How long will half time be Sir?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
RFU Level 7 league match. Away team coach comes to me and says:

We normally go inside at half time. We've spoken to the RFU and they've said there's no minimum time, only a maximum of 15 minutes. We think 10 minutes is long enough, do you agree?

Where do we as referees stand on this?

Today I replied and got an agreement between the two coaches before the game. They agreed on a 7 minute half time as the home team wanted to stay outside.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Here in the Netherlands kick-offs are officially scheduled 90 minutes apart, with the exception of premier matches that are played on Saturdays. So a 13:00 KO does not have to be on the dot if there is a 11:30 before and 14:30 after, but...

... That said, long breaks are a relatively recent innovation. I'm sure that 5 Nations some twenty years ago had a 3-5 minute break, no adverts, just get on with the game. Obviously Italy is to blame.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You know it was!

A guess.

They're the only team I know who do.

I've only reffed them at home. I didn't know they did it away too. I stood outside 'til oppos started looking ready. Lo and behold DP trooped out without me having to go in.

At home it's straight off the pitch. Other places like York or Wath is a bit of a walk which could throw up an issue especially if a referee had to go and fetch them.

I'm waiting for the time they sheepishly return when they find the changing room locked! :biggrin:

I think oppos accept they do it and I assume no team or ref has had issue. I guess they don't take the p!ss.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
A guess.

They're the only team I know who do.

I've only reffed them at home. I didn't know they did it away too. I stood outside 'til oppos started looking ready. Lo and behold DP trooped out without me having to go in.

At home it's straight off the pitch. Other places like York or Wath is a bit of a walk which could throw up an issue especially if a referee had to go and fetch them.

I'm waiting for the time they sheepishly return when they find the changing room locked! :biggrin:

I think oppos accept they do it and I assume no team or ref has had issue. I guess they don't take the p!ss.

Yeah, as it happened I went to my changing room to ensure they didn't take any longer than agreed. In fact they were like ninjas and went out before I'd realised they'd gone so I was the last one out!

It gave me the opportunity to pick up my score card though that I'd forgotten (didn't matter as was wired up to my coach and there's a score board for people to look at).

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had this last week on Exchange. A level 8 match.
Home Skipper says we'll be going in for the full 10 minutes sir.
I informed the opposition and they actually asked are they allowed to do that and 10 minutes seems a bit long.
I said yes they are confidently but didn't actually know so sold it but told them don't worry I'm not hanging around for 10 minutes so they'll be out before then.
Went to get them after 6 so they had about 7.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Locally, 5 minutes is the norm.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Agreement is better than confrontation.

However if they want the full half time of 15 minutes, then you have no authority (as far as I am aware) to make them start earlier.

Having said that; somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes is the norm and once one team is ready the other tends to drift across.

It's not something I have ever had an issue with.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Agreement is better than confrontation.

However if they want the full half time of 15 minutes, then you have no authority (as far as I am aware) to make them start earlier.

Having said that; somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes is the norm and once one team is ready the other tends to drift across.

It's not something I have ever had an issue with.

Whilst two teams stay out on the pitch there tends to be a mutual agreement to re-start as drinks/fags/tactics/chat are exhausted and people start readying themselves. It could be an issue if one (or both) team go(es) in, which is Adam's point. The LotG say no longer than 15 mins and I am not aware of any change to that from the overseeing authority for any particular competition.

[LAWS].....The length of the interval is decided by the match organiser, the Union or the recognised body which has jurisdiction over the game.....[/LAWS]

I don't know at what level teams do habitually go in. I supect Jacko or Womble will know although I'm sure Womble has a 2nd deputy underfootman to go and bang the "Gentlemen please assemble on the pitch for the second half " gong.

Luckily the team concerned in the OP have been promoted beyond my level so it may not be an issue for me any longer! :biggrin:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had this last week on Exchange. A level 8 match.
Home Skipper says we'll be going in for the full 10 minutes sir.
I informed the opposition and they actually asked are they allowed to do that and 10 minutes seems a bit long.
I said yes they are confidently but didn't actually know so sold it but told them don't worry I'm not hanging around for 10 minutes so they'll be out before then.

[LAWS]5.2 HALF-TIME
After half-time the teams change ends. There is an interval of not more than 15 minutes. The length of the interval is decided by the match organiser, the Union or the recognised body which has jurisdiction over the game. During the interval the teams, the referee and the touch judges may leave the playing enclosure.[/LAWS]

The RFU has not given any direction in Regulation 13 over how long an interval is to be. In Cup competitions requiring extra time, the interval between the end of normal time and the start of extra time is determined to be 5 minutes. I suggest this should be taken as the norm for half time at Levels 5-15.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Very rare for sides to stay out on the pitch in a level 4 upwards game. We have 10 minute half times in National Leagues (except in Champ and Prem where a separate set of regs apply).

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Half time is linked to the weather.

If it's cold or wet it's 3-5 mins
If it's hot its 5+

Simple!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have had occasion to ask both teams to wait at least one minute for me to have a drink and catch my breath. Perhaps I should have hidden the ball, they always seem to forget where the spare match balls are during the game so it should work.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Half time is linked to the weather.

If it's cold or wet it's 3-5 mins
If it's hot its 5+

Simple!

Exactly. During the summer here conditions like at the Lions/Barbarians aren't uncommon. I give them a little extra time to drink. As soon as I whistle they're usually sucking back the fluids as fast as they can. If its a cold/rainy day in May or Sept/Oct they're usually telling me they want to start again asap.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Yep, the norm is known, & I've never had the issue either, so i've never remembered the period involved...... But [in preparation for when I do ! ] .....

lets say that Blue Team have got their tails up in the match and aren't wanting to hear the HT whistle , Conversely Red are desperate to hear it & take the steam out of Blue's efforts. Red then tell you they want the full 15 mins interval

so, in the absence of

a] a known organising/competition/Union rule
b] a prematch discussion
c] the agreement of Blue

..... i'm reading that we are compelled to allow them the 15 mins under 5.2, 'even' if we recognise the purpose of their request and expect it to piss their opponents off - anyone disagree?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's a matter of context. In the type of game I referee 15 mins is unheard of, so in your scenario I would say that, no , if they wanted 15 mins they should have agreed that before the game.