Highest rugby ground in England?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A friend has just asked me this question. A suggested answer is Buxton. Does anyone know?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Another forum posed the same question, which was answered as ......

Buxton rfc @ 336 metres (1092 feet)
source Google Earth.

Although, strangely, the club website doesn't appear to shout that claim, when you would've thought they might've.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

source Google Earth.

Google maps gives 1105 feet.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Gosport and Portsmouth are at sea level, but I suspect in Somerset levels, Suffolk / Norfolk and Lincs there a clubs below sea level :biggrin:

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

source Google Earth.

Although, strangely, the club website doesn't appear to shout that claim, when you would've thought they might've.

Google maps gives 1105 feet.

Depends which end of the pitch your on as it is quite hilly up there :biggrin: and maybe Google Earth shoud of gone in the middle of the pitch that way at least you got the mark from the centre spot.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Maybe G.maps was in the bar , whilst G.earth was in the changing rooms 13 ft below
:chin:

On the OS map, the 330m contour runs down through the middle of the pitch, while the 335m one is up by the clubhouse.

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Buxton is a very friendly club. Unlike the weather at this time of year. Had several 1st Saturday in Jan fixtures called off and suffered horizontal sleet on others. Mind you Chesterfield is still under most of the 4" of snow which fell on Boxing Day. I'm there for the NLD cup game on 24th, if I remember I'll take an altimeter.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I stopped a junior game at Buxton when the winger pointed out that his fingers were starting to go blue.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Stocksbridge's old pitch is close on 275-300m AOD.

Not the highest but the 1/2 mile walk to and from the salubrious changing facilities make it feel like a Capt. Scott expedition (without the dying bit obviously).

Their new pitch is closer to civilisation and sea level although that just makes it a longer walk to and from the changing room:biggrin:

Smashing club for all that.

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
My son played his first competitive 15 a side game on the pitch at bolsterstone. As 12 yo boys they weren't impressed by the hike to the pitch, but were a good deal more awake at the whistle than in many of their away games between then and the final match as U18s :clap:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I stopped a junior game at Buxton when the winger pointed out that his fingers were starting to go blue.

Fingers turning blue? That's nothing:

ap1150539m.jpg