Giving priority to Youth and Women's matches

smudgie49

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
There's been a rumour (for some months) in my region that the RFU and RFRU are asking societies to prioritise allocating officials to Youth and/or Womens matches rather than to senior Men's games. This might mean sending a ref to an U14s friendly on a Sunday rather than a L9 Mens league game on a Saturday (assuming finite numbers of refs). I've not been able to find anything in writing about this. Has anyone else heard the same or similar?

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Heard nothing like this in Bucks.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Heard nowt down here in D&W.

While the idea has on the face of it much merit, it can only mean more prep for refs as they bone up what variatoion exists this week at UX or UY gradesm or RFU women's levels etc...

I just cant see it happening.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not heard this in Durham, and the reality is it's availability of refs that define Sunday vs Saturday games here, not many are available both days, certainly not enough available on Sundays, especially cup weekends

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not heard this in Durham, and the reality is it's availability of refs that define Sunday vs Saturday games here, not many are available both days, certainly not enough available on Sundays, especially cup weekends

presumablu IF this prefeence was to be implemented that just means sunday apppointments woud be made before Sunday ones. Its just a case of flipping the days.

Or if refs for other reasons are not available Sundays, then senior mnen would be scheduled on a sunday and youth and women on a saturday etc.

as I say though - i cant see it happening.

didds

smudgie49

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Thanks everyone - I suspected as much!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
presumablu IF this prefeence was to be implemented that just means sunday apppointments woud be made before Sunday ones.

didds

doh! I meant

presumably IF this preference was to be implemented that just means Sunday appointments would be made before Saturday ones.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
This makes no sense to me (assuming it's true.

It isn't about prioritizing. If the games stay on Sundays, and referees don't want to do Sundays, what do you do then?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I suspect this is one of those tales that has grown in the telling .
Are societies part of the drive to give women's sports the status and respect they deserve ? Yes

Are they prioritising friendlies over league games ,on the basis of gender ? of course not