Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Id be amazed if it were that few

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think I illustrated this a few seasons back - I guess we won’t see it penalized until they reach the 5m line. Maybe at that point it becomes “material” since violating the law isn’t enough for a whistle at this level.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
As best as i can tell from picture, Fiji has 5 in l/o, OZ has 3. The only real advantage OZ gains is 2 fiji fowards caught at l/o and not in defensive position to defend OZ back play. Perhaps OZ is offending at the throw in to offset misnumbers at l/o. Kind of offsetting infractions and play on by ref.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This picture has been widely published so I hope this won't be allowed moving forward :unsure:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Aus doesnt have to do anything illegal if its F5 v A3.
its a FK if they dont win the lineout

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
yes, - caveat was unspoken.

eitherw ay it doesnt excuse standing so far in field.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The number of times professional hookers are standing inside the line of touch can't be accidental. At this level it must be practiced and they are gaining some sort of advantage. It needs world rugby to sort it out..

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
agreed.
We must have been discussing this for YEARS!
I recall asking Ashley rowden about it at a sarracens fan club thing "meet the ref" eveing.

he just shrugged it off as unimportant and not making any difference.

I asked him what then if they just stopod close enough to hand it to #1 in their line out.

He said well obviously he wold ping that.

So i asked him where his cut off point was.
he avoided answering that question...

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me it does give the thrower an advantage, he is quicker to the subsequent driving maul, not by much but at that level inches or seconds matter

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
As per advancing over the mark for a penalty kick -if it makes "no difference "then do it from 1m behind the line please.

As well as giving the thrower less distance to join any ruck it also make the time for the ball to reach the catcher less.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the point is - everyone has a 'line' in mind beyond which they consider it material, and would ping.

It's just a pity that we can't all agree on where that line is, especially given that the Law book is perfectly clear : both feet outside the FoP

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Can't remember which game during this RWC, but a ref has called this out once... can't remember if he told the hooker to reposition or asked AR to control it better at the next LO.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
For me it does give the thrower an advantage, he is quicker to the subsequent driving maul, not by much but at that level inches or seconds matter

Does it? He couldn't hit a cow's arse with frying pan from what I saw. If it was the lad who played against Wales.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Does it? He couldn't hit a cow's arse with frying pan from what I saw. If it was the lad who played against Wales.
That throw alone could be considered a 10 point shift and the start of the rot!