HIA and YC on same player

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Seenm elsewhere over the weekend as a gneral debate and i thought it worthy of a chat here.

Scenario: Player A is YCd for whatever silliness, but at the same time has a head knock and is under HIA simulatneoulsy.

Does

- The YC start after the HIA is completed
- does the player that would replace a permanent HIA effectively sit out a YC?
- if a HIA replacement does sit it out, then come on can the YCd and HIA cleared p;ayer subsequently replace him?
- something else?

I suspect tyhere is a time limit on item 3 but I cant recall!

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
IMO the yellow card would take preference so he is off the field, no replacement and he can have the HIA during the sin bin time, once the sin bin time is up and if he has not finished the HIA (as they are allowed up to 15 minutes) or failed it he can be replaced

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
IMO the yellow card would take preference so he is off the field, no replacement and he can have the HIA during the sin bin time, once the sin bin time is up and if he has not finished the HIA (as they are allowed up to 15 minutes) or failed it he can be replaced
Has the benefit of being simple too.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Same. YC takes precedent - they are off. The main concern is to make sure they see a medic and not just bimble off to the naughty corner. If they fail/HIA ongoing after 10 then the team sends another player on.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't see why this is complicated?

The HIA process would commence.
The YC clock is also going

If the YC expires before the HIA is completed they make a HIA replacement and someone else goes on to the pitch temporarily pending result of HIA

If the HIA is passed inside the YC period, all is normal, player returns when YC expires

If HIA is failed inside the YC period, then when the YC expires, a permanent replacement is made and someone else goes on

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i never said it would be complicated. Just seeking some guidance.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ha hja ha! very true Phil!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In reality the situation is somewhat confusing
We don't have HIA but we do have rolling subs.
So it's common for someone who gets a knock to come off the pitch, and after five minutes comes back

If the knock was on the head then it gets complicated

Some pragmatism is probably called for

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just to broaden the question. If a YC player also comes off injured, does the treatment have to be pitch side on the naughty chair, or can it be in the warm & dry of the medical room?

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Just to broaden the question. If a YC player also comes off injured, does the treatment have to be pitch side on the naughty chair, or can it be in the warm & dry of the medical room?

I'd imagine safety takes precedence here, so probably no reason why it couldn't take place where it normally would for the duration necessary. I'd certainly allow it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd imagine safety takes precedence here, so probably no reason why it couldn't take place where it normally would for the duration necessary. I'd certainly allow it.
Hmmm. If you get carded make sure you come off with a limp. That way you'll get a nice rubdown in the sheds, a cuppa and a hobnob

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hmmm. If you get carded make sure you come off with a limp. That way you'll get a nice rubdown in the sheds, a cuppa and a hobnob

Heh, hopefully the ref's eyes doesn't beseech them and they realize the player they just YC'ed didn't also just get seriously hurt in recent events - specifically not a head injury.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I did once card a player who got injured after committing the YC offense - offender killed the ball in a ruck 5-10m from the goal line and got up hobbling.

IMO, as long as there's only 14 on the pitch, then I don't care what happens elsewhere during that 10 minutes of game time.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In reality the situation is somewhat confusing
We don't have HIA but we do have rolling subs.
So it's common for someone who gets a knock to come off the pitch, and after five minutes comes back

Some pragmatism is probably called for
Is it really that complicated? If the medics treat a player for a head injury that player should be done for the day.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Is it really that complicated? If the medics treat a player for a head injury that player should be done for the day.

HIA is Head Injury Assessment protocol, and doesn't mean the player necessarily has a head injury or was treated for one. It just means that player was evaluated to determine if they have one. If the evaluation concludes no head injury (i.e. concussion) then the player is allowed to return to the field.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There is no HIA in the situation Crossref is describing. It is recognize and remove.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
There is no HIA in the situation Crossref is describing. It is recognize and remove.

Sorry, maybe I missed something earlier in conversation? But all I see him saying about the situation is:

I believe that would be a candidate for HIA, it doesn't necessarily mean the player has a head injury or needs to be permanently removed? 👀

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No. He is referring to grass roots rugby with rolling subs. There is no HIA at that level. HIA only exists at the elite adult level with the approval of WR