He won't do that again

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Don't pick on him, he's having a tough week, expense account at the OXO tower has been put on hold for December :wink:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I presume we all agree it was a silly thing for the 10 to do, since it was just the sort of thing that some people devise as a trick play. You can't blame the defenders for reacting, so why should the referee interfere? A brave and valid decision.

Many years ago a player who had touched down a kick decided to return the ball to his fly-half for the drop-out by using a drop kick, but overdid it. An alert opponent caught it, treated is a a valid drop-out, ran through, and scored. The referee allowed it.

quick thinking opponent, and quick thinking referee. was it you OB ?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Many years ago a player who had touched down a kick decided to return the ball to his fly-half for the drop-out by using a drop kick, but overdid it. An alert opponent caught it, treated is a a valid drop-out, ran through, and scored. The referee allowed it.

Very poor reffing in my view and a decision that makes the ref look like a twat.

Let me ask you this: ball in touch and player retrieves it. He thinks about a quick throw but clearly decides against it. Just prior to lineout forming he tosses the ball to his hooker. Are you going to call that a QT and play on?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Very poor reffing in my view and a decision that makes the ref look like a twat.
Not the player who chose to drop kick the ball?

The referee was faced with a freak situation, and correctly decided there was no reason in Law to disallow the try.

Let me ask you this: ball in touch and player retrieves it. He thinks about a quick throw but clearly decides against it. Just prior to lineout forming he tosses the ball to his hooker. Are you going to call that a QT and play on?
The lineout has not formed? Valid QT in all respects? Could be a valid ploy.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
quick thinking opponent, and quick thinking referee. was it you OB ?
Some older Gloucestershire referees may remember Ray Arnold, who was the referee concerned. I was still a young(ish) player.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not the player who chose to drop kick the ball?

No, not the player. He was exercising his right to return the ball to the kicker on the 22 even if he over-cooked it.

What if it had been a punt instead of a DK? Scrum to opposition for using wrong type of kick?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
this is a serious Daily Mail Cup 1st XV match between two good rugby schools, well coached and no doubt a number of county and probably divisional players on the pitch.

we have an experienced London 7+1 referee in the middle, so well used to high pressure competitive matches

if DGS 10 is silly enough to do the ball drop onto his foot and back up (which I would have interpretted as a quick tap and go) that is up to him and he has to live with it

quite correct management Toby - well done

I agree with what the guyser in marketing said.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ball in both hands, walks up to the mark I've just made and kicks it to himself, looks to all watchnig like he's tapping and going. It ticked all the boxes for a legit restart -as I said before had he scored a try from it I'd have awarded it.

Got it. As you have seen clear intent to take a tap & go then a good call by you.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Speaking of leggings! I had this situation last season where.........

Just kidding