Glaws v Bath

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hamilton?

One of my favorite players. Proper old fashioned raw boned forward. If all the Scottish players were like him...

Jim Hamilton, Scottish?
Having played for England u21s he suddenly developed tgat illness called scottishmyarseness, born in Swindon, educated & developed in England !

Parents apparently drunk a pint of McEwan's once !
A plastic jock, if ever there were one?

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Can anyone throw light on this,

are players named as position specific replacements, or merely named as front row replacements which presumably covers all front row positions? .....ie... can a THP insist he's not STE as a LHP ?

It may depend on this

[LAWS]LAW 3.14 UNION SPECIFIC VARIATIONS
(c) When 22 or 23 players are nominated in a team there must be sufficient front row players
to play at hooker, tight-head prop and loose-head prop who are suitably trained and
experienced to ensure that on the first occasion that a replacement in any front row position
is required, the team can continue to play safely with contested scrums.[/LAWS]

This would seem to indicate that you need THP, LHP and Hooker. However, this is the only part of Law 3 that mentions STEs, that specifically names the replacement positions. The other Law that refers to STE in 3.5, which just refers to "players who can play in the front row" .

If the Premiership is allowing an eight strong bench, then the RFU must be using Law 3.14

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Oh, & it was also suggested that glouc were being 'cute' by claiming uncontested scrums despite having a Front row replacement on the bench

Flagman said, the replacement hadn't played in that position for two years, so it wouldn't be safe !

Really? If he was STE two years ago, why isn'the STE now we don't have the HIT anymore?

Uncontested at this level isn't a good look. What with that and the mass brawl it looked like a RL match ! :) :) :)

Number of punches thrown in the NRL this season? Zero.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Going back to Browner's excellent question, especially applied to rugby in the weeds. I played LH, but if I was on the bench and brought on at hooker, I'd be well out of my depth, so what does STE mean?
When I was at Salisbury I came on against Rosslyn Park (2nds!!) at TH... it was a steep learning curve. As Steve Ralph Bownam, the coach, kindly said "You had your prop really worried today" "Really? " I asked, perking up slightly. ""Yep, he thought he'd killed you"

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Going back to Browner's excellent question, especially applied to rugby in the weeds. I played LH, but if I was on the bench and brought on at hooker, I'd be well out of my depth, so what does STE mean?
When I was at Salisbury I came on against Rosslyn Park (2nds!!) at TH... it was a steep learning curve. As Steve Ralph Bownam, the coach, kindly said "You had your prop really worried today" "Really? " I asked, perking up slightly. ""Yep, he thought he'd killed you"

Scrummaging in the elite game is a lot more difficult that down in the weeds. For starters, the size and strength of the forwards is much greater.

There are props who are capable of playing both sides
There are props who are strictly one-sided*
There are hookers who can play LHP
There are hookers who can play THP
There are front rowers who can play in any position

- Angus Ta'avo & Ben Franks can play both sides, Owen Franks & Carl Hayman are THP only, Tony Woodcock is LHP only. Neemia Tialata started off as a LHP only, but now has concentrated in the Tighthead side. John Smit is a test Hooker who has played THP at test level for the Springboks; John Afoa is a test LHP who has played at Hooker for the All Blacks, and also played both positions for Ulster.

*I was a LHP, I played THP for half a game and it bloody near killed me. Anyone who has not tried to play both sides cannot understand how different they are; different skills, different techniques. If you play golf right handed, try playing left handed and see how difficult it is. Some people can because they possess varying degrees of ambidextrousness. Most cannot.

Last edited:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes

Unfortunately I have to point out that Brian's mistaking legislation for action when he mentions American football: they have a whole load of rules about unsportsmanlike conduct, to the point where every year it gets harder and harder to celebrate a touchdown without drawing a pointless flag for something or other, and there's a general anti-taunting provision plus a laundry list of specificially prohibited acts; and yet you still get wired-for-sound footage like this, from about 1:30 - http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...-Sherman/e800d3e3-e14e-410c-8fd1-3b206b14ec51

And then bear in mind that he's probably toning his trash talk down a bit in that game because he knows he's wired for sound; and the NFL will have edited it to make him seem like a lovable scamp rather than a yapping moron. It's still very much part of their football culture.

edit: ESPN even wrote an article all about the fine art of trash talk. Turns out the dedicated exponents gameplan for it just as much as anything else they're going to do on the field...

