Gareth thomas comes out gay

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
TBH I thought he'd "come out" years ago. It was obviously one of the worst kept "secrets" in the country.

Will it affect what people think of him? I really doubt it.

It hasn't done Nigel Owen any harm, which just goes to show that if you're good at what you do and have a pleasant personality, it just isn't an issue.

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
it wasn't particularly well known our side of the bridge...

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
TBH I thought he'd "come out" years ago. It was obviously one of the worst kept "secrets" in the country.

Will it affect what people think of him? I really doubt it.

It hasn't done Nigel Owen any harm, which just goes to show that if you're good at what you do and have a pleasant personality, it just isn't an issue.

. . . . and when you get not so good?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
when you're not so good you're unlikely to be in the public eye and therefore don't face a trial by media.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
. . . . and when you get not so good?
I still don't reckon it will be an issue for the vast majority; this is 2009 after all, not 1909. I'm sure there would be the odd homophobic comment, but you'd get that in any walk of life, and most people will wonder what the fuss was about. If Nigel Owen retired tomorrow, do you honestly believe he would be any less popular than he is now? No.

I rest my case your honour. :D

There's a very good audio interview with Nigel Owen about a third of the way down THIS BBC page. Just about sums it up in my book. :clap:

Last edited:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
I've often wondered if there's as many gays in the world as left-handed people. :chin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
would you care to expand Chopper ?

gays, left handers, gingas, diabetics, cornishmen - all minorities, so what ?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
honestly - it always comes back to us gingers :mad:

:biggrin: :p :wink:

hopefully, this will allow other gay sportsmen to feel comfortable in "coming out" (if they so choose of course). something my mrs said yesterday - apparently there's only been one openly gay professional wendyball player in this country. ever.

having said that, there's probably a lot of things in their private lives that they don't particularly want to talk about (not through fear, but because it's none of our business). maybe sexual preference is one such thing :chin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think it's commendable to come out as gay.

Some things though are just too embarrassing to admit.

You notice he never admitted to being Welsh :wow: :biggrin:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Very nice to see solidarity from his team, all of whom looked pretty in pink.

I really don't see why anyone being gay, straight, left-handed or anything else is really worth worrying about - Archie is a bloody good player.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
One of the worst kept secrets in rugby, GT being gay.

Fair play to him for coming out. Also, Lyndon Bray (head of NZRU referees' dept) is openly gay.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I always wondered about those teeth!:wow: :wow:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
would you care to expand Chopper ?

gays, left handers, gingas, diabetics, cornishmen - all minorities, so what ?

That's my point, Simon. I always thought gays and LH people were minorities. :hap: Have you noticed how many people on TV are LH now?

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
It hasn't improved my chances of being on TV. fwiw the creative arts/media are dominated by cack handed people in proportions that far outweigh their % presence in the general population. Right brain dominance perhaps?

Based on TV's dramatic portrayals of society, all the folk in Chester are gorgeous, few of the people in rural yorkshire are ugly or from yorkshire, very few of London's police are grossly overweight or lesbians or both, everyone in the east end speaks with a north London accent, and all pubs are booming and at the hub of the local community.

TV and the media in the UK are not real life, never were (received pronunciation, etc.,) and never will be.

Davet

Post Likes
I note Nigel Owens was in pink too, is this a symbol of solidarity from Welsh to Welsh?

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Thought last night's Tiger's game was superb and so was the ref. :clap:

Did anyone notice if Nigel was LH? Be interesting to see how many of the 13 refs selected for the 6 Nations are.

Davet

Post Likes
Apart from awarding a PK to CA 3 mins from time when the penalty should have gone to Tigers for white 5 taking the man in the air, causing the knock on that landed in Moody's arms.

Critical incident, as it allowed a 3 point score to CA rather than Tigers clearing their lines...

It may reflect a faulty application of Materiality by the ref...

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
The "coming out" was a surprise to me because, as has been said, it was already out there, if Alfie was being brave he would had outed himself publicly some years ago. Is there a difference between it being public knowledge and in the press perhaps?

... and who is Archie ... are you outing someone else Davet?