FIXED:Lrl Q299

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" border=0 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#111111 cellPadding=0 width=550><TBODY><TR><TD>Question 4 - Type: Scenario Question
Question Reference Number: 299
Blue #14 is just outside of their 22 and kicks. Gold #7 touches the ball and it deflects slightly behind Gold #7 and directly into touch at Gold's 10-metre line. What do you do?
Incorrect - You answered D.
The correct answer is: C.
19.1h : When a player anywhere in the playing area kicks the ball so that it touches or is touched by an opposition player and goes directly into touch, the throw-in is taken in-line with where the opposition player touched the ball or where the ball crossed the touch-line, if that is nearer the opposition player's goal-line.

<HR align=left color=#000000 SIZE=1 width=550>

<FORM method=post name=quiztest action=quiz.asp?ques=4&quesid=299>A. <INPUT disabled onclick=document.quiztest.submit(); value=A type=radio name=answer>Award a line-out to Gold opposite the place where Gold #7 touched the ball.
B. <INPUT disabled onclick=document.quiztest.submit(); value=B type=radio name=answer>Award a line-out to Gold where the ball went into touch.
C. <INPUT disabled onclick=document.quiztest.submit(); value=C type=radio name=answer>Award a line-out to Blue opposite the place Gold #7 touched the ball.
D. <INPUT disabled onclick=document.quiztest.submit(); value=D CHECKED type=radio name=answer>Award a line-out to Blue where the ball went into touch.
<INPUT value=10 type=hidden name=questionnumber> </FORM>
<FORM method=post name=quiztest action=quiz.asp?ques=4&quesid=299> </FORM>
<FORM method=post name=quiztest action=quiz.asp?ques=4&quesid=299>I've underlined the bit of Law the question quotes but then seems to disregard.<!--input type="submit" value="Submit" name="B1"--></FORM>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Re: Lrl Q299

What's this about, please. What does your comment FIXED refer to Robert? (Where's the Bold/Italic/under-line function on this new site?)

Surely the answer D. IS correct?

The way I read 19.1(h) is, should the 'ball touch the player' and goes forward direct into touch the LO is taken in-line. If back direct into touch, where it crossed the line.

However, if the 'player touches the ball' (suggesting hand contact) as the question is posed and goes back direct into touch the LO is where the ball crossed the TL (ie. answer D). . . if it went accidentally forward direct into touch it would, of course, be a scrum where he made contact.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Read DaveT's post. It's C.

Bold/Underline is on top on the quick reply box.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
So you consider it to be C aswell, Robert? Still don't get it.

As I stated 'the player touched the ball', and law 19.1h tells us that when the ball is touched by an opposition player and goes directly into touch, the throw-in is taken where the ball crossed the touch-line, if that is nearer the opposition player's goal-line . . . the opposition's goal-line being the Gold end.

Answer D reads: Award a line-out to Blue where the ball went into touch.

. . . . and I still don't see the text options on any of the replies. And why so many reply options?

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
or where the ball crossed the touch-line, if that is nearer the opposition player's goal-line.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Chopper

The correct answer is D.

The quiz was saying C was correct.

Robbie fixed this.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Sorry chopper that was caused by me getting my C & D mixed up!

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
LRL Q301 has the same error, seems to be the same question....