[Law] Head injury or not

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I suspect he suspected something, but it didn't look like boxing him into the corner to me - IIRC he straight up asked if it was an HIA when the doctor came on.

What I'd have preferred to see (wanting Wales to win and not wanting to see this sort of thing in the game) was a series of more probing questions from Barnes "What are you doing on the pitch?" "Why do you want to see him? He just told me he's fine" "When did he get this bang on the head?" "Fine. Now f*** off and let us get on with the game!". The last bit is just wishful thinking.

*gallic shrug*
Eh bof, m'sieu, desole, mais je ne parle pas Anglais
*shrug*
*knowing smile*

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Which them illustrates the point I made earlier. This farce highlighted the issues worth language barriers. The French doctor,the French captain and them what appeared to be a discussion with the tmo?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am not sure that language was the problem
- with the French doctor, the doctor knew exactly what WB was on about, and hedged because he didn't want to be forced to say it.
- with the TMO, again I think he understood the question, but not the significance of the question. Then when he understood the significance he didn't actually know the answer as he hadn't been paying enough attention at the time, and didn't have the card in his hand.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the French coach (or whoever he was) leaving the technical area to speak to the doctor. He isn't supposed to do this to stop exactly this sort of thing.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the French coach (or whoever he was) leaving the technical area to speak to the doctor. He isn't supposed to do this to stop exactly this sort of thing.

I think it's a red herring - all the coaching team, waterboys, physios are in radio contact anyway, and surely this includes the doctor.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Im presuming that crossref and Didds mean the 4th official when they say TMO ?

For me it was a blatant ruse to get the more powerful scrummager on, questions will have to be asked, I think Barnes was very clear in his questioning of the Dr as much to back the Dr into a corner as to cover himself, Barnes knew exactly what was going on and maybe just maybe didnt call time off while he sorted out an inequitable situation.

Wales didnt cover themselves in glory either by taking an age to take off a player when the replacement prop went on.

Over all I thought Barnes was cool calm and collected when many around him were playing silly beggars.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I suspect he suspected something, but it didn't look like boxing him into the corner to me - IIRC he straight up asked if it was an HIA when the doctor came on.

What I'd have preferred to see (wanting Wales to win and not wanting to see this sort of thing in the game) was a series of more probing questions from Barnes "What are you doing on the pitch?" "Why do you want to see him? He just told me he's fine" "When did he get this bang on the head?" "Fine. Now f*** off and let us get on with the game!". The last bit is just wishful thinking.

As I recall, WB asked for confirmation that the French team rep was a doctor and that he thought the prop needed a HIA. That was, to me, very impressive by WB. Now if that happened to me, the player is going off, and I would never challenge that on the pitch. But the doctor may have to answer to the GMC (or the French equivalent) if it turns out he lied.

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... But the doctor may have to answer to the GMC (or the French equivalent) if it turns out he lied.
This is the point I was trying to make earlier. By asking the doctor a straight question, he's being put on the spot and of course they know he is being recorded.

Julien Cazenave

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
but does it matter if it was an head injury or back injury or any other injury ?
If a prop is injured you can bring back another prop. The only difference is that he wont be allowed back for injury but could for head injury.

so if the doc said, not head but back and he can not continue, it would be the same, or did I miss something ?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
With the player saying he was ok to play the only way to yank him off would have been for the bench to intervene and take it out of his hands with an HIA call. This is what they look to have done to be sure they got the outcome and certainty they required ........ Allegedly!

UpandUnder

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
And here's the problem right there.

In my opinion, doctors at international level should never be French or Welsh (or whichever country is playing that day) - they should be neutral. In fact after "Bloodgate" I thought all doctors were neutral, with no vested interests.

Each team would still have to have it's own doctor and in my limited experience with doctors is that if one doctor says something the other would rarely disagree in public.

Scenario:
French Doctor: This player needs a HIA
Ref: Neutral Doctor, does this player need a HIA
Neutral doctor: ( Thinking;Doesnt look like it to me but I'm not familiar with this player) Yes he does

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Each team would still have to have it's own doctor and in my limited experience with doctors is that if one doctor says something the other would rarely disagree in public.

Scenario:
French Doctor: This player needs a HIA
Ref: Neutral Doctor, does this player need a HIA
Neutral doctor: ( Thinking;Doesnt look like it to me but I'm not familiar with this player) Yes he does

Tmo.: that is all the angles I have
Ref So, I am am thinking it wasn't a fair challenge, he has landed dangerously, and I am thinking it's a straight red ?
TMO.: .................Yes I agree.

Sound familiar?

UpandUnder

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Ref So, I am am thinking it wasn't a fair challenge, he has landed dangerously, and I am thinking it's a straight red ?

Sound familiar?

Always let someone else be wrong

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes

Sound familiar?

Equally familiar is:

TMO.: Do you want to have one more look?
Ref: It's still a red card for me.
TMO: I'll show you a couple more angles...

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Equally familiar is:

TMO.: Do you want to have one more look?
Ref: It's still a red card for me.
TMO: I'll show you a couple more angles...

Yes, the "coded exchange"!

.......But then he has already shown all the angles! :D

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
With the player saying he was ok to play the only way to yank him off would have been for the bench to intervene and take it out of his hands

I'm surprised Dickie hasn't responded to this!!!!!!