how can there ever be a clash of colours these days?

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
And I had another bloody colour clash today :mad:

The home side (also the University I belong too), didn't have a change kit because apparently it hasn't been ordered yet.
Away side plays in pretty similar.
Result - Home side has to turn shirts inside out.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nor would I.........your top buttons undone, shocking! :=

It's what happens when a referee has shoulders and the guy ordering the jerseys ordered slim fit players jerseys.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Yesterdays predominant kit colours were Pink & Orange

I had no trouble verbalising Pink, but for some strange reason Orange got me all tongue tied on more than a few occasions ..... Strangely I even referred to them as yellow , twice !! .....

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I had no trouble verbalising Pink, but for some strange reason Orange got me all tongue tied on more than a few occasions ..... Strangely I even referred to them as yellow , twice !! .....

i hate it when that happens. last week's game for me had a team in Black with some red trimming (BLACK) v Blue/Red hoops. (BLUE) but try as I might the I couldn't help the occasional 'red' slipping out.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Call 'em Gold

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
No clashes in Yorkshire this season!

10710774_10154712565125207_880350648250467745_n.jpg

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Yes, I tried to think 'Gold' , but I'd already written Orange on my scorecard (doh me!) and in any event i kept seeing Deep Orange rather than goldie orange , just couldn't shift it....

I will certainly start by writing down Gold next time & see if it helps.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
And, stuck with two senior sides that both use black/blue. Packing red and green, someone's going inside/out.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes, I tried to think 'Gold' , but I'd already written Orange on my scorecard (doh me!) and in any event i kept seeing Deep Orange rather than goldie orange , just couldn't shift it....

We didn't have such a range of colours in my time as a referee. but I would always try stick to single syllable words (no jokes please... thank you)

Blue (covers Purple)
Black
Red (covers Maroon)
White
Gold (always for Yellow)
Green

Orange wasn't a colour I ever saw, and no-one of my era would be ever be seen wearing Pink!!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

A couple of years ago I was watching Red vs Black when the referee awarded a scrum to Green. After a pause, one of the captains said "Which particular shade of Green, sir?" Now the referee looked puzzled. He was convinced he had said black, but I had heard it over the listening kit as well, and noted it down..

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

We didn't have such a range of colours in my time as a referee. but I would always try stick to single syllable words (no jokes please... thank you)

Blue (covers Purple)
Black
Red (covers Maroon)
White
Gold (always for Yellow)
Green

Orange wasn't a colour I ever saw, and no-one of my era would be ever be seen wearing Pink!!

I agree that single syllable colour is much better for quicker and concise verbal communication, but sometimes with major colour clashes you can resort to using their club name and it may be 2 syllables but it works just fine. So I've come to the realisation that what is more important is to remain consistent throughout the game when referring to the one team, therefore if orange or yellow sticks in your head then use it? Use whatever is going to come to your mind the quickest, chances are it will no more than 2 syllables anyway.

If that's all the assessor can pick you up on that you didn't use 'gold' (or your boots were pink or white :rolleyes:) then you've had a good day.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Whilst I agree on the single syllable words for colours, I subscribe to the train of thought that numbers are best for any communication.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But of course - colour and number ideal, but the thread is all about colours. (Unless you're having a problem with the colour of the numbers, which is also regularly a problem when fancy pants designers forget about what it looks like 15m+ away!)

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
which is also regularly a problem when fancy pants designers forget about what it looks like 15m+ away!)

But why is that a problem for the ref? Surely you're never 15m+ away from the action? :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree that single syllable colour is much better for quicker and concise verbal communication, but sometimes with major colour clashes you can resort to using their club name and it may be 2 syllables but it works just fine. So I've come to the realisation that what is more important is to remain consistent throughout the game when referring to the one team, therefore if orange or yellow sticks in your head then use it? Use whatever is going to come to your mind the quickest, chances are it will no more than 2 syllables anyway.

If that's all the assessor can pick you up on that you didn't use 'gold' (or your boots were pink or white :rolleyes:) then you've had a good day.

Love to hear you do Old Caterhamians against Old Haileburians in the RFU Surrey Leagues

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have seen pics this season and last (one side with there shirts inside out) and also noticed a comment in a report posted in another thread about "clashes of colours" :shrug:

How can this happen with the 'tinternet, don't people look at what colours sides are going to wear?? Surely you need to know for you own kit or do you just go with the "I'll pack 3, one will be ok!"

I always make a point of looking at up to date pics of clubs as colours do change, to ensure there's no clash, if there is, when a club calls to confirm their fixture I make sure they tell the opponents to change their shirts.

And before anyone says, down here in the SW it's the away team that changes!

For referees, why dont societies look at what most team in the county wear?

The RFU shirts clash, apart from the yellow one.

Also when wearing a purple shirt, assessors moan it looks like blue, it doesnt, its bloody purple!! not blue!!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Red and White hoops vs Red and Black stripes, you obviously use White and Black respectively.
Red and White hoops vs Black and White stripes, you obviously use Red and Black respectively.
So Red and Whte hoops might be called either colour, depending on the colours worn by the opposition. Do they remember?

Team names are risky because you are relying entirely on your memory - there is no visual clue.

Nobody said it was easy.