Gone 90

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Before I go and look this up, a chance for you all to shine....

Scrum, red put in, taken against the head by blue and scrum then wheels 90 so blow up for reset and turnover ball. But whose put-in? Turnover against red as they put it in, or against blue because they were in possession?

After I made my call, the captains both asked "Are you sure about that?" "No", I said, "if it's wrong I apologise, but that's how we're going to play it today," which seemed to satisfy them.

Just looked it up (much quicker than it used to be on the old site, btw) and pleased to say I got it right (adviser proved wrong again :biggrin:)

Last edited:

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Scrum Red as Blues were in posession when the scum went 90

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Once the scrum goes 90 degrees the next scrum goes to the team who was not last in possession of the ball.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
U19 same put in.

Over 19 put in to side not in possession when scrum went round 90.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
U19 same put in.
U.19, slap on wrist for ref not blowing up when the scrum wheeled 45 degrees. But the reset at adult is as everyone else has said. If an advisor gets this wrong - he needs a refresher.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Correct call is reset putin to team not in possession.

However ... This is a law that needs revision. Used to be, before the 90 rule, the team in possession wheeled so they could take it out the back without opposition. Now the team in possession limits the wheel because they don't want to lose it and there is little to gain going beyond about 45.

So ... Now teams NOT in possession crank it arround to get the reset. If the reset went to the team in possession you'd see a lot less of this.

Time to rethink. Assuming thinking occured in the first place.