how to function in the cold

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well the cold & damp is here and with it the onset of numb fingers barely able to hold a pen and keep score.

I sometimes wear a t shirt under my Society top, so the torso copes, can cope with cold legs, which are ok once the game starts and I can keep moving, but my hands just refuse to keep going, at every opportunity thrusting themselves into my, often damp so useless, shorts pockets in a futile attempt at revival!

sticking the arm out for an advantage usally ends up with ice collecting on the tips as I rush around, I am pretty fit I have to say, just making matters worse. I have tried not giving any advantage or penalties, this keeps the fingers functioning, but assessors tend to take a dim view and I do get lots of disgruntled players and not much sympathy, which is pretty disappointing.

Seriously am I alone with this problem, heated pens/ pencils perhaps

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i wear those mitts that backs wear. maybe it's psychological, but it certainly seems to keep my fingers working better.

i suffer from reynauds. you just sound soft :p

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... my hands just refuse to keep going, at every opportunity thrusting themselves into my, often damp so useless, shorts pockets in a futile attempt at revival!
Have you got bad circulation?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Move to San Diego. Works a treat, I've not had cold fingers once:cool:

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have, apparently, low blood pressure, used to get dizzy if I stood up quickly, i'm 6' 3" and 12 stone, getting better at this, but not sure about circulation, but I guess so as I always struggle with cold fingers, especially after an hour or so on the motorbike, thinking of getting heated gloves for that problem

I dont have a reynau, I have a volkswagen, not sure of the connection to my cold fingers

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seriously though. Mountain climbers swear by garlic and ginger to help prevent cold tootsies and fingers.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Get yourself a 4th official - no need for pencil then!

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
A serious apology to Dave Clark, had never heard of Raynaud's just googled it, Dave you may well be spot on, every cold spell is a problem for me, so a big thankyou for the info and my apologies for treating your input in a lighthearted way. I see your a London man, if your on the West list let me know and a beer awaits you

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
nope, i'm in the north region but that doesn't stop you buying me a beer at the next central meeting :)

no offence taken.

do you smoke perchance? mine was a load worse when i did.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
i wear those mitts that backs wear. maybe it's psychological, but it certainly seems to keep my fingers working better.

:p

I'm in the ACT Aust..and often have to contend with -5C to 0C for those morning junior games. I can't say this will defintely help your fingers BUT I wear those compression long sleeve skins for cold (Canterbury brand - u can get white, black or skin colour). This works a treat especially when wind whips off the snow capped mountains or from down south from the snowy mountains. I think the compression all the way down the arms helps circulation to the fingers (also keep the whitsle in the pocket as long as possible before game to warm up) - so I've never had a problem with cold digits.

I think I've seen the canterbury skins on English online store websites for about 35pounds - unless you have a canterbury clearance store nearby where you could expect 50% off that. Worth the money. Also good for training sessions. I have 3 of em - 2 long sleeves and short sleeve for chilli spring days.

Don't worry you won't look like a Tour de France cyclist...all the players seem to wear them now days.. though they will highlight lumps in your guts you never knew existed! Chest and biceps get a makeover too...for the better! (specially for us over 40's where gravity it winning the war)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Colt, I sympathise. As I get longer in the tooth, I get less and less interested in [what passes for] the opinions of whomever thinks it is a good idea to send referees out to shiver in short sleeved shirts. It's a moronic macho thing; the tough guys can cut the arms off their long sleeved jerseys if they want to, but ordinary humans can't sew arms back on when none are supplied.

Given that short sleeves are the moronic outcome of moronic decisions, ignore any morons who tell you that using a long-sleeved undergarment will impair your ability to progress. Feel free to wear two, three or even more shirts if that means you stay warm enough to get the decision right.

As to cold fingers, this is improved by ignoring the morons. However, on a cold day it can still be tough to feel your fingers after a while. I am also prepared to use fingerless mitts on such days, and they really help. They also generally provide an opportunity to find out who the morons are (they jeer at your lack of manliness) and give them a withering stare for their stupidity.

[Lie]But actually, it's not much of an issue for me:biggrin: [/lie]

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hurrrumph :wink:

PS My educational age is well in excess of 7-12 years band and IQ measured above average - phew not a moron then by defined criteria.

PPS Wore long sleeved Canterbury skin acquired at National Schools Sevens as the thank you gift (taking some time to get it over small bump on front of my hidden six-pack) for first time last week, with short sleeve standard Society issue on top. I gave myself a severe talking to regarding 'standards' and being a wimp, but stayed warm.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
What ever the weather I prefer short sleeves, if cold I add a vest under my shirt and sometimes, if really cold a second shirt. With short sleeve. Layers are the thing, I reckon but never, ever long sleeves. YMMV.

When others have decided for me that it is too cold or wet to referee I go road cycling or mountain biking. I never ever get as cold, or as wet, or as cold and wet, reffing as I do cycling. Everything is relative.

Sunday, once the game kicked off, was not aware of being cold.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Society used to sell long sleeved shirts for only a few pounds - I understand that all are now short sleeved.

I tell the refs I meet to blame Deeps...:biggrin:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Get yourself 'cold' base layer.

Personally I use Canterbury - but since their UK distributor went into liquidation earlier this year they are hard to come by - but there are other makes available. Either short or long sleeves are available.

Me I wear long sleeve when its cold (balck sleeves) and don't care who objects. Would draw the line at gloves/mits though - unless medical reasons pervailed.

As a Colour Sergeant once said to me "Any fool can be cold":clap: :)

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I stick to proper kit and will add an under armour long sleeve shirt on very cold days. I have to say that I have often wondered why we cannot wear track suits when it's frigid? our society has very sharp kooga track suits that fit nice and look very official. if the weather is near freezing - why couldn't we wear them? wouldn't hinder me? what's the reasoning?

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
PPS Wore long sleeved Canterbury skin acquired at National Schools Sevens as the thank you gift (taking some time to get it over small bump on front of my hidden six-pack) for first time last week, with short sleeve standard Society issue on top. I gave myself a severe talking to regarding 'standards' and being a wimp, but stayed warm.

I was in the long sleeves are not good camp until the kind donation of Mr Cantebury at the NSS this year, it now helps me keep nice and toasty when on days like today when its very very cold and wet.

I could have swam round the pitch today.

Ben

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Layers are the thing, I reckon but never, ever long sleeves. YMMV.

They're just like ELV's ..."Don't knock em until you try em"..

see peperami/Ben tells you so (he's reading up on ELVs now I'm sure)

PS..just in case you're not sure..they make you all black..not an "All-Black"

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
As a Colour Sergeant once said to me "Any fool can be cold":clap: :)

True, wonder what he would say if you used 'artistic license' with your uniform ;)

The society has a 'uniform' wear what you like underneath it, but please no long undergarments (unless on medical grounds), to me its never that cold ;) and if it is you should query whether the game should be safe to continue.

In short, stop being a fanny :rolleyes:

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cold Fingers?
Simples - wear gloves, those used by runners are thin enough to write when wearing.
Sod the crowd in the thick coats, hats etc.