High tackle after half-time whistle

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If so it seems as if they are being doubly penalized.

I'm not sure what you mean by doubly penalized.

Blue knock on and ref orders a scrum to Red. Red player punches a Blue player. Now it's a Blue penalty instead of a Red scrum. Same deal with kick off turning into a penalty. Not sure what is confusing you.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Thanks Taff, that is my understanding also. With that said, I don’t recall ever seeing this happen…? Prior to Pinky’s posting, and Pierre’s and Dickie’s endorsement, it had not occurred to me that the law [10.4 (n)] allows for the adjudication of a penalty to span the two halves. Sin bin time and YC counts certainly can, so I suppose there is not reason why a penalty kick could not be taken in the period following that in which the infraction occurred …it just seems odd to me.

I don't think it would be correct.

If the punch is before you blow for time then clearly the half continues with a PK

If the punch is after you have blown for half time then I would contend that your options, strictly speaking, are a RC or nothing (although I accept that in practice you could probably sell a YC)

By comparison you could think about what would happen if one player punched another before the game had started. Again you could issue a RC , but it seems clearer that you wouldn't start the game with a PK. (In fact for an incident in warm up you'd probably still start with 15 players [?] )

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
By comparison you could think about what would happen if one player punched another before the game had started. Again you could issue a RC , but it seems clearer that you wouldn't start the game with a PK. (In fact for an incident in warm up you'd probably still start with 15 players [?] )

Jim Fleming did that once.
Was walking behind two teams as they went out to the field. The home team was "blind *******...couldn't see a knock on if it were magnified in front of him..[rude word]"

Walk to the centre, indicates the PK and tells them "blind maybe, but not deaf".

(This story passed on to me by a WoS Assessor)

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sounds like a bad case of rabbit ears to me. That's got a very high chance of creating more problems than it solves.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sorry that I have not been around to take part in the discussion and interesting to read the points raised.

FWIW I called half-time, as I was already starting to blow it due to the foot in touch just before the high tackle occurred. I diffused the situation by explaining that time was up when the foot was in touch and before the ball was passed, and that the 6'9" second row will have a stern talking to about his tackling of the 5'4'" player and reminded that he is already on a YC.

The players accepted it, as did the coach - although he did query again after the match - and the 2nd half passed without incident. Only 9 PKs for the half.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Becket when you blow for the foot in touch, you are blowing for touch. Not for half time.
After you have blown for touch, you will pause for a moment, and the make a second whistle, a very different sound, for half time.
The offence was after you blew for touch but before you blew for time

JSAK

Referee, Old Boy, youth coach in Alaska
Post Likes
While both law and precedent would say you are correct, it appears as if Beckett50 got away with it. Quick thinking I'd say.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Becket when you blow for the foot in touch, you are blowing for touch. Not for half time.
After you have blown for touch, you will pause for a moment, and the make a second whistle, a very different sound, for half time.
The offence was after you blew for touch but before you blew for time

Only because, as you so eloquently put it, there are two peeps of the whistle to signal half time :biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Only because, as you so eloquently put it, there are two peeps of the whistle to signal half time :biggrin:

sort of - but this is exactly the point of why we whistle the way we do.
If you follow the protocol correctly (whistle for stoppage / signal for stoppage / then whistle for time) this solves the scenario you have in the OP, there simply isn't a problem