[7's/10's] Heel kick conversion? Would you allow it?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Which Crossref, would go to support the view that the 'ban' isnt intended to apply to 'conversions' , but only to PK or FKs.

Irrespective of skill or technique, I retain the view that its piss taking & disrespectful to the opposition, as we'd likely never see it in a close score (serious) fixture.

IMO, I don't think they even considered the issue of heel-kick conversion.
But it doesn't really matter what they intended -- the way the Law is written it clearly does apply to conversions, whether they meant it to or not.

IMO it also prevents a back-heeled kickoff, restart, or drop-out, for that matter.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Irrespective of skill or technique, I retain the view that its piss taking & disrespectful to the opposition, as we'd likely never see it in a close score (serious) fixture.

Is it any less respectful to decline to take a conversion, which is completely disdainful of the extra 2 points?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I can think of good, tactical reasons to decline the conversion though.

The "piss take" scenario of conversions is usually getting the prop to take it cos you are so far ahead it doesn't matter

didds

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Was it ever illegal (except in 7s) to kick the ball in a scrum? If so - then it is necessary to exclude the heel from being a kick, so that the hooker can strike the ball.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
do the laws require the hooker to "kick" ?

or just "strike"?

didds

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
My point is - if it WAS illegal to kick the ball in the scrum, and using the heel is kicking, then how to you hook the ball?

So an exception needed to be made to the kicking law - making a heel, not a kick.....

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Is it any less respectful to decline to take a conversion, which is completely disdainful of the extra 2 points?
Yes, one is a tactical clock saver, the other is .....unsportsmanlike piss-taking.

But I think you know the differences.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
IMO, I don't think they even considered the issue of heel-kick conversion.
But it doesn't really matter what they intended -- the way the Law is written it clearly does apply to conversions, whether they meant it to or not.

IMO it also prevents a back-heeled kickoff, restart, or drop-out, for that matter.

You simply can't hinge this subject on the poor wording of law, if you follow that process then .....

[LAWS][FONT=fs_blakeregular]A kick is made by hitting the ball with any part of the leg or foot, except the heel, from the toe to the knee but not including the knee;[/FONT][FONT=fs_blakeregular] a kick must move the ball a visible distance out of the hand, or along the ground[/FONT][FONT=fs_blakeregular].[/FONT][/LAWS]

Conversions that aren't "along the ground" aren't allowed either !!!!