Girls in the boys locker room!

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Posting this as I wait in the freezing cold for my shower...

How freaked would you blokes be if the famale ref/TJ jumped into the gang shower room when you were there - provided you were in shorts or undies and she was wearing a one-piece swimsuit and rugby shorts? (my togs are basic navy racers.)

Any input from current/ former players is welcome - Im cold and want my shower!

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
At least you have showers, here I have to drive home sometimes 2.5-3 hours, as a player it would be fairly odd though to have a female shower with the team, but then again we never had showers so can't really provide an objective opinion.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bit odd as most rugby players I know shower naked so as long as you don't mind showering with a bunch of naked dudes go nuts.

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Here the boys shower in shorts... In Wellington I assumed it was the Mormon influence (a lot of Maori and PI players are Mormon) but they do in dunners too... Maybe it's like a US friend of mine said and players here are more homophobic and cant face the thought of showering naked

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd be OK with it.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Here the boys shower in shorts... In Wellington I assumed it was the Mormon influence (a lot of Maori and PI players are Mormon) but they do in dunners too... Maybe it's like a US friend of mine said and players here are more homophobic and cant face the thought of showering naked

If you've considered this enough to think said players showering in shorts is a modesty thing due to religious reasons do you not think this same modesty would prevent a half naked female joining them in the showers?

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Haha, half naked? Even alone in those showers I wear a one piece racing swimsuit and shorts. Its more modest than I would go to the beach or swimming pool in.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Haha, half naked? Even alone in those showers I wear a one piece racing swimsuit and shorts. Its more modest than I would go to the beach or swimming pool in.

Is it modest for sharing a shower with mormons??

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
For adult players, I think you would find a complete range of reactions. Some clubs / players wouldn't bat an eye, others would find it an amazing thing to happen. Most clubs have open space showers for players, with no 'modesty curtains' and players shower naked.

As a young female referee in a Society here, you would be very carefully chaperoned and separate changing / showering facilities provided for you. I recall one Hampshire L8 cub brought in a caravan for a visiting London exhange female referee to use for changing / shower.

I do know a Hampshire referee who accidentally walked into the Alton Ladies showers when he did a Premiership match there in the late 1990s - he was 'kidnapped' in there and photos were taken - nude showering was standard for the girls.

Back to the serious side of this issue.

For younger players things are different in NZ (and USA) to England. We have quite strict national and RFU Child Protection / Safeguarding policies and legislation, so your situation would not arise, or if it did then complaints could be made if you joined the players in a shower. In England, club and school players U18 and younger usually shower in underpants, boxers, cycle shorts etc.

There are still a few clubs / schools with no or poor changing facilities, some have no separate refs room and fewer have separate officials showers. But it is better than a decade ago and most new facilities built tend to have a separate refs room with en-suite shower / toilet.

In England a match official of 16 yrs or older must have a CRB (Crimminal Records Bureau) clearance certificate to be able to officiate. If 18 yrs or older then there is no way that they can share changing, or certainly showering facilities, with any players under 18 years old.

If you did as an 18 yr old referee shower with same or different sex Under 18s and it was reported and went through to the Club or CB Safeguarding Officer, you could be suspended immediately by the RFU through the CB - the Society would have no say in the matter, or any other Child Safeguarding allegations, where you are guilty until proved innocent. If your job involved CRB clearance (e.g. teacher) it is likely you would be suspended from work too. That would all apply until your case was brought and heard (could be months later). The official approach is somewhat draconian in some areas, so often such "indiscretions" are dealt with unofficially and kept away from the Safeguarding Officers.

Last edited:

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I wouldn't even think of it at a school or anywhere the players would likely be under 18, but most schools have no refs room, so I show up not expecting a shower or even anywhere to change or use the loo.

With colts they are between 18 and 21, and all players areover the age where one needs a police reference - which I have anyway, as I earn summer money as a nanny.

Id like to be able to shower after the games without waiting half an hour, but i'd not go in wearing less than I would to public pools, and not if the players were wearing less than they would to a public pool (I had to ask the coach if they were done, easy enough to ask the coach if they're decent and to tell them the ref is coming in)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
TBH I'm surprised the teams don't let you go in for a quick shower first, while they do their warm down / celebration / and team talk after the game.

That's certainly what happens here at U19 games - I don't know about senior games. If you just said to the coach "I've got a bus to catch, can you give me a couple of minutes first?" would they really object?

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
all players areover the age where one needs a police reference - which I have anyway, as I earn summer money as a nanny.

the stupid system in UK (government rules) means that you have to have a separate clearance for each organisation - CRB clearance is not transferrable. It was when it all first started 5 or 6 years ago but then changed.

I know one of our members has

1. Teachers CRB
2. RFU CRB
3. ECB CRB (cricket)
4. Scout Association CRB

Suppose it is a good revenue earner for government and a job creation scheme as well !

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
TBH I'm surprised the teams don't let you go in for a quick shower first, while they do their warm down / celebration / and team talk after the game.

That's certainly what happens here at U19 games - I don't know about senior games. If you just said to the coach "I've got a bus to catch, can you give me a couple of minutes" would they object?

This is what happens in reverse when I have refereed the Darlington Mowden Park Sharks (women's premiership club). I went in straight after the game while they stayed outside and warmed down. After about 10 mins they all came in, but by that time I was back in my changing room.

After being stood out in the cold at Stockton for 30 mins waiting for some U15s at a county day to finish changing and showering if there is only one shower area I would ask to go first. The problem was the referee's changing room is directly off the shower room!

The time they would be waiting while one referee showers is so small to the time you would have to wait for 36+ players and associated others.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
1. Teachers CRB
2. RFU CRB
3. ECB CRB (cricket)
4. Scout Association CRB

I have:

1. Medical School CRB
2. Lifeguarding CRB
3. Brass Band CRB
4. RFU CRB
5. FA CRB
6. Volunteering CRB

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have:

1. Medical School CRB
2. Lifeguarding CRB
3. Brass Band CRB
4. RFU CRB
5. FA CRB
6. Volunteering CRB

Over here there is just a police check and then you get a card saying you can work with children etc although I think you need to get it updated every 2-3 years.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Yep, Blue card in Queensland and once you have one you can use it for all, you lose it, you lose all.

In England if you had an incident which required the removal of one CRB, are the other removed too?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I have:

1. Medical School CRB
2. Lifeguarding CRB
3. Brass Band CRB
4. RFU CRB
5. FA CRB
6. Volunteering CRB

it's not a competition you know...

:wink:

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's not a competition you know...

:wink:

They're not even trying.

Supply teachers need a CRB for each and every* supply agency they are registered with. That can be up to 10 or so.

And many agencies make them pay for them. £36 an agency on the off chance there might be some work.

*In theory some agency CRB checks are "portable", but the reality is different.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In England if you had an incident which required the removal of one CRB, are the other removed too?

Yes - with immediate effect.

And renewed every three years - but easier now with e-CRBs.

The police have their own checks, and do different checks with CRB records.

Good old red tape Britain !