Football Player Steals RC

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIiaXWq1KHY

Apologies if this has been on here before, I realise it's from 2007.

I realise it's bad for referees in football, but surely it's better than this? The way the players crowd the referee and block him from the player getting the first RC is also terrible. Surely it wouldn't take much for players to give the referee space when asked as in rugby?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIiaXWq1KHY

Apologies if this has been on here before, I realise it's from 2007.

I realise it's bad for referees in football, but surely it's better than this? The way the players crowd the referee and block him from the player getting the first RC is also terrible. Surely it wouldn't take much for players to give the referee space when asked as in rugby?

Whenever I see football/soccer players jostling around a referee after they have been penalised, I wonder why you would want to be a referee in that sport. FIFA is made up of a bunch of pussies who have not got the balls to rid their sport of this behaviour

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Even before the incident where the card is snatched, the players are grabbing and pushing the referee. Several of those players would be banned for a year or more if this was rugby.

Football referees need to get a bit of self-respect in my opinion. They need to get together and commit to not putting up with this stuff as a collective group, and threaten to withdraw their services unless it is stamped out. I don't blame the players or the administrators anymore, I put the blame squarely on the referees who lack the intestinal fortitude to do something about it.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The most appalling referee baiting I remember was Man Utd and Andy D'Urso.

Stam, Butt, Giggs and Beckham all approached ADU en masse to remonstrate with him about something. Last in was Keane who pushed to the front of the queue by which time ADU was leaning backwards whilst RK yelled in his face like rabid dog.

View attachment 2577

The man was an absolute disgrace!!!

If ADU had had the "intestinal fortitude" to RC Keane, Stam, Butt, Giggs and Beckham - thus ending the game, I suspect he would never have refereed (in the Premiership) again.

I'll wager RK would not yell at Howard Webb like that - HW'd tear him a new @rsehole!!!

Football gets the behaviour it deserves I'm afraid. It is within football's gift to sort it and the films posted by PhilE show someone cares.

The lad in the film in the OP doesn't even look contrite or remorseful. Big soft tw@t!

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
T
If ADU had had the "intestinal fortitude" to RC Keane, Stam, Butt, Giggs and Beckham - thus ending the game, I suspect he would never have refereed (in the Premiership) again.

I'll wager RK would not yell at Howard Webb like that - HW'd tear him a new @rsehole!!!

Football gets the behaviour it deserves I'm afraid. It is within football's gift to sort it and the films posted by PhilE show someone cares.

The lad in the film in the OP doesn't even look contrite or remorseful. Big soft tw@t!
Not if before the season, all the EPL referees got together and agreed they weren't going to take it any more. One out, all out sort of thing. Trade unionism in a sense. Frankly I reckon if they grew some balls and stood up for themselves they would get overwhelming support from fans which would eventually result in the FA and FIFA or whoever adopting some basic standards.

Like: if you touch a referee, you are gone. If you invade the space of a referee you are gone. If you shout at a referee, or speak to him in an other than polite manner you are gone. And by gone, I mean for a month or more. It would only take one or two such punishments to be handed out before everyone would improve their behaviour.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Not if before the season, all the EPL referees got together and agreed they weren't going to take it any more. One out, all out sort of thing. Trade unionism in a sense. Frankly I reckon if they grew some balls and stood up for themselves they would get overwhelming support from fans which would eventually result in the FA and FIFA or whoever adopting some basic standards.

Like: if you touch a referee, you are gone. If you invade the space of a referee you are gone. If you shout at a referee, or speak to him in an other than polite manner you are gone. And by gone, I mean for a month or more. It would only take one or two such punishments to be handed out before everyone would improve their behaviour.

Praps!

I think the release of next year's Premier League fixtures and the fallout with Roy Hodgson shows who runs football in England and it's not the FA!!

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Praps!

I think the release of next year's Premier League fixtures and the fallout with Roy Hodgson shows who runs football in England and it's not the FA!!
I'm afraid that is completely over my head.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm afraid that is completely over my head.

The EPL have conjured up fixtures which in no way help England National team's preparation for World Cup Qualification according to Roy H the England manager.

ie The FA - the games ruling body in England, play second fiddle to the Premier League and their wants and needs.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

agreed, but this is up to "the authorities" to sort. if red cards started getting bandied about there would only be one group who wouldn't be at the top level any more, and it wouldn't be the players.

the sport is an absolute disgrace, and the sooner it implodes the better.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
In 1998 Paulo Di Canio pushed over referee Paul Alcock - was sent off and recieved an 11 game ban.

The incident with D'Urso and Keane was in 2000.

D'Urso was reported to have been afraid of being pushed over - hence the back peddling - but ended up only booking Keane and then allegedly never mentioned the incident in his after match report - perhaps there is a bit of a lack of intestinal fortitude in their somewhere.

Either way I agree with dave_clark it is "the authorities" to sort and not somethig the referees as a group could do unilaterally.

I'll bet footbal referees the world over stared longingly at the Wayne Barnes/Dylan Hartley incident and whispered quietly "if only"!

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The most appalling referee baiting I remember was Man Utd and Andy D'Urso.

Stam, Butt, Giggs and Beckham all approached ADU en masse to remonstrate with him about something. Last in was Keane who pushed to the front of the queue by which time ADU was leaning backwards whilst RK yelled in his face like rabid dog.

View attachment 2577

The man was an absolute disgrace!!!

If ADU had had the "intestinal fortitude" to RC Keane, Stam, Butt, Giggs and Beckham - thus ending the game, I suspect he would never have refereed (in the Premiership) again.!

Ferguson has been held up as the greatest manager in Football history, but in some respects [berating officials] he was the worst ! Did Sir Alex run Hairdryer training classes ?

I watched John Terry throw the ball at the ref when his teammate got sent off, & he was unpunished & england capt at the time.

Others are copying fergusons touchline intimidation tactics, Cockrill's premiership final display!

Professional Rugby has already seen drifting toward the behaviours of football, i just hope it is kept in check.

Last edited:

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
This is the one - this young lady aint letting the parents have it all their own ways! I bet we have all seen some excited parents living the game on the sidelines, I hope the guy was hauled up before some sort of discipline hearing by either the league or his son's team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3BSyYIJAmA

The best part of this was the water break she gave to the children (U10's) to move them away whilst she dealt with the situation.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Surely it wouldn't take much for players to give the referee space when asked as in rugby?

FIFA/EFA et al could stop this overnight. the fact that they choose not to underlines the fact that they accept such behaviour and leave their employees out to dry.

didds

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This is the one - this young lady aint letting the parents have it all their own ways! I bet we have all seen some excited parents living the game on the sidelines, I hope the guy was hauled up before some sort of discipline hearing by either the league or his son's team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3BSyYIJAmA

The best part of this was the water break she gave to the children (U10's) to move them away whilst she dealt with the situation.

well done to the referee - great control and management.

And what a total dip-stick he was.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
we won't see a wendyball player get carded for mouthing off, not in our lifetime, it's a sad case of the game becoming too big for the authorities, fact! The first ref that does it will get hung out to dry and it'll be claimed his management isn't up to it.

I have some respect for refs like Howard Webb, but even he allows players to swear at him.