Grounded?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'll add this angle was shown multiple times on TV. This didn't surface an hour after full time

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I thought it was, and as the TMO rocked it back and forth I thought it was clear enough. I guess one question is, why can’t/don’t they zoom in like you have there?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought it was, and as the TMO rocked it back and forth I thought it was clear enough. I guess one question is, why can’t/don’t they zoom in like you have there?
Because it isn't conclusive zoomed or not!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As I said before .. the protocol pays far too much attention to the on field decision

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If rugby games were 75 minutes long, Nic Berry would be a great referee

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I was sent this picture by my daughter, so i don't know who zoomed it. But tbh with what i saw on the tv, unzoomed i couldn't work out what was supposed to be under the entire ball at that juncture, or if it was amazingly hovering 1mm above the grass.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Because it isn't conclusive zoomed or not!
So what is under the entire ball? Cos of that loamy touching a single blade of grass along its entire length, what is it touching?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So what is under the entire ball? Cos of that loamy touching a single blade of grass along its entire length, what is it touching?
I don't know what it is or isn't touching!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If rugby games were 75 minutes long, Nic Berry would be a great referee
That's possibly a bit unfair....

What happened in the other 5 mins that made you doubt his performance?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That's possibly a bit unfair....

What happened in the other 5 mins that made you doubt his performance?
As I've said before, odd decions are made in the last 5 or 10 minutes of games that Berry officiates. I think he has trouble maintaining concentration for 80 mins. At the very least, he clearly gets flustered when the heat is on

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As I've said before, odd decions are made in the last 5 or 10 minutes of games that Berry officiates. I think he has trouble maintaining concentration for 80 mins. At the very least, he clearly gets flustered when the heat is on
I still think that's a bit unfair....

You're entitled to your opinion though.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If you get to see the video of the game…

As the game clock reaches 82:59 the TMO clearly says “there is the ball on the ground“

Shrug. Whatever. Make of that what you will.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
If you get to see the video of the game…

As the game clock reaches 82:59 the TMO clearly says “there is the ball on the ground“

Shrug. Whatever. Make of that what you will.
And then he wanted to do more checks when he realised Berry would reverse on what he'd said.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
And then he wanted to do more checks when he realised Berry would reverse on what he'd said.
Yeah. Or - my guess - someone with him off mic said “ I don’t think so”. Somebody that was not the TMO. Maybe the van driver? Or the tea lady?

Meanwhile a PT can be awarded for a probable try, but a referral can’t just be probable it seems. Notwithstanding that initial picture which I’m still struggling to understand isn’t showing grounding

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The protocol needs to change
1 get rid of the 'on field decision ' the ref saw it once, in real time, from one angle.. why should that initial impression have any weight in the process , once we have got the TMO involved with all their tech ?
2 the TMO starts from scratch and forms the best view of what happened

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Meanwhile…

in rugby parlance, a try was PROBABLY scored. Which is good enough for a PT after all?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What did the sensor in the ball say?

Rather than providing some pointless stats such as the "territorial gain" of 16.82m why not use the tech for something meaningful?

Although I would suggest Berry despite his own good position and vision of the play was forced to go "upstairs".

If he'd been on the other side of the play I feel it would have been given as he would make a differing statement, whereas for these circumstances the TMO did not believe he had sufficient evidence to counter the ref's on pitch call.

Does make more of a mockery of the process though.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The protocol needs to change
1 get rid of the 'on field decision ' the ref saw it once, in real time, from one angle.. why should that initial impression have any weight in the process , once we have got the TMO involved with all their tech ?
2 the TMO starts from scratch and forms the best view of what happened
The problem with that though is if the TMO can't make a decision, what happens then?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Presumably no try.

But we are now back to PROBABLE being good enough for a PT but not this.

Last edited: