Improving my 'kick'

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tibbs, it's a long, long season .... and the grounds are very, very hard early on ... so be grateful for small mercies... while you are getting up to speed others may be going down crocked with achilles probs...

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Running backwards has been an eye opener, never having done that exercise before. Why would a prop run backwards? But makes sense muscle-wise.

I saw this comment, and then you mentioned achilles problems in a following post.

I found running backwards was a great way to stretch out the calves and ankles, so you should definitely keep it up as I know you have some of the same lover leg problems that I'm dealing with.

According to a physical therapist I consulted at last weekends tournament I also should look into some more arch support. I am "blessed" with very wide feet and high arches, and apparently the shoes I'm wearing could be straining my achilles. Not just training shoes and rugby boots, but also the day to day shoes.

Thanks to Bryan I now have a nice pair of soft ground boots to go along with my astro turf boots. Actually, ex-lucy, you should look into a pair of those. I know you said that your doc suggested you referee in traininers rather than boots. Well most soccer boot companies these days have a line of boots for playing on artificial turf. They look like regular boots from the top, but they have more cushioning in the sole, and the actual sole will give you more grip on grass then a sneaker/trainer will do.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, with all this running around I am not surprised he is having problems getting his leg over.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
i am having less problems getting my leg over than Inzaman ... it's not the only thing we have in common, both being described as potatoes by spectators in the past ...

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
well here we are .. 8 days before the beg of another rugby season ... and i'm feeling good. Fitness definitely a lot better now than for many years ... cv wise anyways. Good reviews from advisor at Welwyn 10s on my fitness and ref skills, last Sat. Dont get me wrong, there is still room for improvement but i think i was kidding myself over the last 2 seasons about my fitness. Comfort zone etc.
So, i took your advice... bought myself some new trainers. I went to a Runathon shop, took a squat and video assessment from a young polite southafrican chap: overpronation. So he recommended a pair of Asics gel just in @ £70.
Went on my first run with them this morning. I went on my 20min (b) course with a long 4 mins steep hill. I broke my record by 50 secs !! I came in @ 19:10. Some of that may be fitness, some may be other criteria but most of that must be the new shoes and my ability to recover quicker from hills etc!
so, i am going to try my 40 mins (a) course tomorrow. Then it's the beach over the weekend.

I rounded off the session with some 50m sprints uphill and some 50m backwards sprinting uphill.
Interestingly (as hookah said) they do seem to be doing my 'lover' legs some good .. i havnt had a twinge in my calves/ achilles for some time.

I bought some soft ground boots (well, i think they are) last season and used them at the Welwyn 10s ok.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
fitness still good. I have 3 matches this weekend, so should be a good test.
A level 11 on the sat, a colts match on Sun lunch time, followed immediately by a Womens' match.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sounds intense, you must let us know how you feel after it is all over.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
tim White said:
Sounds intense, you must let us know how you feel after it is all over.

I claim my weekend to be more intense. Leave home at 12:15 to drive to Northampton BBOB - level 8 exchange appointment versus Vipers. After a bite to eat and feedback from my assessor I drive for a couple of hours down to Oxford for a house party. Distinct lack of sleep! Mustn't drink too much cos I have to be up at 6 and driving for 7 in order to get back to Derby RFC to ref all day at a juniors tournament sponsored by Lexus. I'm down for u-16s so it should be quite fast. Finish around 7. Shower and straight to work for 7. Last orders 12:30. Get home about 2am ish Monday morning. Ouch.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
My squad were in the Reading Lexus Festival. One team in their group failed to show and the organisation decided not to reshuffle the leagues. My guys lost their first game then waited the best part of three hours for the second to win that one, only to have insufficient points to go on to the next stage.

It was a little disappointing for them to travel 130 odd miles for 28 minutes of rugby and expensive on parent time and fuel too. Not very encouraging, although worst of all was that there were not enough free Landcruisers to go around all the team managers!

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jacko said:
Leave home at 12:15 to drive to Northampton BBOB - level 8 exchange appointment versus Vipers. ......

Takes me back.. BBOB was my first ever exchange...

Fascinating adviser ... almost blind , well very poor eyesight anyway, but acute hearing. Listened to the match ! Gave me some really positive advice regarding management and communication. And he was so accurate in his assessment of my feelings and attitude before, during and after the match... As you would imagine, I still remember it vividly!

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
today's match re-appointed .. now a level 9 ... maybe 8.
was asked to do a colts match in the morning tomorrow as well but chickened out ..

Chris Picard

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Yale v. Harvard 1sts today and New London County v. Harvard Business School tomorrow.

Nothing like Jacko's schedule.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Just had to cancel my appointment for today - my daughter had a baby girl this morning (Abigail) so we are looking after Wyatt.

He will be 2 in December, and is endlessly entertaining, but leaves no time for anything else. I am posting while he has a nap so that he can't "help" :D

As Wol said: "Bisy. Bakson."

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
OB.. said:
Just had to cancel my appointment for today - my daughter had a baby girl this morning (Abigail) ...

Why can't the women get their timing right?! A conspiracy between daughter and Abigail to keep you from rugby!!

Seriously though OB, congratulations. Hope all well and enjoying it :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Daughter and granddaughter released from hospital late last night, but Wyatt was already in bed at our place. So up at 7:30 this morning to discuss Thomas, and fire engines, and and and .... He talks so much I think he is going to be an adviser.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There are a number of drills available to someone who wants to improve their sprinting. I am happy to send you my ARU fitness programme with a sprint specific programme which involves a big variety of things to keep on entertained. It works on a 13 week programme from memory, and i am currently in the middle of it, but the results are really starting to show with my 100 time already dropping from 11.8 to 11.5 after just 8 weeks!!

Speed Sleds are another good option, but are difficult to come across and can do more harm than good if used incorrectly.

One drill i can recomend is the ABCD drill. You create a square with 4 cones, ten metres apart from one another. you then SPRINT to A, JOG to B, SIDEWAYS to C and then BACKWARDS to D. You do this continually for 3 mins, and complete 5 sets with a light 400 between the sets!! This is good cause it helps practice some of the movements we use during the game and as a result of changing it can emulate game situations!

Hi there, would you be able to send that fitness program to me? I have 3 months until the season starts in Victoria and I need to go from 99-101kgs (its fluxuating around there) down to 85kgs to be in contention to ref at the higher grades which is what I want.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hello Oli,

welcome to the asylum.

I'll maybe see you at Mat v.H.'s run around the Tan next Thurs?