Global Law Trials

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Re: The Times - new laws

RFU have a laws sub committee meeting this week and are "expected" to approve all the changes from August 1st.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For a 22 drop out you point to the 22.

Now how could you use that signal by pointing somewhere to indicate a GL drop out :chin:

maybe the ref could run away from the play and under the posts? Just a thought :horse:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

ah - saw that thread yesterday but all the discussion was about 50/22 and drop outs.

I didn't notice the additional ones they snuck in -- flying wedge and knee tackles

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes

How do you target a player's legs if your head is higher than your hips?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

How do you target a player's legs if your head is higher than your hips?

Every video example I saw was in the side for me, so not sure why they aren't being penalised already?
Is this one aimed mainly at the professional game?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I am going to merge the two threads to avoid doubling up.
Mod

Edit: two threads on this same subject have been merged into this one.

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
i think the Law book needs to remove that definition (not even WR use it consistently) and re-define defenders to mean 'not in possession' and just say 'in your own half' for the other thing.

'Defenders' is not currently defined

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
'Defenders' is not currently defined

[LAWS]
Dead: The ball is dead when the referee blows the whistle to stop play or following an unsuccessful conversion.
Dead-ball line: The line at either end (and not part) of the playing area.
Defending team: The team in whose half play is taking place.
Directly caught: A ball caught without first touching anyone else or the ground.
Drop-kick: After being intentionally dropped to the ground from the hand or hands, the ball is kicked as it rises from its first bounce.

[/LAWS]

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So, just a couple of quick ones on the 3 or more players being pre bound.

Does the to be ball carrier count as 1 of the 3? Or is it just the players bound to him?
I'm also guessing the the 3 players can bind once the ball has been received. Meaning all the attackers need to do is stay very close and bind (before contact), just after the ball is received. Making the Law change moot as we'll have the same result... 3 players (or more) bound together charging through to the defensive line.

Or am I missing something.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So, just a couple of quick ones on the 3 or more players being pre bound.

Does the to be ball carrier count as 1 of the 3? Or is it just the players bound to him?
I'm also guessing the the 3 players can bind once the ball has been received. Meaning all the attackers need to do is stay very close and bind (before contact), just after the ball is received. Making the Law change moot as we'll have the same result... 3 players (or more) bound together charging through to the defensive line.

Or am I missing something.
I think the point of the variation is to forbid pre-binding before contact, not before the ball carrier receives the ball. Or have I missed something?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Am I correct that if a player from the same team is bound to the ball carrier and an opposing player binds above the waist - that immediately forms a maul? But if they grasp below the waist and try to bring them down that is a tackle?

Also if you are bound to the ball carrier in open play and not offside, but an opposing player is running on a line that would intercept the ball carrier were it not for the precence of the bound player - is the bound player obstructing the tackle?

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Ah, I've just went onto the WR site. I was reading from a 2nd hand source that specified prior to receiving the ball.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
[LAWS]
Dead: The ball is dead when the referee blows the whistle to stop play or following an unsuccessful conversion.
Dead-ball line: The line at either end (and not part) of the playing area.
Defending team: The team in whose half play is taking place.
Directly caught: A ball caught without first touching anyone else or the ground.
Drop-kick: After being intentionally dropped to the ground from the hand or hands, the ball is kicked as it rises from its first bounce.

[/LAWS]

Indeed 'Defending Team' is defined, but 'Defender' isn't, though they look similar they mean different things. The English language is tricky like that. Defense/Defence is another one. You could show more deference and be less defensive. :pepper:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Am I correct that if a player from the same team is bound to the ball carrier and an opposing player binds above the waist - that immediately forms a maul? But if they grasp below the waist and try to bring them down that is a tackle?

Also if you are bound to the ball carrier in open play and not offside, but an opposing player is running on a line that would intercept the ball carrier were it not for the precence of the bound player - is the bound player obstructing the tackle?

I don't think in practice you'd call a maul immediately, you'd let a dynamic situation breath for a few seconds to see if it could be a tackle.

I think the latched player is entitled to the space and wouldn't be obstructing unless they changed their line to make contact with a potential tackler.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Interesting question posed in another forum:

Does the 50/22 law apply to kickoffs/restart kicks that go indirectly into touch inside the 22?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Interesting question posed in another forum:

Does the 50/22 law apply to kickoffs/restart kicks that go indirectly into touch inside the 22?

I see no reason why not. They only infringe if they go directly into touch; indirectly into touch means that they have been playable by the opposition. No such exception to the 50:22 has been expressed.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Indeed 'Defending Team' is defined, but 'Defender' isn't, though they look similar they mean different things. The English language is tricky like that. Defense/Defence is another one. You could show more deference and be less defensive. :pepper:

Well, I dunno

You are saying that a defender is different from being a member of the defending team?

That's a subtlety that def escapes me ! :)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Every video example I saw was in the side for me, so not sure why they aren't being penalised already?
Is this one aimed mainly at the professional game?

Have to assume so, we were discussing it at training tonight (Level 6/7 standard players) and no one could realistically see how you’d be hitting the lower legs with a legitimate clear out, you had to be in at the side, or maybe driving across in such a way that’s going to paint a similar picture

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Well, I dunno

You are saying that a defender is different from being a member of the defending team?

That's a subtlety that def escapes me ! :)

defender = member of the team not in possession? Not officially defined but a reasonable understanding