Has the high number of replacements skewed the game?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is exactly the SA way at present... they do have enough power tight forwards for almost a full change at 40-50 minutes. I can't work out if you think this is good or bad for fatigue? A lack of full match fitness should the need arise to play a full game (e.g. early replacement due to injury), or low fatigue due to reduced game time.

There is certainly a risk having only 1 back reserve... they have a scrum half on the bench this weekend, Faf can also play 10, Willemse can move around and also cover 10... there is enough flexibility when you also have the option of keeping it in the forwards, who will most likely be dominating for the full 80 minutes.
Going back to Eng v SA n 2019 and Kyle Sinkler being replaced very early leaves you with a prop now having to cover 70 mins+ and with doubt over their endurance this
I definitely think Ireland will be aiming to keep the pace of the game as fast as they can.
Seem Ireland where the team trying to get the pace taken out of the game early on.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I used to play Old Sulians

Just saying.

(and we follow each other on twitter)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So no front row replacements?

I think you mean you'll be going 0-0, unless RFU variations allow this.
In many merit tables this is allowed, subs are optional

I a lower level RFU league game, a game could still be played (although might be penalties)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
In many merit tables this is allowed, subs are optional

I a lower level RFU league game, a game could still be played (although might be penalties)

Sometime it feels like having 15 players is optional!!! At least RFU is still trying to get a game going rather than cancel.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
show you how things have changed in the professional era. Springboks went 2-1 split here

Attachments

• 1696056680952.png
    1696056680952.png
    710.6 KB · Views: 7

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
couldn't have been long after that - a year? - when the SA v NZ series became farcical with multiple "injuries" and so the genie was out of the bottle and tactical substitutions came in, and then the bench expanded because all three FR positions then needed including etc etc
That (elite) ganme gets what the (elite) game wants/needs/deserves (delete as appropriate).