Hooker Banter

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm interested in people's thoughts on the defending hooker (or person in that position at the line-out) chatting to/at the throwing in hooker.

Now, I see no problem with this. Provided, however, that it is not abusive or intimidatory. My assessor yesterday was of the opinion that any kind of chat should immediately be penalised by a PK as it is against the spirit of the game...

Thoughts?

As I said earlier, I can't see a problem, given the previous provisos (after all, I spent many years stood in the Shed at Kingsholm watching Scott Benton do it week in week out without any remonstrations). The other hooker didn't have a problem, and was, by all accounts, giving as good as he got - even accepting a wager at one point with regards to whether his throw-in would be straight or not... :eek:

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Im more a "manage it" kinda guy so for an assessor to suggest you penalise it straight off is a bit off beam if you ask me.

I think we all know where the line is and if the banter becomes more than that, then you need to step in. Also need to make sure it doesn't spread to the others as well.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So if the crowd are shouting so loudly that the thrower can't hear the calls..........?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
One person's banter is another person's provocation.

I don't much like sledging, but I certainly think an immediate penalty is OTT. Why not the usual stepwise approach?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
One person's banter is another person's provocation.

I don't much like sledging, but I certainly think an immediate penalty is OTT. Why not the usual stepwise approach?

I agree. ATP.

I had a similar situation a few seasons ago where 2 hookers were giving it to each other prior to a scrum engagement (it was a bit Pythonesque having 2 blokes having a go at each other with their arms bound up to props).

Went the AT route. One kept going so he got the P against him.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Manage and escalate as necessary. Totally disagree re immediate penalty.

Sledging, abuse, trying to drown out throw calls , etc are all out of order.

However what you may see from The Shed or on TV is irrelevant to the Grassroots Game.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
When I started reffing, I took the "sticks and stones" approach - words are not harmful. Through bitter experience, I've had to moderate that, guided by the wise counsels of the likes of OB and ST. I now expect the players to let their rugby do the talking. At the first instance of sledging, I tell the player concerned that I regard it as unsporting, and thus liable to penalty. The next instance has me calling the skippers in to give them my views on the matter, and the third (if it occurs) is the PK. I have to say, this has made my life so much easier - and the games, I suspect, more enjoyable for all except the would-be sledgers!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Leicester v some Welsh blokes with out of date hair cuts?
Every penalty kick at goal; absolute silence, regardless who was taking it.

Contrast with Toulouse v Bath
Every penalty kick taken by Bath; booing, shouting, whistling, etc

mumble, mumble, cheese eating surrender monkeys, mumble, mumble Johnny Foreigner, mumble, mumble, no class..........

.....and I dont even like Bath all that much!

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
as a prop, i used to give it and take it from other members of FR union .. but if a back was to try it ... then he should be pinged (for his own sake).

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
.....and I dont even like Bath all that much!
According to written accounts, Elizabeth I declared herself that she bathed once a month "whether I need it or not."

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
According to written accounts, Elizabeth I declared herself that she bathed once a month "whether I need it or not."

Not with me she didn't!!!!:eek: