Fouled immediately after scoring a try - penalty restart?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If the referee has yet to blow for no-side (ie we are waiting for the conversion to take place) then the game is not yet over and the referee is certainly still able to deal with it himself - ie issue a RC.

(agree he can't restart the game, though)

Agree, that makes sure he gets cited doesn't it.

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
Many thanks to Ian Cook for post 39, clearing up that particular conumdrum concerning the hooter - does not apply at my level but I am always willing to learn.

However, going back to the OP, in post 6 by Dixie, requoted by Crossref in post 7, law 5.7.(e) as quoted finishes in a sentence that stands alone ... 'If time expires and a mark, free kick or penalty is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue' ... - sorry, not very computer literate so cannot copy and quote correctly, trust this will suffice.

In the event of foul play in the act of scoring a try as time expires, does this aspect of the law not apply? Why should the match not be restarted with a penalty on the half-way line?

Just wondering.

NM

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Also running with the logic that suggests a penalty should still be given on halfway for an offence after the 80minute mark. If they decide to take a quick tap, and score off that, and at some time between the try and the conversion someone throws a punch. You give another penalty to the attacking team on the halfway line after the conversion. They take a quick tap again...

By this stage surely a riot is about to begin? It's just not rugby.

I'm chuckling at this scenario and the defending teams inability to learn from their earlier mistakes, I'd add that on the third occasion YC the offender under ' repeat law' , it'll crystalise their thinking even more so.......... :)
Although I'm struggling to take seriously anyone with the SW strapline ....lol

For the avoidance of doubt I'm persuaded by the game ending being the only lawful conclusion.

In essence the perpetrator of the foul play gets a ' result unaffected' foul opportunity , which provided it's below RC seriousness means he's avoided a consequence.

Still might spark that brawl...but heyho,

I might just treat all such cases as a RC , to deter such thinking ongoing.!! !!!

.Great thread, useful to know, now its embedded in my grey matter.

Jabba

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Great thread - but remember 'Nothing good ever happens to a referee in injury time'

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
law 5.7.(e) as quoted finishes in a sentence that stands alone ... 'If time expires and a mark, free kick or penalty is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue' ... -

In the event of foul play in the act of scoring a try as time expires, does this aspect of the law not apply? Why should the match not be restarted with a penalty on the half-way line?
And I think the consensus answer to that was that you have to ask how long he allows play to continue. That appears to be covered by 5.7(f):

[LAWS](f) If time expires after a try has been scored the referee allows time for the conversion kick to be taken.[/LAWS]

There is also the question of where and how to take the PK. Normally, it would be at halfway as that is where play would ordinarily restart. But in light of 5.7(f), we know that play would not ordinarily restart - so there is nowhere to dig your heel in to award the PK. I ahve changed my mind - I feel the game has to stop, despite the PK award.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Great thread - but remember 'Nothing good ever happens to a referee in injury time'

nice. A corollary to "nothing good ever happens after 2am"

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
England v Samoa (Commonwealth 7s, 27 July). Samoa score after half time hooter has sounded; Rodwell perhaps a little late, tackles the scorer. Ref gives Yellow Card and awards a penalty restart.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
England v Samoa (Commonwealth 7s, 27 July). Samoa score after half time hooter has sounded; Rodwell perhaps a little late, tackles the scorer. Ref gives Yellow Card and awards a penalty restart.
Foul play... typical England :/

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
And note: Penalty restart was before he blew for half time, not after half time...... Even though hooter had gone significantly before the foul play (questionable call, but justifiable)

Personally I'm of the view - PK offence after a try - always restart with the PK, even if time is up. No "get out of jail free" card just because time is up. So I agree with what the ref did in this game.