Ignorance

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was ARsing around for KML1 yesterday, high profile Hampshire School's game against a visiting Australian touring side. Following a home team try, the kicker tee'd up for the conversion, started his run and the defenders shot out from the goal line.

As the kicker approached the ball, it fell off the T and, quick as a flash, everybody stopped. I had great difficulty containing myself behind the posts much to the amusement of my AR colleague.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
did we win in the end?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Unfortunately not Dickie, the Aussies went doewn in a close match, but I am told it was an excellent match with both sides highly skilled & well coached, but not as physically big as some Schools players are these days.

Nice to be able to give these lads a RFU Championship level referee with two experienced and miked up ARses for a special tour match like this.

Deeps ommitted to mention he stepped back and pushed a long telephoto lens & camera back into face of spectator who was too close to touchline - oooops :D

Well done the Team of 3 and thanks for sparing the time, and then for making it to the monthly Society Training Meeting almost straight afterwards.

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
I could probably look this up but......

Watching a match on Saturday, kicker (at conversion) took a bizarre run-up that looked like a man negotiating an invisible slalom. Runners from try-line nearly got to him a couple of times. I was debating with a mate what the chaser / charger can actually do if they reach the ball before the kicker. I reckoned they could just stand there and block the kick. He thought they might be able to boot the ball of the tee.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was debating with a mate what the chaser / charger can actually do if they reach the ball before the kicker. I reckoned they could just stand there and block the kick. He thought they might be able to boot the ball of the tee.
The law doesn't say. You're probably right, but if they get enough time to kick it, I'm certainly not going to give the incompetent kicker yet more time to have another go.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Play stops once the attmempt at kicking is over though doesn't it. Wouldn't want them haring off with the ball (as happened to me once):eek:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Ignorance........

Saturdays game, in the bar after, chatting to the First team coach (L8 Team), who was watching the 2nd team game i was reffin.

"Can i just ask why you gave a scrum when our fullback dropped the attempted PK that missed when he was stood in goal"

:chin:

"um.................... well it was a knock on................ scrum 5"

"but i didn't think you could knock on in goal!":Looser:

:wow: :wow: :wow:

But i have to say for about 2-3 seconds he did have me thinking.... "did i get that right???????????":eek:

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Play stops once the attempt at kicking is over though doesn't it. Wouldn't want them haring off with the ball (as happened to me once):eek:

See 9.B.2 (c) 'If the ball falls over after the kicker begins the approach to kick, the kicker may then kick or attempt a drop goal.' except if the ball rolls into touch. You then need 9.B.3 (b) to point out that the kicker has to attempt his drop goal while negotiating the attention of the defending hordes bearing down on him as they are allowed to continue to 'charge or jump to prevent a goal' only. The kicker does not get a separate opportunity at goal however, he has but one bite at the cherry only.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Deeps, Greg is recalling a situation he told us about ages ago, in which the defenders got to the kick first, picked the ball off the tee and charged off towards the other touchline. As a newbie, he wasn't sure what to do IIRC!

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Is it not similar to a FK - if the kicker is charged before he takes the kick then the kick is disallowed (and a scrum awarded but obviously that bit would not apply here) ??

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Deeps, Greg is recalling a situation he told us about ages ago, in which the defenders got to the kick first, picked the ball off the tee and charged off towards the other touchline. As a newbie, he wasn't sure what to do IIRC!

Thanx Dixie, I realised that but thought a quick revisit to the appropriate governance would refresh all who similarly might not be sure.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Is it not similar to a FK - if the kicker is charged before he takes the kick then the kick is disallowed (and a scrum awarded but obviously that bit would not apply here) ??

Er, no, quite the reverse. If the defenders charge too soon and the conversion kick is unsuccessful, then the kicker will be allowed to take the kick again however, this time, no one may charge. 9.B.3 Penalty (red bits) refer.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
anyone see the ignorance of the London Irish player last sat? .. trying to tell the TJ and Ref that the ball was out cos it hit the corner post .. he stopped.. then the ball rolled along in to the in goal where it as pounced on by an attacker .. tee hee,

(the ref pulled it back for a scrum .. )

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Er, no, quite the reverse. If the defenders charge too soon and the conversion kick is unsuccessful, then the kicker will be allowed to take the kick again however, this time, no one may charge. 9.B.3 Penalty (red bits) refer.
I know all that! :D I was talking about when a conversion kick is charged down legally! I was just saying that Free Kicks are similar in that the opposition may charge (provided they are back the correct distance) from the point when the kicker begins his approach to take the kick.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was talking about when a conversion kick is charged down legally! I was just saying that Free Kicks are similar in that the opposition may charge (provided they are back the correct distance) from the point when the kicker begins his approach to take the kick.

That was not immediately clear from my perspective from your previous post but I am glad and grateful for the explanation, I think.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
anyone see the ignorance of the London Irish player last sat? .. trying to tell the TJ and Ref that the ball was out cos it hit the corner post .. he stopped.. then the ball rolled along in to the in goal where it as pounced on by an attacker .. tee hee, (the ref pulled it back for a scrum .. )
Why did the ref "pull it back for a scrum"? If an attacker pounced on a ball in-goal, its a try surely.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why did the ref "pull it back for a scrum"? If an attacker pounced on a ball in-goal, its a try surely.

Perhaps the attackers knocked on before it hit the post?