Hong Kong Sevens - a great festival of top class 7's

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Have spent much of the weekend watching the HK Sevens - excellent entertainment.

Generally thought the refs did an excellent job. Must be a great training ground for the bigger games.

Most unfortunate error of judgement (IMHO) by otherwise excellent ref in final surely denied Wales the result all Welsh will feel they deserved. It was more certain as a red than the one which Warburton got all that time ago!

Will be pleased to note all Welsh accept it philosophically, as coach appeared to, and not ask for clarification...

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Agree with you their Mike, great tournement all weekend, some outstanding results and some freakish ones, some of the minor nations showed how much of an improvement they have made in a short period of time.

We had one of our Society guys out their, Kevin White for his first tournement, and he had a pretty good weekend.

Having worked as the Wales 7's team liason for both Murryfield and Scotstoun for the past 5 years, I have seen first hand and up close the hard work that the Welsh management have put into their players and their development, with Alex Cuthbert, Lloyd Williams and Justin Tipuric all coming through the ranks with the work put in by head coach Paul John and his team.

Ive also spoken to the currently injured Welsh Captain, Rhys Shellard today and he said the boys are gutted at their loss but proud of their display this weekend.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've just finished working there. Flying off to Tokyo this afternoon for the next leg this weekend. A long & tiring 3 days but great fun.

The clock on your TV screen during the games - that's me doing that.

Apart from the YC/RC issue there 2 other notable occurrences:

1. there was a lineout after the hooter and the throw wasn't straight. Ref gave the opposition the lineout/scrum option (I guess based on a "lineout isn't complete" argument). I'd be of the view that he should have gone to half time unless the throw was deliberately not straight to finish the half (in which case PK). Thoughts?

2. Samoa should have been awarded a try late in their final against Canada. A real communication mix up between ref and AR denied them.

Otherwise all pretty good.

Here's an interesting stat: in the pool match England v Samoa it was about 2 minutes into the 2nd half before England completed a successful pass

Last edited:

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
That Samoa v Canada match stuck out like a soar thumb, in what was a very well officiated tournament. Pity. (I didn't watch all of it)

As for the YC that should have been a RC in the final. I feel if the ref had gone with his gut decision it would have been RC. He went and talked to his AR (The Ref from that Samoa v Canada game) who gave him an out. I didn't want 6 v 7 for 15 minutes, maybe they didn't either.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
1. there was a lineout after the hooter and the throw wasn't straight. Ref gave the opposition the lineout/scrum option (I guess based on a "lineout isn't complete" argument). I'd be of the view that he should have gone to half time unless the throw was deliberately not straight to finish the half (in which case PK). Thoughts?
The referee stopped the lineout before it was completed IMHO (even if he played advantage first).

At international level I have seen a wheeled scrum counted as not completed (yes, we have had the argument about the term "new scrum").

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
You are right guys, there were a couple of 'strange' decisions but in 3 days of non stop sevens I won't be complaining!!

Sounds like you Matty and Dickie have some fun!! But will be watching the clock more carefully in future :)

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Apart from the YC/RC issue there 2 other notable occurrences:

I would have agreed, but this isnt the case. They learned from me. I did what you suggested and it was a hands-up moment after the game. Conclusion was that lineout wasnt successfully completed, so the option is still on. Hey ho, glad I can contribute to the SWS!

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just saw some games and highlights (pity I'm abroad for some time and not been able to watch the games as I usually do). Agree on the RC on final. But that got me thinking. What if a player is red carded in a pool game? How about the suspension? Is there some committee that will be able to sanction the same day? What about hearings? What about the games to be played that same day and the next?

I would have agreed, but this isnt the case. They learned from me. I did what you suggested and it was a hands-up moment after the game. Conclusion was that lineout wasnt successfully completed, so the option is still on. Hey ho, glad I can contribute to the SWS!

Spain vs USA, ain't it?

It was a strange moment. Handling the kick for touch after the PK and then the siren going off a bit of play and then back to a not straight (AR input maybe?).

I had no idea if that was right or not. A FK/PK doesn't end the game, but options? Specifically on some actions the options were upgraded to FK in Sevens (restart kicks not going 10 or directly to touch) but it also gives the winning team a chance to con the ref, not lose possession and end the match safely. But I thought you'd know better than me. Also, the Spanish players weren't that sure and thought that the match will continue.