Last edited:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Seriously did someone throw a bottle?
I'm very suprised everyone around the offender never lynched it. Then hand him/her over to the stewards.
Someone did it at the Olympics only to have a British judo girl tie him in a bow and hand him to the police.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Mostly spot on, although.....

"These players are well-paid professionals and it is right to expect more of them; if they want to play like amateurs they can go and do so."

it would have been nice if the professionals had acted more like the amateurs in my match last weekend , their was hardly any goading, no brawls, everyone fully committed, and the players must've been responding to my preventions because we only had x3 PKs in the 20mins of a cup semifinal local derby!

Gloucester used to be the biggest city in the country without a 'wendyball' league club, the alledged bottle throwing incident - coincidence?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Seriously did someone throw a bottle? ... Someone did it at the Olympics only to have a British judo girl tie him in a bow and hand him to the police.
That was a plastic bottle. Still enough to get an arse booting, but not as serious as chucking a glass bottle IMO.

Mostly spot on, although..... "These players are well-paid professionals and it is right to expect more of them; if they want to play like amateurs they can go and do so."
I think BCM was referring to the amateurs pay packet (there isn't one) rather than the amateur attitude. :biggrin:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I found this on facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FmevrE-sVgQ

And another thing... just heard on Radio 5 that Gloucester claim the bottle wielding supporter was a school kid, not sure what the imlication of that is.

Yep, that's the gloucester supporter group that most of us loathe.
I have a lifelong glos friend who is a million miles away from that 'wendyballesk' moron. I can only wonder if the club have the balls to take on such behaviour ?

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Jim Hamilton, Scottish?
Having played for England u21s he suddenly developed tgat illness called scottishmyarseness, born in Swindon, educated & developed in England !

Parents apparently drunk a pint of McEwan's once !
A plastic jock, if ever there were one?

Not quite so much. "Though capped by England at under-19 level, he qualified for Scotland through his Glasgow-born father, who served for 24 years in the Queen’s Own Highlanders."

If I'd ever been good enough to play for Scotland, I would have followed that path. Scottish parents, brought up Scottish, and lived in England.

I would suggest that if anyone's talking out their arse it's you. And it's not as though England are coming from any kind of place of ideological purity on this, are they?

mike_fernlea

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Mike Ford is blaming the ref here, while then going on to say that he's not trying to blame the ref!

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Even if I wasn't a referee, I would still a struggle to say the ref in this match did much wrong. Its as if both teams see a storm cloud descending on them and are trying to mitigate their actions before it hits. Most teams man up and fess up, and not drag down the good name of an honest, experienced and respected official.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
And another thing... just heard on Radio 5 that Gloucester claim the bottle wielding supporter was a school kid, not sure what the imlication of that is.

Maybe there is a heated debate taking place between the Rugby traditionalists and the Finance Director /Marketing men over how much "lifetime income" might be lost & how much spend is needed to attract the next supporter to replace him if he and his parents were ejected ....... !

I'm frightened by my own cynicism, especially when I used to believe in the tooth fairy.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Wiki-jim

" Born in Swindon, England, the son of a soldier also called James who was a sergeant major in the Army. He was educated at Coundon Court School in Coventry, and played for Barkers Butts R.F.C, whilst there he was part of the Warwickshire Colts side before joining Leicester Tigers.
Hamilton played for England at U21 level "

Can't help wondering why he was so Scottish that he didn't choose them at u19/u21 ? When did the realisation hit him, on his 22nd birthday?

Brought up Scottish?, I've got a gun, so hey, maybe I'm american?!? ..... Only banter matey, got a lot of time for big Jim, especially cos of his community work in local clubs.