From ARU online referee course

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Their opinion is this scenario therefore REWARDS time wasting as blue can ignore the call to use it as long as possible , and then get put in to the time consuming scrum.. so it's a time wasters charter :)

Last week I asked the sareferee duty ref about this , so perhaps we will get a third view

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I appreciate what you are saying and it is a balance between time-wasting and rewarding a side for good play. The 5 seconds is not much compared to the time-wasting that was done before it was introduced, if that was the intention of the side in possession at the start of the maul.
The scrum causes all sorts of problems and nobody an deny that it can be time-wasting, boring etc etc, but as the laws stand (and the game as a whole) it is the method that rugby union uses for rewarding a side for the opposition making mistakes or minor law infractions. The alternative is a rugby league solution.
In the scenario at hand the awarding of the scrum is not the problem, it is the scrum itself and it is this that needs a solution and not the penalisation of good defensive play.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't feel strongly about this one .. it's a scenario that none of us are ever likely to see. If it happens to me , in England, I will follow the RFU

And then I will be that ref who makes a decision contrary to what all 30 players are expecting, because I read some technical discussion on RR.COM

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I don't feel strongly about this one .. it's a scenario that none of us are ever likely to see. If it happens to me , in England, I will follow the RFU

And then I will be that ref who makes a decision contrary to what all 30 players are expecting, because I read some technical discussion on RR.COM

I have to agree with you about doing what is expected by your Union. It is not really our problem and why I have replied several times in various threads that is you don't like something then take it up with your union or WR. It is the reason why I take my position on several points of law. I am after all in my case an employee of the RFU.
I cannot remember ever seeing a scrum awarded after a failure to use it at a maul. I have seen one at a ruck and one at a scrum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
And this scenario, don't forget, is a combination of two events, both very rare on their own: a change of possession at a maul AND a failure to use it.
The chance of both happening is small

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Much sense spoken in the last two posts.

That doesn;t make the debate around this wrong of course. :)

didds