Injured - out until Xmas

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
How annoying!

Decent start to the season, couple of reasonable assessments. Working on positioning and scrums and genuinely felt they were improving. Then 3 weeks ago tomorrow got a twinge in a game I was reffing, walking difficult the next day so went to see a doctor who said it was a bruised muscle, but should be fine in 2 weeks or so.

Bottom-line: he was wrong, there was a complication (some tissue damage) and when I tried jogging again a week ago still very painful. Went to see a doctor up at uni, did a scan which located the damage. Apparently I am out for 6 weeks to a month, I aggravated it by trying to force my way through the pain barrier (which was stupid).

Basically just peed off right now!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I effing hate being injured.

Hope it heals up soon. What's your rehab regime?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Not good, luckily Xmas isn't that far away.

Maybe do some assessing of some more junior guys?

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Stu,

At the moment it's rest for another couple of days, then start some light stretching. Doc says not to attempt to even jog for another week, and stop immediately if there's any discomfort.

Rob,

Thanks for support. Will see if there're any newbies around who would like a helpful face.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Mike the best thing you could do is watch your colleagues and even do an informal report on them. you can learn things just watching and a friendly face around is always helpful
Good luck with the recovery

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Bad luck Mike, hoping it is a month and not six weeks - I urge you to take up ctrainor's advice.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Mike,

If Warwickshire don't want you, I'm sure we could put your talents to good use!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hard luck Mike, been there got that T-shirt, you're young si should heal quickly.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hard lines. Find a form of cardio you can do maybe swimming or cycling will make it easier when you can start running again.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks for support. Will see if there're any newbies around who would like a helpful face.

Mike

I will mention your kind offer at the Exec Meeting on the 14th.
I am sure we can find a job for you.
You might want to buy a pair of wellies :biggrin:

Phil

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mike

I used to get calf pulls several times a season. They were very painful but were NOT torn muscles. Go and google charley/charlie horse. I now drink at least 2 pints of water in the 90 mins before a match and keep taking on water just before the match and obviously through the match. If I do this then I don't get these injuries. Just a thought.

Stuart