Freddie Burns deals with a pitch invader

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yeah he was a little twat working his ticket, and because a copper pushed him, he dies, well if he wasnt being an arse and deliberately pissing about the copper wouldnt have to move him on.

Ridiculous that the bobby got into bother, typical UK do gooders and try and blame the system, make someone in authority a scape goat, why because it sells papers!!! and the journalist scum run the government.

Only one side of the argument of course :)

A remarkably restrained description of the version you give above.

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Well as a SPECTATOR... probably a bit harsh.

As a PLAYER... Who the f*** are you and f*** off out of it... Still coming... 'Ave it

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't like the look of it at all. At the end of the day these are professional athletes in a contact sport; they are young, fit, and strong. FB could have easily restrained him if he was that bothered about pitch invaders. If FB genuinely thought he was going to cause harm then fair enough, but I don't think this was the case at all.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't like the look of it at all. At the end of the day these are professional athletes in a contact sport; they are young, fit, and strong. FB could have easily restrained him if he was that bothered about pitch invaders. If FB genuinely thought he was going to cause harm then fair enough, but I don't think this was the case at all.

Mat, I think the world changed regarding pitch invaders after Monica Seles was stabbed by a crazed fan. Then we had Pieter van Zyl who attacked a referee, and that idiot who attacked George Gregan. There are a lot of nut-jobs floating around out there, and I'm afraid to say that Rugby Union has its share.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Looked ok to me, didn't go beyond the horizontal but perhaps he was a bit careless in how he brought him down after the initial contact.

Seriously though if someone unidentifed came into my place of work and started running at a colleague they would probably get similar treatment.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seriously though if someone unidentifed came into my place of work and started running at a colleague they would probably get similar treatment.

at my place of work an employee treating an intruder like that would cause all sorts of problems! It's hard to imagine exactly what would happen, but I would certainly be surpirsed if the police weren't called.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
FB could have easily restrained him if he was that bothered about pitch invaders. If FB genuinely thought he was going to cause harm then fair enough, but I don't think this was the case at all.

That's my take on it.

Thankfully the world hasnt changed that much, players mingle with supporters at hotels etc, without bodyguards. My son got himself a photo with an unaccompanied Launchbury after Irelands match.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

Dan, totally agree.

at my place of work an employee treating an intruder like that would cause all sorts of problems! It's hard to imagine exactly what would happen, but I would certainly be surpirsed if the police weren't called.

Crossref, if an intruder at my work got treated like that it would probably be the best outcome for them as more lethal force could always be applied for intruder/people not supposed to be their.

What would you do if you found an intruder in your house, going through your things, having a sneak around and he came at you? Do a FB and put him down to the ground or..............

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's all about context, and proportion, isn't it?.
We can all invent hypothetical scenarios where this or that reaction is good

But the question is.. Was FB action proportionate to the actual situation he was in? That s the question

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Well let me recount to you what one of my staff did a couple of years back.

He was outside my shop doing some signwriting on the windows (I was just inside the door supervising) when we heard a ruckus. We turned around to see a young person sprinting down the footpath with a uniformed cop giving chase (the Richmond Police Station is about 50m up the road from my shop). As the young person passed the shop, my staffer stuck an arm out, caught him under the chin and put him flat on his back. (Definite RC for the stiff arm tackle). That stopped the runner long enough for the cop to grab him, and as he put the handcuffs on, one of my other staffers yelled out "Book 'im Danno!" . Several onlookers started laughing, and as the cop frogmarched the person away, he turned and with a smile on his face, said thanks for the help.

So what happened to my staff member after that. He got a letter of commendation from the Regional Commander of Nelson Police for his "assistance in apprehending a suspect"

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Dan, totally agree.

Crossref, if an intruder at my work got treated like that it would probably be the best outcome for them as more lethal force could always be applied for intruder/people not supposed to be their.

What would you do if you found an intruder in your house, going through your things, having a sneak around and he came at you? Do a FB and put him down to the ground or..... [\QUOTE]

If I had x14 muscle bound mates, and another x15 sympatheticly minded opponents alongside me, then I'd probably laugh at him or fend him off.

Its interesting that most handbags disputes end up with opponents being pushed away at chest level, not thrown to the floor....FB was posing, probably with some spare testosterone floating around from their failed goal-line line protection effort.... fairly obvious in my mind.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Well let me recount to you what one of my staff did a couple of years back.

He was outside my shop doing some signwriting on the windows (I was just inside the door supervising) when we heard a ruckus. We turned around to see a young person sprinting down the footpath with a uniformed cop giving chase (the Richmond Police Station is about 50m up the road from my shop). As the young person passed the shop, my staffer stuck an arm out, caught him under the chin and put him flat on his back. (Definite RC for the stiff arm tackle). That stopped the runner long enough for the cop to grab him, and as he put the handcuffs on, one of my other staffers yelled out "Book 'im Danno!" . Several onlookers started laughing, and as the cop frogmarched the person away, he turned and with a smile on his face, said thanks for the help.

So what happened to my staff member after that. He got a letter of commendation from the Regional Commander of Nelson Police for his "assistance in apprehending a suspect"

Sounds like he shudda got a RL trial !! :)