Intentional Knock-on?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So, 11.4 talks about negating an "intentional knock-on", but that's not an offence in law 11, only "intentional knock" of the ball forward. This is what your hanging your hat on? This wording does not seem carefully chosen.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Here is a brief summary of the development of the law on knock-ons.

[LAWS]1871
Knocking on i e deliberately hitting the ball with the hand and Throwing Forward ie throwing the ball in the direction of the opponents' goal line are not lawful.[/LAWS]

1883 the word "deliberately" was removed. It didn't actually matter much since the only sanction in those days was a scrum. I don't know how strictly "deliberately" was judged.

[LAWS]1959
A knock-on occurs when the ball is propelled by the hand or arm of a player in the direction of his opponents' dead ball line or when the ball after striking the hand or arm of a player travels in the said direction; provided that a movement of the ball in the player's grasp which is in the nature of a steadying or re-adjustment of the ball within his possession without loss of control is not a knock-on.[/LAWS]
First relaxation of the definition.

[LAWS]1979
A knock-on occurs when the ball travels forward towards the direction of the opponents' dead-ball line after:-

• a player loses possession of it, or
  • a players propels or strikes it with his hand or arm, or
  • it strikes a player's hand or arm [inserted in 1992: and touches the ground or another player before it is recovered by the player.]
NOTES (2) If the knock-on or throw forward is unintentional, a scrummage shall be formed [...] unless:-

• The ball is knocked on by a player who is in the act of charging down the kick of an opponent but is not attempting to catch the ball, or
  • the ball is knocked on one or more times by a player who is in the act of catching or picking it up or losing possession of it and is recovered by that player before it has touched the ground or another player.
[/LAWS]More or less modern

I think it is clear that allowing deliberately knocking the ball forwards was NOT intended to be part of the relaxation.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Note: There isn't a specific law covering 'intentional knock-on' as you can't have an 'intentional knock-on' without violating 11.3 'intentional knock forward'.

[LAWS]11.3. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm. Sanction : Penalty.[/LAWS]

and its companion

[LAWS]11.7. A player must not intentionally throw or pass the ball forward. Sanction : Penalty.[/LAWS]

are surely to prevent the ball carrier from throwing or knocking the ball over the head of a defender. No debate required but would you YC the offender if it was attempted?

The Beauden Barrett intercept is an entirely different scenario as the intent is clearly to catch. Had it failed and the ball gone to ground I would expect no more than scrum. For those who would call for a PK I ask "If the pass had been from his own scrum-half would you still call for a PK?"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
like so many things - it all boils down to intent

did he try and catch it, happened to knock it forward, re-gather ? -- Play on
or did he deliberately knock it forward with the pupuse of regathering -- 11.3 PK

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Has anyone ever seen a TV penalty given for an intentional knock forward when it has been IMMEDIATELY regathered.

Indeed lots of players have been allowed to knock it forward and then regather IF the referee considers that it was part of a 'bonafide' interception or gathering attempt, however knocking it over an oncoming defender & gathering as he passes would be stretching it too much for me, my memory remembers a french player doing that in the 90's & still getting away with it [clip anyone?]

You will always get those decisions that are on the margins, and then the person with the whistle decides on their interpretation in that match, as long as consistent decisions are thereafter applied until the final whistle, then everyone should just accept them.