I'd live to see Nigel Owens ref one soccer game

wayner

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't watch much soccer but now that the World Cup is upon us it is hard to ignore. I don't understand how the constant abuse of the ref is allowed - how did this happen? Was this always the case or is this a new phenomenon.

I would love to see Nigel Owens ref one soccer match - he would be handing out red cards like candy and lecturing in his lovely high pitched Welsh accented voice to all of those clowns.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
he wouldn't though. Referees in football aren't allowed to do that, unlike the IRB, FIFA expects them to suck it up.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The players are bigger than the game, simples!

My father comes to watch me ref 5-6 times a season (at the grounds where there's a stand with seats), he's an ex football referee and still appoints refs to local Sat/Sun matches. We have the discussion on a regular basis about how players are allowed to F & Jeff at the ref with no sanction, his reply, "any ref can YC/RC a player for swearing at him, but if he did, he wouldn't be reffin the following week (talking about Prem refs)" it's just the way it is :shrug:

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Obviously the headlines have been grabbed for other decisions and the game result but when the ref awarded the penalty to Germany yesterday and the Portuguese did the usual disgusting protestations in the ref's face, I'm damned sure I saw him shove a Portuguese player away - as if to say "stop this now".

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd love to see that, just one week - stream of red and yellows from all the referees, players would soon learn and adapt

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
More years ago than I care to recall, I went to watch the young brother as he started out on his refereeing career in soccer - it lasted just three seasons. Having made a, to me, perfectly correct decision, he received a torrent of foul mouthed abuse from the winger standing immediately in front of me and fully thirty yards from the action.

There was a stunned silence when I tapped him on the shoulder and, as he turned, caught him flush on the chin and stood waiting for any of his team mates who might want to take his side!

The brother's response was that it is an accepted part of the game and referees at all levels are instructed to ignore all such abuse totally.

Funnily enough, never did get taken to see him referee another soccer match - although he did go on to become a fine rugby referee until injury put paid to his career just a couple of weeks ago. I would however, have liked to see him return and officiate in a soccer match just to see how he would cope having refereed rugby!!

NM.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't watch much soccer but now that the World Cup is upon us it is hard to ignore. I don't understand how the constant abuse of the ref is allowed - how did this happen? Was this always the case or is this a new phenomenon.

I would love to see Nigel Owens ref one soccer match - he would be handing out red cards like candy and lecturing in his lovely high pitched Welsh accented voice to all of those clowns.

I would be six-a-side by half time!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd love to see that, just one week - stream of red and yellows from all the referees, players would soon learn and adapt

By my count, the referee decks one player (Red 11) with a sweet left-cross, then kicks him when he comes back for more. He ends up RC four players from the same team, including one in the stand, and one that deliberately kicks the ball at him at the restart after the penalty is taken.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
... And he plays on after all that.... Football is another world

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

There was a stunned silence when I tapped him on the shoulder and, as he turned, caught him flush on the chin and stood waiting for any of his team mates who might want to take his side!

NM.

did anyone call the police that time?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The football authorities pay fake lip service to this subject, there simply is no appetite to tackle a society trend in the dumbing down of language.

Now that football refs are spraying the pitch with shaving foam for the 8.5m wall, maybe a can of pepper spray should be next , carried on a referee batbelt!, zap anyone within 1m of your face.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
that spray thing is a farce, loved it in the very first game where the ref sprayed it over a players feet, he was not impressed, I thought he was going to go down holding his foot (had it been inside the box he might well have done!)! Very funny :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

By my count, the referee decks one player (Red 11) with a sweet left-cross, then kicks him when he comes back for more. He ends up RC four players from the same team, including one in the stand, and one that deliberately kicks the ball at him at the restart after the penalty is taken.

Outstanding

But the end of any refereeing career in football, rugby, or any other team sport I suspect.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... We have the discussion on a regular basis about how players are allowed to F & Jeff at the ref with no sanction, his reply, "any ref can YC/RC a player for swearing at him, but if he did, he wouldn't be reffin the following week (talking about Prem refs)" it's just the way it is :shrug:
Then they'd be short of Refs.

Wasn't there a football referees strike a year or two ago, and the FA started importing Refs from Holland IIRC?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Obviously the headlines have been grabbed for other decisions and the game result but when the ref awarded the penalty to Germany yesterday and the Portuguese did the usual disgusting protestations in the ref's face, I'm damned sure I saw him shove a Portuguese player away - as if to say "stop this now".

That'll probably be €100m p/a swearing into the face of €100k p/a

There will be normal distaste uttered from the halo'd pundits and administrators, but it'll be tomorrows chip paper.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The players are bigger than the game, simples!

My father comes to watch me ref 5-6 times a season (at the grounds where there's a stand with seats), he's an ex football referee and still appoints refs to local Sat/Sun matches. We have the discussion on a regular basis about how players are allowed to F & Jeff at the ref with no sanction, his reply, "any ref can YC/RC a player for swearing at him, but if he did, he wouldn't be reffin the following week (talking about Prem refs)" it's just the way it is :shrug:

not if they all did it...

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Then they'd be short of Refs.

Wasn't there a football referees strike a year or two ago, and the FA started importing Refs from Holland IIRC?

That was in Scotland IIRC so it doesn't count as real football.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
not if they all did it...

And the chances of that happening is?

If the top 300 football refs all went on strike over this, they'd only be replaced by scabs , and striking can have a downside as history has shown.