He won't do that again

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I did this game yesterday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-victory-over-profligate-Dartford-Grammar.htm

10 mins to go
Campion leading 10-7
I award a PK to Dartford on the 22 in line with one of the posts.

Campion kicker and captain wander up to me. Nothing is said to me they are talking to each other Campion kicker standing on the mark does a 'keepy up' i.e. drops the ball onto his foot and kicks it back to himself.

At which point Campion defence come screaming up and tackling him. Play on says I. Opps.

To be fair the coach sounds a lot more whiny in print than in real life. He questioned me about it but saved his ire for the kicker (and the prop who gave aaway 10ms for chat that made the next PK kickable.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
No room for managing that one by stopping and saying, they're still deciding lads but it's coming our of their 60s. Restart, most people should be happy and no one gets that 'GOT YA' feeling?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
No room for managing that one by stopping and saying, they're still deciding lads but it's coming our of their 60s. Restart, most people should be happy and no one gets that 'GOT YA' feeling?

6th Round dailymail cup. Close game, high skill levels - I can't see how they can get a get out of jail free card on that one. Basic error by the 10, good alertness by the defense.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
To be fair the coach sounds a lot more whiny in print than in real life. He questioned me about it but saved his ire for the kicker (and the prop who gave aaway 10ms for chat that made the next PK kickable.

Actually, I read it the other way - obviously, you're sensitive to potential criticism of a difficult decision as we all would be but, if you take that "bias" out of reading the report, the criticism is of the No 10, not the referee.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dermot Gillivan, assistant head of PE at Dartford, explained: “The match rested on the moment we had a penalty, we elected for the posts, our guy has kicked the ball to himself because he always plays with the ball, and the ref thought it was a tap and go..."

So had they elected to kick at posts before the tap?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dermot Gillivan, assistant head of PE at Dartford, explained: “The match rested on the moment we had a penalty, we elected for the posts, our guy has kicked the ball to himself because he always plays with the ball, and the ref thought it was a tap and go..."

So had they elected to kick at posts before the tap?

Toby's original post says no they hadn't elected.

Campion kicker and captain wander up to me. Nothing is said to me they are talking to each other Campion kicker standing on the mark does a 'keepy up' i.e. drops the ball onto his foot and kicks it back to himself

in which case he could indeed tap and go...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
in fact it seems dartford made two silly mistakes

Minutes later, Dartford’s huge prop Greg Blanchard was penalised for holding on to the ball on the floor after being tackled, just inside the 10m line. Blanchard remonstrated with the referee claiming he had released the ball, and the penalty was marched forward another 10
It was within kicking distance now

both costing 3 points.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I spoke with the captain at the next breakdown - I explained my call his face dropped as he understood what his 10 had done - after the game he said 'I thought I had elected' I said you said nothing to me and you didn't point to the posts, he acknowledged this.

If he did I didn't hear it (and was 2-3m away from him as he was involved in 'winning' the PK) he didn't point at the posts either. I certainly hadn't pointed at the posts.

To spin it the other way - had the 10 ran at the oppo and scored - I would have allowed the try.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sounds fair then. As you said, he won't do that again.

I spoke with the captain at the next breakdown - I explained my call his face dropped as he understood what his 10 had done - after the game he said 'I thought I had elected' I said you said nothing to me and you didn't point to the posts, he acknowledged this.

If he did I didn't hear it (and was 2-3m away from him as he was involved in 'winning' the PK) he didn't point at the posts either. I certainly hadn't pointed at the posts.

To spin it the other way - had the 10 ran at the oppo and scored - I would have allowed the try.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
was it a "cold day" in the referees opinion?????

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I did this game yesterday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-victory-over-profligate-Dartford-Grammar.htm

10 mins to go
Campion leading 10-7
I award a PK to Dartford on the 22 in line with one of the posts.

Campion kicker and captain wander up to me. Nothing is said to me they are talking to each other Campion kicker standing on the mark does a 'keepy up' i.e. drops the ball onto his foot and kicks it back to himself.

At which point Campion defence come screaming up and tackling him. Play on says I. Opps.

Sorry, ref SNAFU for me. Player had no intent to take QT so should have been brought back for PK option.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
did he do the same prior to the conversion he kicked earlier? when the ball was dead? this is a tough one.

if the ball were on the ground and the mark was a few feet forward and the kicker walked up and quickly dribbled the ball to the mark as the captain was making his decision would you play on?

Ball in both hands, walks up to the mark I've just made and kicks it to himself, looks to all watchnig like he's tapping and going. It ticked all the boxes for a legit restart -as I said before had he scored a try from it I'd have awarded it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the very moment he tapped it

- did you think it was a tap, and were then momentarily confused/surprised when he didn't run ?
- or did you think nothing of it and were then momentarily confused/surprised when all the defenders immediately charged ?

or were you so quick thinking that you you could see the whole thnig unfolding and weren't surprised at all...

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
the very moment he tapped it

- did you think it was a tap, and were then momentarily confused/surprised when he didn't run ?
- or did you think nothing of it and were then momentarily confused/surprised when all the defenders immediately charged ?

or were you so quick thinking that you you could see the whole thnig unfolding and weren't surprised at all...

My first thought was he was trying to be sneaky, tap it and then walk towards the oppo. The oppo then charge his face tells me what he's really done - at which stage he runs.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My first thought was he was trying to be sneaky, tap it and then walk towards the oppo. The oppo then charge his face tells me what he's really done - at which stage he runs.

FWIW it seems to me you are put in a tricky spot and made the correct decision.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I presume we all agree it was a silly thing for the 10 to do, since it was just the sort of thing that some people devise as a trick play. You can't blame the defenders for reacting, so why should the referee interfere? A brave and valid decision.

Many years ago a player who had touched down a kick decided to return the ball to his fly-half for the drop-out by using a drop kick, but overdid it. An alert opponent caught it, treated is a a valid drop-out, ran through, and scored. The referee allowed it.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
FWIW it seems to me you are put in a tricky spot and made the correct decision.

Any decision which could well result in a 10 getting absolutely creamed MUST be correct!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
this is a serious Daily Mail Cup 1st XV match between two good rugby schools, well coached and no doubt a number of county and probably divisional players on the pitch.

we have an experienced London 7+1 referee in the middle, so well used to high pressure competitive matches

if DGS 10 is silly enough to do the ball drop onto his foot and back up (which I would have interpretted as a quick tap and go) that is up to him and he has to live with it

quite correct management Toby - well done