HAPPY CHRISTMAS (if that offends someone tough)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Have a great Christmas ladies and Gents, have a fantastic time with your families and friends, catch up in 2015 :bday:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
can anyboduy actually point me to a source that shows that somebody HAS been offended by the phrase "happy Christmas" in the UK? Or US/NZ/Oz/Canada etc etcetc if you like?

All I see online/google are lots people suggesting nobody should be, or how to avoid upsetting anyone... but I can't easily find a source that said anything like eg "Mr. X was offended buy the term 'Happy Christmas' and complained to Y about it".

I do wonder if all the hoo-hah doesn't actually exist except in the minds of the tree huggers and the bolshy-right?

didds

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I do wonder if all the hoo-hah doesn't actually exist except in the minds of the... bolshy-right?
Oy Moosh! I don't have any issues with wishing people a happy Christmas! From my vantage point here slightly to the right of Genghis Khan, it's tickety-boo.

Merry Christmas all.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The "problem" with Happy Christmas is a Daily Heil / express fallacy. Still, they have to pander to their readership.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
can anyboduy actually point me to a source that shows that somebody HAS been offended by the phrase "happy Christmas" in the UK? Or US/NZ/Oz/Canada etc etcetc if you like?

All I see online/google are lots people suggesting nobody should be, or how to avoid upsetting anyone... but I can't easily find a source that said anything like eg "Mr. X was offended buy the term 'Happy Christmas' and complained to Y about it".

I do wonder if all the hoo-hah doesn't actually exist except in the minds of the tree huggers and the bolshy-right?

didds

A couple of weeks ago I was listening to the ABC on the radio while working. The program host had a "music expert" guest and they were discussing old Christmas albums and which was the best from years ago. One was by Bing Crosby and I can't remember who the other old Bud was.
Anyway, the female host gets a text message half way through from some guy called Peter. He basically says he can't believe that the ABC was discriminating against all of the people who didn't believe in celebrating Christmas by playing the old Bing album.
WTF???
There was no belting of the audience with a religion stick during the segment and "Peter's" comments pissed me and many others off but then the host almost apologised to the dickhead!!!
Don't know what pissed me off more in the end, the original text from the "victim" or the totally unnecessary apology. Plenty of listeners got stuck into Pete the Victim on the SMS.

Anyway, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all forum members and your families and thanks for your help, knowledge, humour and sometimes robust discussions throughout 2014. Hope you all have a safe xmas and New Year holiday period, however you observe this time of year, and hope to see everyone back fit and healthy in 2015.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
OP title, ditto.

To everyone who ive amused or informed, happy xmas.
To everyone I've not, such is life, happy xmas nevertheless.
To everyone ive offended, grow bigger shoulders, offence is taken - not given, happy Xmas anyway.
To anyone able to recognise humour wit or banter , happy Xmas.
To anyone I've helped become a better referee, happy Xmas.
To anyone I've upset, get over it, move on, happy Xmas anyway.

If you don't believe in xmas, happy 25th Dec, the date doesnt actually matter to me as I dont celebrate Ramadan or Hanukkah either.

:love:

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
BAH HUMBUG !!!!! :booty: