GPS Monitors

scarlet referee

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Looking to try and gather some stats on my performances and looking to find out what equipment othere use?? Dont want to spent too much money so is there a good iphone app I can use and maybe just keep my phone in my pocket??

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
let me just get this straight... in order to improve your game, you want to weigh yourself down with a telephone while you run for 80 minutes, with your phone bouncing against your leg. Is that about it?

Plenty of people on here shell out for GPS devices. I doubt any run around with a phone.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I ran around today with comms and it was at least as heavy and certainly bulkier than my android.

Comms owner (level 5 london) informed me about a lot, but neither he nor I would have been bothered by the four or five ounces.

I'm more worried that the GPS on my droid is crap.

scarlet referee

Referees in Wales
Post Likes

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have the Garmin Forerunner 405CX. Looking at getting a new one for next year.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My son has a load of GPS running nonsense on his phone. He shows me little maps of where he's been and how fast he was running when he went past so and so.

It think it's an app on a Samsung phone. YAWWWWWWWNN!!!!!!!

He got it when he started running round Slough (so he didn't get lost - he said) and having seen Slough I don't blame him!!!!

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
let me just get this straight... in order to improve your game, you want to weigh yourself down with a telephone while you run for 80 minutes, with your phone bouncing against your leg. Is that about it?

Plenty of people on here shell out for GPS devices. I doubt any run around with a phone.

Just what kind of phone are you thinking he might run around with Dixie? One of these perhaps...

1955_phone%20old%20cell.jpg

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
My son has a load of GPS running nonsense on his phone. He shows me little maps of where he's been and how fast he was running when he went past so and so.

It think it's an app on a Samsung phone. YAWWWWWWWNN!!!!!!!

He got it when he started running round Slough (so he didn't get lost - he said) and having seen Slough I don't blame him!!!!
Even I've got one of those. They are pretty good. It helped me track my progress and didn't allow me to "cheat". I don't know if I would want to take my phone out on the field with me though - what if it rings?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Even I've got one of those. They are pretty good. It helped me track my progress and didn't allow me to "cheat". I don't know if I would want to take my phone out on the field with me though - what if it rings?

Watch what you say there damo, these buggers will be wanting Richie to wear one all the time.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Reading through this thread it would seem its impossible to take a mobile phone out onto the pitch with a GPRS app because:

They weigh too much
No one has silent mode
No one can fit one in their pocket, or an arm pouch
No one has their phone insured

How weird?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
we had a mellee on Saturday. As it progressed ref voice recorded it on his iphone: "blue 7, punch; red 3, 2 punches, etc"

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
we had a mellee on Saturday. As it progressed ref voice recorded it on his iphone: "blue 7, punch; red 3, 2 punches, etc"

Perhaps the iRB will trial that during Bledisloe III?

"Black 7 in at the side"
"Gold 3 collapsing"
"Black 7 handling on the floor"
"Gold 1 collapsing"
"Black 7...."

Shit my battery's flat.