How the urban Myth's get spread!!

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
:clap:

Some people are misunderstanding the meaning of "let" when spectators scream "He's got to let him up". The spectators are inferring that the arriving player must WAIT until the prone player gets to his feet.

This is clearly wrong, and the Law does not say that.

What the Law states is that you must not do anything that will actively prevent the player from releasing the ball or getting to his feet.

LAW 14 Definitions
A player who makes the ball unplayable, or who obstructs the opposing team by falling down, is negating the purpose and Spirit of the Game and must be penalised.

So you can't fall on, lie on, kneel on or sit on the player, or hold him down. You may grab the ball and try to take it off him, and he must release immediately.

Exactly. Easy, simple and logical.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A player who makes the ball unplayable, or who obstructs the opposing team by falling down, is negating the purpose and Spirit of the Game and must be penalised.

It is well defined in Law that only players who do not have the ball can be obstructing.

I still think it is referring to a player who goes to ground in order to obstruct the opposition rather than a player approaching a player already on the ground.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I still think it is referring to a player who goes to ground in order to obstruct the opposition rather than a player approaching a player already on the ground.

Perhaps so, but I would have thought the Definitions would be an overview of the whole Law; in this case, Law 14, with 14.1 applying to the player on the ground with the ball, and 14.2 applying to the player arriving at the situation.

Bill Lee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Posts 45 & 58 - last para, say it all. All else is written white noise. Some time ago I was praising Maggie Alphonse who had the speed to get there, then straddled a New Zealand player who had gone to ground to gather a loose ball but wasn't quick enough to place or pass the ball or quick enough to even think about trying to regain her feet or rollaway. Alphonse new her rights, hands on ball, NZ player would not release - Penalty to England.

I think this as much about speed of action and speed of thought - from the players involved.