Freddie Burns deals with a pitch invader

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I can;t find a video to link to unfortunately (facebook or vimeo registrations needed for the ones I have found), but following a Exeter try against Glaws, somebody invaded the picth and ran towards the pile of players on the ground where the try had been scored.

BHurns grabbed him and slammed into the ground onto his back. The issue ios then dealt with very quickly by the stewards and the guy was probably quite happy to be led away from burns... but...

thoughts on this physical handling by an invader by a player?

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Spot on.
Shouldn't have been there.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If somebody had got to Piet van Zyl in time, David McHugh would not have had a dislocated shoulder.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
While it might be fun to see idiots get what's coming to them...

Burns grabbed him and slammed into the ground onto his upper body/neck

I do wonder what the situation would be if events had gone like this instead. I'm pretty sure that the only winners would be the lawyers...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/x1kutur_freddie-burns-plaque-un-steaker-dans-l-en-but_sport

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
for me Burns was totally out of order.. that guy didn't pose any immediate safety risk to the players and Burns' actions were completely OTT.
lucky not to face a charge of assault.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
for me Burns was totally out of order.. that guy didn't pose any immediate safety risk to the players and Burns' actions were completely OTT.
lucky not to face a charge of assault.

Reasonable force as far as i can see :clap:, remember he's only a girly back and a #10 at that! He was a risk to the players as he shouldn't have been on the pitch :shrug:

We now can see he was just a bloke that had a cider or 2 too many, but how did the players not know he was going to attack a player, were they meant to let him grab a player/the ref (i.e. SA v NZ), by which time it would have been too late?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Reasonable force as far as i can see :clap:, remember he's only a girly back and a #10 at that! He was a risk to the players as he shouldn't have been on the pitch :shrug:

We now can see he was just a bloke that had a cider or 2 too many, but how did the players not know he was going to attack a player, were they meant to let him grab a player/the ref (i.e. SA v NZ), by which time it would have been too late?

well, that's what we have juries for isn't it? they would watch the video and make a judgement call

but to me it didn't look like the defensive actions of a man who felt his safety threatened by an intruder.
it looked more like a strong young man gratuitously taking the opportunity to dump a drunken older one on his arse :-(

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well..

1) are we happy with the jury making that decision with a player/ref in hospital?
2) he didn't look that old ...

didds

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Agreed. No way of knowing what he would have done if he had been allowed to, don't take the risk and ask the question later. Shouldn't have been there in the first place.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
guessing he won't be invading a pitch again will he?

Freddie is 5'10" in his socks and got lucky with that "hit" and if you look at the guy i'd say they were about the same age?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The pitch invader is in the wrong no matter what he does. I applaud any sportsman/coach who deals with these w@nkers summarily. Waiting for the courts and juries to deal with it is too late. Short sharp shock is the go here. The more likely they think they'll get dealt to if they try it on, the less likely they'll try it on in the first place.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
again, invader shouldn't have been there, simples!