Improving my 'kick'

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm with Chris re: reasons for gym esp in winter in England ... got to protect the joints at my age and weight.
Bryan, that is a serious boot ... £70 - £80 for a trainer !! I hate paying more than £30 for what i am going to use for training and practice. Rugby Boots cost £70-£80 as well but they are for the actual sport.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Chris Picard said:
I run on a treadmill or use an ellipital runner for a couple reasons:

1. For us bigger (read fatter) running on a treadmill will take pressure off the knee and ankle joints. Most newer machines are built with a cetain amount of give in them to reduced stress on the joints. Many doctors will recommend bicycling or treadmill use for just such a purpose.

2. Consistency - when setting up interval training, you cannot cheat and shorten sprints up as they are programmed in by time and/or distance.

3. The weather sucks in New England.

4. I can watch the news, sports, etc.

5. Lastly, the gym I attend has some strikingly beautiful women. So, more motivation.

Amen to that. Especially the last one!

I used to wake up at 6am and then spend time lying in bed listening to the radio. I'd then struggle to make time in the evening to go to the gym. Now I wake up and get up at 6, go to the gym & listen to the radio and have the whole evening to play with! Also my energy levels during the day have gone up as well, it's quite remarkable.

There is also a stonkingly good looking girl who is in there every morning, and she likes the running machine in front of the eliptical runner I use. The view is very pleasant! :D :eek:

As for trainers, I have bought Saucony Grid Hurricane 7s, quite a mouthful! Should be £80, but I got them for £50 from www.sportshoes.com. They arrived today, and I've been breaking them in walking round the office today. I'm off to my folks in the country tonight, so I'll test them out on a nice run tomorrow.

Sussex referees have a training session next weekend with at least one GP referee, so hopefully I'll be able to wow them with my new found turn of speed...

Chris

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Fair enough - I agree with the views one gets in a decent gym - all adds to the heart rate... But I just hate treadmills. I spend time on the rower, cycle (mind you I'm not keen on that either), X-trainer, and weights. But running on the spot.. nah can't do it. And running outside in wet and wind is exhilarating anyway.

However, each to his own.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
"And running outside in wet and wind is exhilarating anyway."

i agree. i have run on the Lancs coast along the Lytham promenade at 06:30 ... beautiful to watch sunrise.... over a freezing cold brisk and bracing bay ... the 6 senses loved it... but my calves and achilles did not enjoy the experience.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
The question isn't really about pure sprint speed, so I'd add to what has been advised some extra emphasis on leg speed and acceleration.

LEG SPEED:

Anything that gets your legs moving at about twice their normal running cadence or faster is good ... the obvious ones are sprint drills (there are 4 listed and described on jttp://www.alanterry.me.uk/fitref), but there are alternatives in the gym. I'd be v careful or avoid trying to do these drills on a running machine, but definitely do high cadence work on a bike, eg easy pace then 20-30 revs as fast as poss if the bike is set to hard (and keep repeating) or 40-50 revs if set to easy.

ACCELERATION:

A mixture of power and leg speed is needed. I'm sure you have enough power, Chris so here are a couple of ideas for leg speed:

1. Acceleration runs - get up to speed from standing or slow jog by focussing on fast feet - say over 20m. Rest 30secs-1min. repeat, etc. [Not one for a treadmill].

2. Shuttle runs - pick a point 5-15m away. Run there and back twice or three times (can vary the distances each time). If your ankles/knees are up to it touch the floor at each turn.

With all this sort of work, remember that one of the best ways to increase leg turnover is to focus on fast arms - try it - whatever speed your arms go at you legs have to copy!

Having seen you run (and had the priviledge of playing a game of rugby with you in the same team at the weekend!!!), any running drill that get your knees up with a feeling of light speed and fast arms is good.

If I'd seen this thread before the weekend i'd have had you doing drills at hove instead of those games :eek:)

Keep up the great work, you.

Alan ................

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
AlanT said:
The question isn't really about pure sprint speed, so I'd add to what has been advised some extra emphasis on leg speed and acceleration.

LEG SPEED:

Anything that gets your legs moving at about twice their normal running cadence or faster is good ... the obvious ones are sprint drills (there are 4 listed and described on jttp://www.alanterry.me.uk/fitref), but there are alternatives in the gym. I'd be v careful or avoid trying to do these drills on a running machine, but definitely do high cadence work on a bike, eg easy pace then 20-30 revs as fast as poss if the bike is set to hard (and keep repeating) or 40-50 revs if set to easy.

ACCELERATION:

A mixture of power and leg speed is needed. I'm sure you have enough power, Chris so here are a couple of ideas for leg speed:

1. Acceleration runs - get up to speed from standing or slow jog by focussing on fast feet - say over 20m. Rest 30secs-1min. repeat, etc. [Not one for a treadmill].

2. Shuttle runs - pick a point 5-15m away. Run there and back twice or three times (can vary the distances each time). If your ankles/knees are up to it touch the floor at each turn.

With all this sort of work, remember that one of the best ways to increase leg turnover is to focus on fast arms - try it - whatever speed your arms go at you legs have to copy!

Having seen you run (and had the priviledge of playing a game of rugby with you in the same team at the weekend!!!), any running drill that get your knees up with a feeling of light speed and fast arms is good.

If I'd seen this thread before the weekend i'd have had you doing drills at hove instead of those games :eek:)

Keep up the great work, you.

Alan ................

Cheers, Alan - I wondered when you'd show up on here! I meant to collar you after the session, but you disappeared - I thought you'd want to repeat your stunning break and offload in the touch game after the training session...

Thanks for the info, since I've moved I have a nice large field opposite my house which will be perfect for doing drills on.

