Getting a game in a different area

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
My parents have just moved to West Dorset, and rather than totally abandon them over the winter as I did when I was playing, I thought it would be fun to see if I could get some games near them so I could spend some time with them whilst still reffing.

What's the best way of going about this? Since it wouldn't be a formal exchange is the best way still to go through my society, or should I just give Dorset & Wilts Society a bell when I know I'm going to be in the area?

In this litigious age, is there some sort of formal thing that needs to be done before I can do this?

Thanks,

Chris

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think both. If you follow me. Let Dorset & Wilts know you're around and would like some games whilst your there (I'm sure they'll have some spare games and will be happy to have you), but you must run it past your society's appointments secretary or chairman. Simon Thomas usually has the definitive answers on this.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I know both Sussex and D&W well, as we are the county between them !

I suggest you tell Sussex appointments guys about your intention - in any case they will need to confirm your grade to D&W for correct appointments. Ideally they might wish it be an exchange arrangement set well in advance as not all counties have enough refs for all their weekend matches.

We have a few referees with dual membership and as long as we know when they are available in advance for monthly appointments, we can appoint them, or re-appoint if they and a game are free at short notice.

All Societies encourage their refs to be active - so I can only see positive reactions to your request. What will annoy Sussex, is if you are appointed in advance to a magtch in say Hove and then announce that week youa re off to Dorset to see your parents and are doing a match at Dorchester instead.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If refs have dual membership, how do you decide promotion up the grades? Does one society have priority?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Why is it a problem OB ?

As long as both Societies are English it shouldn't be a problem.

Grading criteria are based on assessors reports, and coaching reports which are part of a RFU national standard process.

Also members of both grading committees, or the referee's mentor / coach, will pick up a phone and discuss having exchanged assessor reports etc.

In specific cases one or other Society may have the lead, or even total grading responsibility if the referee does 90% of matches there, or is on a development squad.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Herts c1 = London b3 ... so i am told .... (/stir)

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
ex-lucy said:
Herts c1 = London b3 ... so i am told .... (/stir)

Or as one club player said to me, " We don't care what the grade is, if they come from ****** they are ****!! ... and we don't want them."

His team had just lost heavily so he may have been biased but.... :D

madref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Lucy

You should be on Levels now not old C , B grades.

David

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
that decision (to change grade styles) is up to the discretion of the Society and we have decided to remain in the dark ages ...
we have had 1 or 2 refs who move to London obtain B3 and then move back only to be 'demoted' to C1.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Pablo's Herts now and has a Level ;)

As is another Herts Member. :D

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We have been around this one before !

There were some good reasons to retain the old letter grade system, but hopefully one day Herts will catch up, especially as all Federation and Group Referees are graded as level not letters. Not many other Societies have stayed with letter grades - btw ex-Lucy has anyone been into the Herts Grading Comittee room recently - are they all still alive in there ?

It all works for us and when referees transfer we find grades are the same, and for our three joint membership refs both Soceities (different ones in each case) are the same in their grade recommendations.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We have had one or two problems (no names, no pack drill), which is why I asked.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
MUST do it officially, to do with insurance. You wouldn't drive a car without insurance, would you?:confused:

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seem to recall a time when it was not unkown for a member of the armed forces to be graded at one level by the army society and another by the county. Days when one would see a soldier in Aldershot occasionally..

Could never happen now...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Not these days Mike (or for last 2 seasons). All HRURS gradings match NAvy / Army / RAF gradings as we co-ordinate (it does help having Navy Sec, CS RRDO, etc as HRURS members of course !). Also discus graded with two other Soceities for 3 joint members before decisions are made.