FRA v ENG U20: double red card

Blue Smartie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Well done to Frank Murphy. Takes a lot of bottle to make a double red but I don’t think anyone will say he didn’t make the right call. Well certainly hope so...

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Interestingly the French commentators thought the Irishman was asking for the replay to see which English infringement came first. Then all of a sudden he is an anglais, funny how selective the French can be. The difference between RFU and iRFU they are well aware of, but when the ref’s decision goes against them, we are suddenly all anglo-saxons.

A full match replay is also available, only I still cannot get the time stamp to work on my tablet.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
:norc::norc:

With a little extra effort they would have him through 360 and back on his feet. I wonder what then . . .

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the ref had no choice. Easiest reds to give possible.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Length of ban for this? Got to be top end orsumsbly, but what is that? Three months?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Before watching the footage, I didn't think I would be convinced that two players should be sent off for one tackle, as one player nearly always plays a much more major part in getting the tackled player into a dangerous position. Then, I watched the footage and applauded the referee.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Well done to Frank Murphy. Takes a lot of bottle to make a double red but I don’t think anyone will say he didn’t make the right call. Well certainly hope so...
I think the ref had no choice. Easiest reds to give possible.
Before watching the footage, I didn't think I would be convinced that two players should be sent off for one tackle, ... Then, I watched the footage and applauded the referee.
+1. It was as though it was co-ordinated. :wow:

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
taking the act of foul play ----- R/C all day every day & twice on a Sunday & by the letter of the Law

CORRECT

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
yep, two red cards seems entirely reasonable there.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have some sympathy for the 2 French players. If either had acted alone, the English player would likely have been lifted safely to the side. Certainly dangerous, but likely more reckless than deliberate.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nil dissenters on this thread?? Wtf is this site coming to...doesnt anyone have an opinion of their own anymore!
:wtf::holysheep::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::sarc::sarc::sarc::sarc::sarc::sarc:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have some sympathy for the 2 French players. If either had acted alone, the English player would likely have been lifted safely to the side. Certainly dangerous, but likely more reckless than deliberate.

Grabbing a player's legs and lifting them up is always going to run the risk of upending him. Grab him around the chest and rolling him to the side gets the job done with little or no risk. If you're not strong enough to do it that way, tough biscuit.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Nil dissenters on this thread?? Wtf is this site coming to...doesnt anyone have an opinion of their own anymore!
:wtf::holysheep::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::sarc::sarc::sarc::sarc::sarc::sarc:

Go onto Facebook, plenty of trolls on there saying it wasn’t even a penalty! Some calling for no ban as they are U20 and ‘learning’ the game.

i agree with an earlier poster, when I heard about a double red I initially doubted how that could be possible or fair, then I saw the footage (albeit in slow mo) no other choice really and well done to the referee for taking the right action.

Blue Smartie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
That was deemed to be a 10wk offence for both players. (Reduced to 5 for not contesting, no history etc)

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If he had been flipped thru 360 and landed back on his feet then I could see room for debate but . . .

The call for leniency due to their being "U20s and still learning the game" is laughable and could only apply in the US or other underdeveloped rugby country.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
5 weeks.

You get 4 weeks for punching somebody !

didds