [they didn’t have one] and other safety aspects. The ground had a barrier all down one side, but only half way down the other. For safety this bit needed roping off, as it was an attraction to wandering touchline supporters. On this occasion it wasn’t a problem, but it might be to whoever referees them next week.

TACKLE: the home side only gave away 8 penalties, but 6 of those were for offences at the tackle in the last 12 minutes of the game. We did discuss how you might have needed to deal with this in a ‘proper’ game – in the same way you dealt with Black in the first half – no compromises, even in the last ten mins when it doesn’t affect the score.

POSITIONAL PLAY: we discussed your need to anticipate more, in order to save you chasing the play from behind. You had a tendency to fix on the ball at the ruck, then drop back, only to return to your original position. In open play if you go with the attack and the defence then run the ball back, slow down and let it come towards you rather than chase around behind. In the red zone, go to the goal line, since the touchdown is the critical area. This is perhaps something you need to discuss with your coach.

Please list up to three of the referee’s strengths in this match

SCRUM: there were 25 scrums in all, none of which collapsed. You re-set 5 on technicalities, being both preventive and informative. As a result the scrum was competitive throughout and provided good ball for both sides. You were very aware of the safety issue when Black brought on a young inexperienced prop, and resolved the matter quickly. This was very well done.

TACKLE / RUCK: you were on the spot quickly at the tackle, and ‘bossed’ it effectively. The yellow card on 35 mins was more than justified after 4 penalties and 2 warnings – and it did the trick. You were also aware of the game beginning to boil over a bit at the next two rucks, and stopped it before it did. The water break gave them the chance to calm down and it never got out of hand. Sensible refereeing.

COMMUNICATION: your pre-match chat was well-rehearsed and to the point, establishing a good rapport with players and captains and also establishing your credibility. You kept this up throughout the game, communicating effectively with whistle, voice, hand signal and eye contact. The players responded positively, there was no dissent, and you explained your decisions clearly [especially the disallowed try on the dead ball line]. Another good aspect of your management.

POTENTIAL (Please tick the appropriate box.)
This referee is capable of refereeing at the next level of game YES
This referee is correctly graded at this level
This referee would be more comfortable at a lower level game

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
SCRUM: there were 25 scrums in all ....
My game last Saturday was a Vase match, and there were 42 scrums, 25 for knock-ons. Theoretically it was Level 9. :chin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My game last Saturday was a Vase match, and there were 42 scrums, 25 for knock-ons. Theoretically it was Level 9. :chin:

The assessor thought 25 was a lot.

Well done Phil, you should be chuffed!

I am, thanks.

The positioning was the main thing, but I am convinced that was just a rustiness thing, as it wasn't a problem last season. I am still going to concentrate on it next match though.

I am pleased with the "ready for next level". I was made L9 at the end of last season, but would have been made L9 after Christmas if it hadn't been for my car crash (game abandoned). That meant the Society wanted to "just watch a couple of games" to make sure it wasn't my management that caused the problem. Unfortunately assessors were all spoken for, so it was the end of the season before I got watched (with a big endorsement) and moved up.

So to get a "ready for next level" in my first game is very heartening. Lots of work still ahead, but a good start.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well done Phil, and to your assessor who clearly offered constructive criticism and wrote a report helpful to you, your society and coach/subsequent assessors.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The assessor thought 25 was a lot.

I woulod not consider 25 scrums a lot at L5, seems to be about average.

My Level5 last Saturday had 26 (11-4-10-1) with 4 resets (all preventative) and 2 legal wheels. NB - each reset or collapse is counted as a new scrum for stats reporting purposes.

Last season's L5 reports :

29/3Resets; 19/1R; 30/6R; 30/5R; 20/4R; 33/5R/1 collapse; 29/6R; 31/6R; 32/3R; 29/5R; 33/9R + 1YC; 29/7R; 27/4R; 31/0R; 25 / 5R / 1Wheel illegal / 1C + 1YC; 28/5R/2W; 19/4R; 34/9R;