See you at the September meeting, and if you referee before that - good luck - and keep giving those penalties! ;-)

Chris

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pablo, i am desperate to lose weight, i am gonna try that prog and let you know.
I have tried the prog listed above (kiwi stuff) for 3 weeks now ... running 5 times per week, 3 x 30 mins, 2 x 20 mins or some cycling... and still weigh 18 stone.
I eat salad for lunch and dinner (with salmon or chicken), i allow myself a reward of 3 pints on a Sat evening.
I cant seem to shift it ... maybe i am just big boned !

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Alan, interesting site ...
your stat: "analysis of top refs shows that they only actually sprint for 122 metres per match."
i am not arguing with it ... but where did you get that stat from?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
ex-lucy said:
Bryan, that is a serious boot ... £70 - £80 for a trainer !! I hate paying more than £30 for what i am going to use for training and practice. Rugby Boots cost £70-£80 as well but they are for the actual sport.
I'll be on the pitch maybe once or twice a week for a total of 3 hours. On the other hand, I'll be at the track or on the treadmill and in the gym for 5-7 hours a week. Not to mention that when I bought these trainers, I had tried on a bunch of others as well, but picked the Asics without realising the price til I got to the checkout. Oh well.

That being said, my referee boots are all around 60 quid each but they're pretty sweet too. I once bought a pair of 30 quid ones and they fell apart immediately and gave me some serious blisters, so I won't make that mistake again.

Take care of your feet gents!
-Bryan

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tibbs said:
Cheers, Alan - I wondered when you'd show up on here! I meant to collar you after the session, but you disappeared - I thought you'd want to repeat your stunning break and offload in the touch game after the training session...
Chris

It felt *very uncomfortable and strange* to be walking onto a rugby pitch to actually play - for the first time since two PE lessons when I was 11 (and didn't touch the ball then!). Especially with such experienced (ex)players everywhere and two international refs playing for the opposition! I know it was only touch, but it was so wierd.

"stunning break and offload" is a quote I shall use often, even though we know all I did was walk through a gap and chuck the ball over my head with my eyes shut :eek:)

... For interested observers, Chris and I met when on the same foundation course last year - I think we're the only two from it to move to society reffing (is that a good return from one course?). Chris will catch me on the fitness front with all his hard work and dedication, but I can never catch him on my biggest weak spot - total lack of playing experience.

Chris, are you up for reffing the Brighton U18 Schools 10s in Sept for some speed work? I did it last year and we only had 3 refs for 3 pitches. (It was on a Wed pm).

Alan ............

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
ex-lucy said:
Alan, interesting site ...
your stat: "analysis of top refs shows that they only actually sprint for 122 metres per match."
i am not arguing with it ... but where did you get that stat from?

I'm pretty sure it came from one of the many RFU handbooks I was given on my foundation course. I can try to dig it out if you'd like a more precise reference.

Alan ..............

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
AlanT said:
Chris, are you up for reffing the Brighton U18 Schools 10s in Sept for some speed work? I did it last year and we only had 3 refs for 3 pitches. (It was on a Wed pm).

Alan ............

Yep - up for that - if you can let me know which Wednesday it is when you know I'll get it booked.

As for the 122m quote - I think it came up on the Socitey Refs course up at Haywards Heath as well.

Chris

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
ex-lucy said:
Pablo, i am desperate to lose weight, i am gonna try that prog and let you know.

Be warned - it's bl00dy hard! I think that the programme given on the site is actually a little too ambitious - I'd recommend adding one minute every three sessions, rather than every two.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
So Tibbs, how is your fitness training coming along?
Having very similar issues to you i am interested (and being the competitive soul that i am) to know how you are doing.

I have been following this excellent regime mainly (thanks Tim):
http://www.nzrugbynet.co.nz/NZRFU/Pr...s+Training.htm

i have slightly adapted it so that i rest on Mondays and Fridays and take it slightly easier on Wednedays.
I am now on Week 5 and can say that i am indeed getting fitter. A 34 minute run 4 weeks ago took me today 30:15.
Running backwards has been an eye opener, never having done that exercise before. Why would a prop run backwards? But makes sense muscle-wise.
But i think the difference has been using this regime alongside the regime Pablo posted.
By doing the Interval training as well as the stamina training, i believe i am getting fitter considerably.
The problem is my weight. I dont seem to be losing much weight.
But i shall persevere.
Only 6 weeks to go ....

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ex-lucy said:
Why would a prop run backwards?

to get back into an onside defensive position whilst still maintaining a view of the opposition's attack?

didds

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
didds ... there are some concepts there that i am struggling with ... (as a prop)
onside?
defence?
position?
view?
oppo's attack?
"just show me the way to the next whiskey bar....."

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I note the concepts you are struggling with, I also note the use of the 'present' tense, I want to asure you that you are in good, and plentiful, company;)

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tibbs, any news?

My fitness regime continues.
Week 7.
Went away for the weekend to Kessingland nr Lowestoft.
Sat: I ran 40 mins along beach on the sand and shingle.
Then sprinted up the steps up the cliff about 20 times.
Sunday: Ran for 50 mins on sand and shingle. hard work.
Interval training conts 3x week. Up to 14 mins now. On ex bike.

I dont seem to be losing much weight.
But i am getting fitter. And looking good. Beer belly is reducing..... I definitely am getting more looks and smiles from the babes. and my wife is much happier with my better fitness....
Only 22 days to the start of the season ....

well .. 9 days if i am selected for Welwyn 10s or Tring 15s ...

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
No news is bad news - I'm bloody injured! :mad:

Did it a few weeks ago by falling off a kerb and knackering my ankle, I wasn't even drunk... Still it's nearly fixed now, so I start again from scratch on Tuesday... :(

The season's getting closer and I'm not fitter - and I really need to be if I'm going to ref at a higher level this year.

Chris