Grubber kick k/o or restart

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've had a couple of instances where a kicker has been coached to grubber rather than drop kick at a kick off or restart when the ground is wet.

I know what my action is on these occasions - what about yours

Off to do my bit now - U15 girls match at 14:00

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Drop kick is when you kick the ball after it has bounced - it doesn't have to bounce far, 1mm will do.

So I have no problem with a kick that grubs alongs the ground at KO / 22DO.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I've had a couple of instances where a kicker has been coached to grubber rather than drop kick at a kick off or restart when the ground is wet. I know what my action is on these occasions - what about yours.
When you say "grubber kick" I assume you mean a shallow drop kick that just bounces along the ground.

As I understand it (from this site) at KO / restarts, a ball doesn't have to travel 10m in the air - but it does have to travel at least 10m. So it can bounce along the ground but it's got to reach the 10m line.

If the oppos play it before it reaches 10m then play on.
If the kicking off team play it before it's gone 10m then its a kick / scrum option.

Last edited:

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes

As long as it goes 10m (or if it's U11/U12, 7m) my action is to do nothing at all as it's an entirely legal start to the game.

What else would you do?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
A grubber drop kick is a surprisingly hard skill. Pay close atention to make sure it's actually bounced!

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Almost all of my drop kicks turned into grubbers, with no skill required at all:)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My best effort was at a 25 [sic] drop out. My left foot skidded, I ended up on my back, but a legal drop kick went under the opponents jumping to block it.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
My best effort was at a 25 [sic] drop out. My left foot skidded, I ended up on my back, but a legal drop kick went under the opponents jumping to block it.

that's great!:biggrin: :cry: :clap:

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes

Aha! Now we know where your abhorrence of drop kicks stems from! :biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

my last attempt at cricket I bowled a ball so slowly that for the last 5-6m it was rolling along the ground.
batsman took an almighty swipe, missed and the ball rolled on and hit middle stump with just enough force to knock a bail off :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
my last attempt at cricket I bowled a ball so slowly that for the last 5-6m it was rolling along the ground.
batsman took an almighty swipe, missed and the ball rolled on and hit middle stump with just enough force to knock a bail off :)

Trevor Crossref?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've had a couple of instances where a kicker has been coached to grubber rather than drop kick at a kick off or restart when the ground is wet.

Off to do my bit now - U15 girls match at 14:00
I assume you mean that the grubber was objectionable being a kick out of hand, rather than a drop kick.

As it's a deliberate ploy, at adult levels I'd offer a scrum or rekick. At U.15 and younger junior levels, I'd have the kick retaken with a warning at the first occasion, escalating to normal adult sanctions thereafter.

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
I assume you mean that the grubber was objectionable being a kick out of hand, rather than a drop kick.

As it's a deliberate ploy, at adult levels I'd offer a scrum or rekick. At U.15 and younger junior levels, I'd have the kick retaken with a warning at the first occasion, escalating to normal adult sanctions thereafter.
Aren't both kicks out of hand?
The distinction here would be how the kicker executes it, whether it's a punted grubber or a drop grubber? The drop grubber is surely legal as a restart?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes

Dead ball. Not out.