FRA v SA - A French Perspective

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Plenty to talk about here, some of these are just plain wrong like supposed "offside" by Jessie Kriel when there was no ruck.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Plenty to talk about here...

What would you like to talk about?

Everyone has an opinion, which they are entitled to,, but I'm not entirely sure what your agenda is!

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Everyone has an opinion, which they are entitled to,, but I'm not entirely sure what your agenda is!

No agenda at all... I'm a bit amazed by the one-sidedness of the video tbh, some of its claims are clearly wrong and others marginal at best. Some seem to have more merit than others. But obviously there were calls that went against SA too, they just don't show them. Does look like some head contact was missed though which is strange. But overall it just seems like whinging after losing a tough game.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Sharing an interesting perspective of others doesn't necessarily suggest an agenda. I'd hate to think members became reluctant to post for fear of being accused of an agenda

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Sharing an interesting perspective of others doesn't necessarily suggest an agenda. I'd hate to think members became reluctant to post for fear of being accused of an agenda
I think it helps perpetuate the Rassie approach to post match, and I'm not a fan of that.

A balanced highlight reel - that's fine. A completely one eyed "the ref fucked us" - not so much.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think it helps perpetuate the Rassie approach to post match, and I'm not a fan of that.

A balanced highlight reel - that's fine. A completely one eyed "the ref fucked us" - not so much.
Its not free speech if its just your point of view that is allowed to be posted.
But if you feel strongly about, the right process would be to report it to the moderators and ask that it be deleted with perhaps a warning to the poster

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Its not free speech if its just your point of view that is allowed to be posted.
But if you feel strongly about, the right process would be to report it to the moderators and ask that it be deleted with perhaps a warning to the poster
I'm sure that Simon is referring to the video, not to the poster, who is merely giving us a link to French commentary on the match. I think that I've seen it elsewhere (so have not bothered to look at this one), and for the first 4 or 5 examples (if you can't get a valid message across in that time, then don't waste mine) it was a very one-eyed perspective. It has some use to show the fine margins to which we referee.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm sure that Simon is referring to the video, not to the poster, who is merely giving us a link to French commentary on the match. I think that I've seen it elsewhere (so have not bothered to look at this one), and for the first 4 or 5 examples (if you can't get a valid message across in that time, then don't waste mine) it was a very one-eyed perspective. It has some use to show the fine margins to which we referee.
Correct.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I haven't looked at the video, but I noticed a couple of things during the match that weren't penalised, like a SA player 10m in front of a penalty kick (that missed) waving his arms above his head, which should have resulted in a retake 10m further forward, and SA 4 lying completely on top of a maul to get to the ball at the back, being carried along as if he was crown surfing.

However...France not scoring in the last 21 minutes or so is probably what did for them.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
like a SA player 10m in front of a penalty kick (that missed) waving his arms above his head, which should have resulted in a retake 10m further forward...

Any chance you roughly recall when in the game that was? I'd be curious to re-watch that.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Any chance you roughly recall when in the game that was? I'd be curious to re-watch that.
France were playing left to right.
I believe in the first half, kick from the left side of the pitch looking towards the SA goal.
It might have been the first French Penalty kick?
Three SA player 10m in front of the kicker, as he approaches to kick the right hand of the three raises his arms above his head.
The kick then missed.
1697820499350.png

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
France were playing left to right.
I believe in the first half, kick from the left side of the pitch looking towards the SA goal.
It might have been the first French Penalty kick?
Three SA player 10m in front of the kicker, as he approaches to kick the right hand of the three raises his arms above his head.
The kick then missed.
It's an interesting one -- would we still give that? If it's literally as the diagram, it seems quite picky.
I guess two separate questions
- would we give that in our game tomorrow?
- should it be given in a RWC QF?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes and Yes

I do find it bizarre that some laws are blatantly ignored yet others are pedantically applied in the absence of any materiality.

🤷‍♂️Just another mystery of the game.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
It's an interesting one -- would we still give that? If it's literally as the diagram, it seems quite picky.
I guess two separate questions
- would we give that in our game tomorrow?
- should it be given in a RWC QF?
I would give it in both cases. What what if you don’t give it and next kick he raises both arms? What if the following kick he jumps? What if the following kick he shouts? When do you give it? And when you do give it, the player rightly concludes, “oh, I can _______ as much as I want and the ref won’t call me on it as long as I don’t _________”.
If the kicker had made the kick, we have the luxury of getting to have a quick word to manage it. The player has decided to roll the dice and I’m very comfortable to apply the law as written if the kick is unsuccessful.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I would give it in both cases. What what if you don’t give it and next kick he raises both arms? What if the following kick he jumps? What if the following kick he shouts? When do you give it? And when you do give it, the player rightly concludes, “oh, I can _______ as much as I want and the ref won’t call me on it as long as I don’t _________”.
If the kicker had made the kick, we have the luxury of getting to have a quick word to manage it. The player has decided to roll the dice and I’m very comfortable to apply the law as written if the kick is unsuccessful.
And this is so often the case, you play it how you want and I'll apply the laws!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
fair enough
would you try to manage it out (get him to put his hands down quickly now) or just clock him with his hands up and then, if they miss, do the whole 10m thing? (just applying those laws, mate)

Last edited:

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
fair enough
would you try to manage it out (get him to put his hands down quickly now) or just clock him with his hands up and then, if they miss, do the whole 10m thing? (just applying those laws, mate)
Yep, then have a word afterwards with the captain. They only do it once. (For the 10m forward, it’s only practical if in front of the posts but kickers know they can kick from anywhere in line behind the mark.)

At my level it’s always a combination of inexperience and exuberance.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yep, then have a word afterwards with the captain. They only do it once. (For the 10m forward, it’s only practical if in front of the posts but kickers know they can kick from anywhere in line behind the mark.)

At my level it’s always a combination of inexperience and exuberance.
i didn't quite understand that?

scenario -
So the kicker is standing there, addressing the ball, doing his little shuffle, using up his 60 seconds

and you notice that one of the defenders has his arms up.

Do you gesture - or call to him - to put his arms down ?

Or just do nothing, and - if the kick fails - do the whole 10m / second chance thing