[Law] Folau’s online comments have taken a turn for the worse.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Still a Clown. And IMO not a Christian since Jesus' main teaching was tolerance and love of others. Religions that teach that they are the only way to *insert afterlife location of their choice* are seriously f**ked.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Still a Clown. And IMO not a Christian since Jesus' main teaching was tolerance and love of others. Religions that teach that they are the only way to *insert afterlife location of their choice* are seriously f**ked.

Perhaps IF sees himself as a Crusader

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
A Saracen, bent on jihad more like.
Any update on you campaign to get Sarries to change their name?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But why? If the club was called Jihadis then I would have the same view as a club called Crusaders

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

Every religion has this to some extent.
Christianity - Heaven
Islam - Paradise (Firdaws I think)
Judism - Shamayim
Hindu - Swarga Loka
Sikhism - Reincarnation to a higher Cast - Until Mukti is acheived
Buddism - Seems to have different stages of after life similar to Sikhism

These are all of the main religions and each of them have a reward for certain behaviour while other behaviours will be punished in the stated afterlife. The last 2 are the closest to not having an afterlife though there is still a goal to escape the life - death - rebirth cycle in Sikhism and an actual afterlife in Buddhism.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just idle curiosity.. but where does your screen name come from Arabcheif ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If he isn't from Dundee I for one shall be very disappointed

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Crossref and SimonSmith - I'm technically from Stirling (in Scotland). But I support Dundee UTD FC, if anyone needs to know, the DUFC fans are collectively known as the Arabs. There are many stories why this is so but it dates back to before I can remember, so it's been a fair amount of time. So its in homage to my compatriot DUFC fans.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Woosh...i had no idea about that, so over my head completely. If I had to guess I would have guessed a reference to some obscure rugby drinking song perhaps...

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Crossref and SimonSmith - I'm technically from Stirling (in Scotland). But I support Dundee UTD FC, if anyone needs to know, the DUFC fans are collectively known as the Arabs. There are many stories why this is so but it dates back to before I can remember, so it's been a fair amount of time. So its in homage to my compatriot DUFC fans.

Close enough!

L'irlandais

Post Likes
But why? If the club was called Jihadis then I would have the same view as a club called Crusaders
The word Saracen has negative connotations. If you have five minutes to read about it, basically it’s a
pejorative term for any Muslim
Source.
A bit like if the club was called The bog-trotters, the Micks, or the Paddies. Some sensitive Irish folk might take offense. Far worse than a club called the Crusaders, in my opinion. YMMV

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the DUFC fans are collectively known as the Arabs.

is that better/worse than Spurs fans being the [insert derogatory name for Jews] Army?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Or possibly 300k I read somewhere else !

I've heard that number too but Folau had $2M in his fighting fund so I can't see him walking away with chump change.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The word Saracen has negative connotations. If you have five minutes to read about it, basically it’s a

Source.
A bit like if the club was called The bog-trotters, the Micks, or the Paddies. Some sensitive Irish folk might take offense. Far worse than a club called the Crusaders, in my opinion. YMMV

Saracens isn't a name, you would choose nowadays it is true but it was chosen as a positive tribute to those people , a spirit of admiration . Its not at all like the unpleasant terms you mention.

Saracens are an ethnic group

Crusaders were a group of like minded people formed to engage in a purely religious war of aggression.again it's quite different.

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I've heard that number too but Folau had $2M in his fighting fund so I can't see him walking away with chump change.

So based on our anecdotal evidence, the settlement is somewhere between 2M and 14M. That is between 200,000 and 1.4 M, IF will have to tithe to his favorite church, presumably his father's.

That is between 200,000 and 1.4M that can further be spent on his you tube sermons.

Shouldn't his social justice opponents (or observers on rugby refs) be speaking out against this settlement and RA because of the finances now available for his hate speech?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes

Do you think he's going to repay any of the unspent $2m.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the whisper is the payout was $8M

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Hopefully now we can get rid of Castle and the lot and put the olive branch out to Twiggy Forrest.

Given the chances of the pay tv deal falling through rugby in Australia needs a Kerry Packer like white knight or its dead and buried. Even heard a sports journo on ABC radio this morning refer to rugby as "irrelevant to most Australians"

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Saracens isn't a name, you would choose nowadays it is true but it was chosen as a positive tribute to those people , a spirit of admiration . Its not at all like the unpleasant terms you mention.

Saracens are an ethnic group

Crusaders were a group of like minded people formed to engage in a purely religious war of aggression.again it's quite different.
You do this every time. It is quite clearly the reverse of your Crusaders medal. Both terms originally linked to the Crusades, when our Kiwis tell you Crusade has evolved as a word, you reject that. But when I say that Saracens was at that time even more pejorative, you cite a modern interpretation of the word.
From my linked article.
Europeans used the word "Saracen" as a pejorative term for any Muslim. However, there was also a racial belief current at the time that Saracens were black-skinned. Notwithstanding that, European Muslims from places like Albania, Macedonia, and Chechnya were considered Saracens. (Logic is not a requirement in any racial classification, after all.)

By the time of the Crusades, Europeans were set in their pattern of using the word Saracen to refer to any Muslim. It was considered a disparaging term by this period, as well, stripped of even the grudging admiration that the Romans had bestowed upon the Saracens. This terminology dehumanized the Muslims, which likely helped the European knights to slaughter men, women, and children without mercy during the early Crusades, as they sought to wrest control of the Holy Land away from the "infidels."

So no Saracens is not an admirative term for an ethnic group. Don’t insist on a name change for the New Zealanders club, if you will not write to the Londoners and tell them they must change the despicable name chosen for their club.