Intercept attempt batted forward and then caught.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Nor does sarefs.
It was misleading to start off with "Deliberate knock-on?" but ultimately they say that a deliberate knock forward is a penalty offence and that it does not matter if you subsequently catch the ball or not..

Perhaps we need to rewind this thread and start again..

SARefs are playing politics

It's a red herring to say that Petersen would have 'preferred' to catch the ball, of course he might've ..... but the evidence shows his hand action/direction hitting/flipping it up into the air, so it must've been his intention to catch it at the second attempt [note he used two hands for that !]

I've never seen any player ever catch the ball [because the laws of physics wouldn't allow it] utilising Petersens hand action/direction, well ....not without velcro or a baseball glove being involved !

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... Time to bring back common sense, eg it is a knock-on if the ball goes forward out of the player's reach; and deliberately knocking the ball forward is not a knock-on but an offence.
Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but I'm not clear on what you mean by "knocking the ball forward is not a knock-on but an offence" but I think the key word in the whole sentence is "deliberate".

To me, the word "deliberately" means it was done on purpose ie he set out to do it. In the original clip though, I don't think the defender had time to think about it. If he had loads of time (eg say a looooong pass out wide, which could take a second or two to arrive) and it looked like he deliberately slapped the ball forward and caught it - he can't complain if the Ref deems it a deliberate throw forward - ie a PK offence.

Where he only had a fraction of a second to go for an interception, but juggles the ball before catching it cleanly, personally I reckon we should give him the benefit of the doubt - ie play on.

TNT88

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Play on...

You aren't allowed t juggle the ball to yourself but it happens all the time. We only call it up when it has material effect, for example if you throw it over another player.

If he had tapped this over a player and regathered then fine call it up for a knock on. But you can't seriously start calling up any intercept in which a player juggles the ball forward when no one else i around? Hell, even players juggle the ball like that when catching a pass from their own team mate.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Play on...

You aren't allowed t juggle the ball to yourself but it happens all the time. We only call it up when it has material effect, for example if you throw it over another player.

If he had tapped this over a player and regathered then fine call it up for a knock on. But you can't seriously start calling up any intercept in which a player juggles the ball forward when no one else is around? Hell, even players juggle the ball like that when catching a pass from their own team mate.

Exactly my point ....... it's never called - by anyone , so existing law clearly isn't appropriately worded. IMO better to have law mirror what the whole of the rugby world expects & is playing ... OR .... everyone calls them, but even OB knows that isn't going to happen.

Lets try this another way, vote on whether these infringed Law 12.1.[e] & say whether you'd ever expect them to be penalised

12.1[e]Intentional knock or throw forward. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm, nor throw forward.

1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW_3WefLSds#t=44m54s
2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...nugarE#t=4483s
3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rrtpoc5IZ9o
4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzvnexjWJYg

I'll start
1] Yes, no
2] Yes, no
3, Yes, no
4] Yes, maybe.

?

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Exactly my point ....... it's never called - by anyone , so existing law clearly isn't appropriately worded. IMO better to have law mirror what the whole of the rugby world expects & is playing ... OR .... everyone calls them, but even OB knows that isn't going to happen.
I have seen it called, which is probably why it does not often happen. (In any particular case it is always possible that the referee did not see it as deliberate.)

If you want to test a referee I suggest you deliberately knock the ball over a would-be tackler's head and see if he waits for you to catch it.