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Most unfortunate error of judgement (IMHO) by otherwise excellent ref in final surely denied Wales the result all Welsh will feel they deserved. It was more certain as a red than the one which Warburton got all that time ago!
I'm curious, but what was the "error of judgement"? I haven't seen any of the HK 7s. :frown:

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm curious, but what was the "error of judgement"? I haven't seen any of the HK 7s. :frown:

Hope we not playing with words but I am reluctant to say, 'Wrong!'. I thought a tip tackle would be adjuged 'red' and 'yellow' was the decision. Fortunately nobody injured and all will learn :)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I haven't seen any of the HK 7s. :frown:

When I lived in HK we always went to the 7s, for the whole weekend.
I don't remember seeing any rugby either :drool: <hic!>

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I thought a tip tackle would be adjuged 'red' and 'yellow' was the decision. Fortunately nobody injured and all will learn :)
Oh hell. Is there a video available? I've looked on Youtube but in the highlites of the final day, it isn't shown.

When I lived in HK we always went to the 7s, for the whole weekend. I don't remember seeing any rugby either :drool: <hic!>
Not as exotic, but sounds like the Aberaeron 7s we used to go to every year as kids.

I used to alternate betwen watching the best teams and having a few beers, but no exaggeration some didn't see a single game all weekend. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ticks all the red card boxes for me.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Red card in Sevens, 10s and 15s in my judgement.

He drove up and then over-rotated on the way down.

Good referee management, until he showed just a YC

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
real time am thinking yc possible rc but will go with my AR as better side to view so yc as per the ref -slomo- both wrong= straight rc as per DC suspension...oops.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have no doubt it was a RC under current law. Having said that I was involved in a discussion with some prominent Rugby 7's identities the other night and the suggestion was that 7 v 6 is too much of an imbalance in what is designed as a visual spectacle. Proposal was to do away with RC in the IRB 7s circuit but double the subsequent suspension. I emphasise this is not an official proposal, just throwing around ideas. Thoughts?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I have no doubt it was a RC under current law.

Having said that I was involved in a discussion with some prominent Rugby 7's identities the other night and the suggestion was that 7 v 6 is too much of an imbalance in what is designed as a visual spectacle.

Proposal was to do away with RC in the IRB 7s circuit but double the subsequent suspension. I emphasise this is not an official proposal, just throwing around ideas. Thoughts?

& there was me stupidly thinking it was a 'dangerous / serious injury prevention issue.

Yes 7's influentials, it's clearly permissable to break someones neck - forget his compressed spinal chord, his lifetime in a wheelchair, & the costs of a insurance & aftercare .............. the post match double punishment balances this amply. I can imagine lawyers4u pricking their ears up as we speak !

Perhaps it's a 'to be thrown away' idea ?

ps.... although, on 2nd thoughts .... if we're allowed to kick the fijians unconscious without any RC risk, then we might stand a chance of winning a Gold Medal in Brazil ............ ah... but on 3rd thought the Georgians will be there so maybe not quite such a good idea ! :buttkick:

pps . . Does this mean that 15 a-side matches aren't a visual spectacle?

Last edited:

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have no doubt it was a RC under current law. Having said that I was involved in a discussion with some prominent Rugby 7's identities the other night and the suggestion was that 7 v 6 is too much of an imbalance in what is designed as a visual spectacle. Proposal was to do away with RC in the IRB 7s circuit but double the subsequent suspension. I emphasise this is not an official proposal, just throwing around ideas. Thoughts?

Sincerely hope that this idea being thrown around is thrown out before it even hits the table on which it might appear!

Browner's sentiments do not exagerate.

AndyZ

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
7 v 6 is too much of an imbalance in what is designed as a visual spectacle. Proposal was to do away with RC in the IRB 7s circuit but double the subsequent suspension.

Unfortunately, this has become a huge obstacle in many sports. Over here in the US, I'm a part of the great sport of rodeo. Unfortunately, it's become more about the fans than the lifestyle. But without the fans, there is no rodeo. This results in "bending the rules" just to make the fans happy. This is exactly what we're seeing here. No one wants to watch a 6 v 7 onslaught. So in order to keep seats filled, why not just change the game up? We can't. But we also need to keep the spectators. Where do we draw the line?